An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's It Like To Wear A Habit In Hot Weather?

Shana

It's a very hot day where I live and it made me wonder what's it like to wear a habit in hot weather? Especially a full, traditional black one. Just curious because I'm discerning to be a sister and if I were to become a sister I'd be wearing a habit so I was just curious.

laetitia crucis

Well, even though my habit wasn't black (though it was definitely "traditional", except that we didn't wear wimples), I feel my answer might as well apply to black habits, too: [b]It's HOT[/b]. :lol:

However, after a while I really did get used to it. (Honest!) Although I will admit that the first summer in the habit was a little rough. Once you make it past that summer... it's all good. [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG]

Oddly enough, I now find that I prefer longer, loose-fitted sleeves over a short sleeved shirt any day. Same goes for choosing trousers/pants over shorts, and longer ankle-length skirts over shorter skirts.

I get colder much more easily than I did before I entered the convent, so much so that I usually have a light jacket on when I go to stores or even while in an air conditioned car. :sweat:

OnlySunshine

I know that some orders create habits specifically for hotter climates. There was one article I read about a nun who ran a marathon and her habit was made of some kind of jogging material. I've never worn a habit, but I've often wondered how it is wearing it in hotter temperatures too. ;)

TeresaBenedicta

What does one wear under a habit during the summer? Or in general? I've always wondered that too. :unsure:

CatherineM

The Filipino nuns who go to our parish have switched to their white habits for summer. In winter they wear a dark blue. One wears Harley Davidson boots under her habit in winter. She's only 4'8" tall, so quite dramatic.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='06 July 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1278458878' post='2138719']
What does one wear under a habit during the summer? Or in general? I've always wondered that too. :unsure:
[/quote]

I can only speak for my own experience in my former community, though I'd be curious know about others' random habit info, too! :clapping:

We wore a simple calf-length underskirt all year round, usually this was made from scrap habit material -- cotton/polyester blend. Sisters normally wore t-shirts in the warmer months (while some additionally wore shorts under their underskirts, too). There were also a few Sisters that just wore their habit with their underskirt and normal undergarments without the t-shirt. Socks were optional. (Unless it's a major feast day and you're in the novitiate -- then you have to wear black socks with polished black shoes. Professed Sisters could still wear sandals w/o socks on major feast days, unless you were renewing your vows or something of that nature.)

In the cooler months, we wore long-sleeved shirts, and several of us wore long underwear ("long johns"/thermals) in the winter with tall black socks. Sometimes multiple layers of socks. :cold:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 July 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1278460590' post='2138735']
I can only speak for my own experience in my former community, though I'd be curious know about others' random habit info, too! :clapping:

We wore a simple calf-length underskirt all year round, usually this was made from scrap habit material -- cotton/polyester blend. Sisters normally wore t-shirts in the warmer months [b](while some additionally wore shorts under their underskirts, too).[/b] There were also a few Sisters that just wore their habit with their underskirt and normal undergarments without the t-shirt. Socks were optional. (Unless it's a major feast day and you're in the novitiate -- then you have to wear black socks with polished black shoes. Professed Sisters could still wear sandals w/o socks on major feast days, unless you were renewing your vows or something of that nature.)

In the cooler months, we wore long-sleeved shirts, and several of us wore long underwear ("long johns"/thermals) in the winter with tall black socks. Sometimes multiple layers of socks. :cold:
[/quote]

Yay for shorts underneath skirts!! Haha!! I thought I was the only oddball that did that. :lol_roll: I do it whenever the skirt allows for it.

Ooooh, polished black shoes. That sounds intimidating!!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='06 July 2010 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1278462239' post='2138748']
Yay for shorts underneath skirts!! Haha!! I thought I was the only oddball that did that. :lol_roll: I do it whenever the skirt allows for it.
[/quote]

I thought I was the only one that did that, too! Haha! Needless to say, not many of us did that, but I was assured that I was not alone in that "oddball"-ness when I entered the convent. :cheers:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta']Ooooh, polished black shoes. That sounds intimidating!!
[/quote]

It actually reminded me of having to polish my black marching band shoes before competitions! :lol:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 July 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1278462588' post='2138751']
I thought I was the only one that did that, too! Haha! Needless to say, not many of us did that, but I was assured that I was not alone in that "oddball"-ness when I entered the convent. :cheers: [/quote]

So what did you take with you, in regards to lay clothing? Shorts, tee-shirts, long-johns (I've discarded my long-johns for my under-armour pants and longsleeves... softball in the northwest required it!!), pajamas... I feel like I'd have just about the same amount of clothes in the convent as I do at home (minus a few duplicates, I'm sure)... Granted I don't own a lot of clothing as it is.

[quote]
It actually reminded me of having to polish my black marching band shoes before competitions! :lol:
[/quote]

We never polished the band shoes, although looking back, I'm not sure why not!! Maybe because they were always covered by our spats (buttons on the outside, freshman!).

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 July 2010 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1278462588' post='2138751']
I thought I was the only one that did that, too! Haha! Needless to say, not many of us did that, but I was assured that I was not alone in that "oddball"-ness when I entered the convent. :cheers:

[/quote]

Yay for shorts under skirts! :cheers:

I have pettipants that I wear under skirts and dresses that my Nana bought me a few years ago. I used to have another one when I was younger, but I outgrew it and I was desperate for another one. I had to resort to wearing pj shorts underneath my skirts because they were the only kind that weren't bulky or thick. I talked to my Nana about it because she bought the first one I had and I didn't know where she got it. I've only seen skirt-style slips. She bought me another long one and I LOVE it! I hope to bring a few to the convent with me when I join one day (God-willing). They look like this:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SYNERV71L._AA300_.jpg[/img]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='06 July 2010 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1278463052' post='2138755']
So what did you take with you, in regards to lay clothing? Shorts, tee-shirts, long-johns (I've discarded my long-johns for my under-armour pants and longsleeves... softball in the northwest required it!!), pajamas... I feel like I'd have just about the same amount of clothes in the convent as I do at home (minus a few duplicates, I'm sure)... Granted I don't own a lot of clothing as it is.[/quote]

The novice mistress had given me a verbal list (apparently, they never had an "official Postulant Supplies" list until my class since just about all of us asked for a list :lol: ) that included "pajamas", and "sports clothes". So, for "sports" clothes, I brought two or three pairs of jogging pants (the non-"swooshy" type) and probably three to five t-shirts. The list itself was very non-specific, so I had a somewhat difficult time knowing exactly what to bring. :unsure: However, once I got there, if we were missing something we could either have our parents (or whoever else we knew) mail missing articles of clothing to us, or (more often than not) we would chose from the "Caritas box/closet" -- this usually contained extra clothes that Sisters would receive from family/friends that they didn't need.

We also acquired several t-shirts from various events, like our youth festivals/camps and WYDs. :)

For our month-long summer camping/hiking excursion several Sisters had t-shirts, shorts, and jogging pants for that. And lots of bandanas and baseball caps. Oh, and I'm pretty sure "the list" listed "swimsuit", too. (Which the Sisters always wore a dark shirt over top and dark shorts underneath when we went swimming in the summer.)

I was actually pretty surprised at how much lay clothing I had in the convent. :lol: Granted, it was just enough to fill at least one big dresser drawer.

Hmmm... from what I can remember, here's what our postulant "list" included:

- 2 short-sleeved white blouses
- 2 long-sleeved white blouses
- undershirts
- undergarments (not color specific)
- black socks
- tennis shoes
- black or brown closed-toe casual dress shoes
- black or brown sandals (with heel strap)
- black fleece
- black sweater
- winter coat (preferably dark color)
- sports clothes
- pajamas
- Imitation of Christ
- Bible
- Christian Prayer (although several of my classmates already had the 4-volume LOTH)
- True Devotion (de Montfort)

:scratchhead: ....I think that was all.

After you arrived, you had to show Mother (the Novice Mistress) all that you had brought with you. She would give the "okay" if you could keep all that you brought, and put whatever else you didn't need in "Caritas". Or if it could be used as a future gift (for a visiting Sister, priest, etc) then that would be put in a special place as well. (That's what happened to a beautiful pix one of my friends got for me while visiting the Vatican and gave to me as a "going away" present, and this awesome 20-decade black onyx rosary my priest back home had given me as a "going away" present... :sadder: That made me sad. Anyhoo, I guess that was a [i]really [/i]quick way to learn detachment, right? :sweat: )

We could also bring various books if they were approved by the Novice Mistress. Ah, and of course (even though it wasn't on "the list") we brought our own toothbrush and hair brush.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta']We never polished the band shoes, although looking back, I'm not sure why not!! Maybe because they were always covered by our spats (buttons on the outside, freshman!).
[/quote]

:smokey: We didn't have spats... that might have been nice, and definitely would have saved time! :lol:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='06 July 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1278463823' post='2138763']

I have pettipants that I wear under skirts and dresses that my Nana bought me a few years ago. I used to have another one when I was younger, but I outgrew it and I was desperate for another one. I had to resort to wearing pj shorts underneath my skirts because they were the only kind that weren't bulky or thick. I talked to my Nana about it because she bought the first one I had and I didn't know where she got it. I've only seen skirt-style slips. She bought me another long one and I LOVE it! I hope to bring a few to the convent with me when I join one day (God-willing). They look like this:

[/quote]

:o

Oh my goodness -- I love those!!! I want!

Currently, I'm actually wearing pj shorts under my skirt today. Hahaha! Now that I know these pettipants exist I'll be on the hunt! HOW AWESOME!!!

Seriously, I think we need a "high five" emoticon. In it's place, I'll be using this one for now: :cheers:

:woot:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='06 July 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1278463823' post='2138763']

[/quote]

You can get those pettipants at Amazon. Wonderful under a long skirt in summer.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='06 July 2010 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1278465640' post='2138782']
You can get those pettipants at Amazon. Wonderful under a long skirt in summer.
[/quote]

Oooooo.... thanks for the heads up, DameAgnes!

Looking at them now -- And they're not too pricey!!!

Thank you so much!! :notworthy:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 July 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1278465782' post='2138784']
Oooooo.... thanks for the heads up, DameAgnes!

Looking at them now -- And they're not too pricey!!!

Thank you so much!! :notworthy:
[/quote]

Kohls has them on sale, too! I'll be buying some on Thursday when I get paid! :)

[url="http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page_multiple.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524870892403&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping3&mr:trackingCode=C6755AAD-E5BF-DE11-974B-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA"]Petti Pants at Kohls[/url]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae