An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's It Like To Wear A Habit In Hot Weather?

Shana

IgnatiusofLoyola

Even though I will not be wearing a habit anytime soon (or ever, I expect), I've always been curious about what nuns/Sisters wore under their habits, but have never had anyone to ask. I had read that in pre-Vatican II days with the traditional, more elaborate habits, some Orders wore several layers of petticoats under their habits. (No one ever specified what was worn on top.)

Although I live across the street from a convent (that's what they call it), "my" Sisters wear a modified habit, and I would never think to ask an 80-year old Sister what she wore under her habit. Sister Helen and I did discuss the types of clothes they wear over their habits in winter, because I found some nice, comfortable snow boots at LandsEnd for $20, and I wanted to buy a pair for Sister Helen--not only to keep her feet warmer, but also because they had a nice tread on the bottom so she'd be less likely to slip. She was very hesitant, so I showed her the catalog to prove to her that the boots were only $20, and she could see that they were very simple. (Although I'm pretty sure she asked permission before she accepted the gift from me.) She loves to walk, even in winter. I laugh, because another friend gave her a cane with a spiked end for walking on snow/ice. So be careful, even if you see a harmless looking elderly Sister--she may be carrying a lethal weapon.

FYI--Even though the Sisters wear modified habits, they are black wool, and so the Sisters have the option of wearing a light blue "summer habit" that looks like it's made of cotton or a cotton blend. The Sisters in warmer climates (like the Phillipines) wear white or light-colored habits year-round, even white veils (I think--don't hold me to that. Nursing sisters also wear white veils, so the white veils I saw in pictures may have been because they were nursing Sisters.)

One thing that impressed me about ths Order with regard to the vow of poverty, is that even though both provincial centers in the U.S. are in cold climates, there is no "standard" winter coat or cape given to the Sisters. Instead, the Sisters depend entirely on donations for coats, and if they need a warm coat, they go through the donated coats, and find the one that fits best. As a result, even though most of the Sisters I've seen seem to have found a black coat to wear, and black is the preferred color, there is not a strict rule that the coat has to be black. I've never seen a Sister in a brightly colored winter coat, but I have seen Sisters wearing coats in other dark or muted colors.

I've gotten off-topic (as usual). If anyone else who has worn the habit feels comfortable giving more detail on the habit, it sounds as if many of us would be interested. Although in my case, it is simply curiosity, I would think that it would be of legitimate interest for those who are planning to enter religious life, but they might feel uncomfortable asking.

One thing I've wondered about is whether it is uncomfortable to wear a wimple (or is it "guimpe"). The starched wimples worn by some Orders look very uncomfortable, but perhaps they aren't.

MG someone else who wears pettipants!!! I wear a longer version with elastic and frills on the bottom. Under skirts or under long tunics that aren't tops but aren't dresses either. We call them mamelukker. Even word is funny. So is pantaloons.

Heat is actually something I'm not the biggest fan of, and I've been considering visiting i.e the nashville dominicans. But me living in the deep south? I'd like to see that :lol: I'd be like a polar bear in sahara.

I wonder if there's situations when they also can be too cold. But I've seen some dominican friars here wear some kind of wool habit. That's cool imo.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='07 July 2010 - 05:15 AM' timestamp='1278468919' post='2138795']
Even though I will not be wearing a habit anytime soon (or ever, I expect), I've always been curious about what nuns/Sisters wore under their habits, but have never had anyone to ask. I had read that in pre-Vatican II days with the traditional, more elaborate habits, some Orders wore several layers of petticoats under their habits. (No one ever specified what was worn on top.)

[/quote] "Not more than necessary" is the answer i got from a monk and some seminarians. Somehow inappropriate discussion seem to happen around me. :saint:

Edited by Hilde

MissScripture

[quote name='Hilde' date='06 July 2010 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1278470544' post='2138804']
MG someone else who wears pettipants!!! I wear a longer version with elastic and frills on the bottom. Under skirts or under long tunics that aren't tops but aren't dresses either. We call them mamelukker. Even word is funny. So is pantaloons.

Heat is actually something I'm not the biggest fan of, and I've been considering visiting i.e the nashville dominicans. But me living in the deep south? I'd like to see that :lol: I'd be like a polar bear in sahara.

I wonder if there's situations when they also can be too cold. But I've seen some dominican friars here wear some kind of wool habit. That's cool imo.

"Not more than necessary" is the answer i got from a monk and some seminarians. Somehow inappropriate discussion seem to happen around me. :saint:
[/quote]
I know the Nashville Dominicans have winter jackets and long underwear. They are in the north-ish part of TN, and they do get a little bit of snow. Plus some of their missions are up north (like in MN...where they get a lot of snow. lol).

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='06 July 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1278470544' post='2138804']
Heat is actually something I'm not the biggest fan of, and I've been considering visiting i.e the nashville dominicans. But me living in the deep south? I'd like to see that [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] I'd be like a polar bear in sahara.

[/quote]

There is almost nowhere in the U.S., except perhaps the Pacific Northwest along the ocean, or Alaska, where you won't experience at least some serious summer heat. One difference, however, between various parts of the U.S. is whether the temperature cools down at night. In most of California, for example, the temperature cools down at night, and it isn't as humid during the day. But, in the California Central Valley, for example, the daytime weather will probably be in the 90's/100's all summer. The parts of California along the ocean have more temperate weather, and parts of San Francisco can be downright cold in summer. Mark Twain is rumored to have said something to the effect that the worst winter he ever spent was July in San Francisco. But, SF is built on hills, it has a number of microclimates, and it might be warm in one part of the city and very cool in another. People think of California as being warm and with lots of sunshine everywhere, but, in fact, it has a very wide variety of climates.

Here in the Midwest, it doesn't cool down at night in summer, and is more humid. But, Chicago weather is actually not bad most summers, and air conditioning is almost universal. (Unfortunately, this summer so far is too warm for my taste. ) But, last summer and the summer before, I teased my family that the summer weather was better in Chicago than in the SF Bay Area.

Note: Nashville may not be the "deep south" but it is quite warm there in the summer. The tradeoff, of course, is that Nashville is milder in the winter. Also, the Nashville Dominicans send Sisters to schools all over the U.S., so you can't predict where you will end up living. But, I suspect this is also true for many (most?) active Orders.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='07 July 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1278472534' post='2138811']
[b]There is almost nowhere in the U.S., except perhaps the Pacific Northwest along the ocean, or Alaska, where you won't experience at least some serious summer heat.[/b] One difference, however, between various parts of the U.S. is whether the temperature cools down at night. In most of California, for example, the temperature cools down at night, and it isn't as humid during the day. But, in the California Central Valley, for example, the daytime weather will probably be in the 90's/100's all summer. The parts of California along the ocean have more temperate weather, and parts of San Francisco can be downright cold in summer. Mark Twain is rumored to have said something to the effect that the worst winter he ever spent was July in San Francisco. But, SF is built on hills, it has a number of microclimates, and it might be warm in one part of the city and very cool in another. People think of California as being warm and with lots of sunshine everywhere, but, in fact, it has a very wide variety of climates.

Here in the Midwest, it doesn't cool down at night in summer, and is more humid. But, Chicago weather is actually not bad most summers, and air conditioning is almost universal. (Unfortunately, this summer so far is too warm for my taste. ) But, last summer and the summer before, I teased my family that the summer weather was better in Chicago than in the SF Bay Area.

Note: Nashville may not be the "deep south" but it is quite warm there in the summer. The tradeoff, of course, is that Nashville is milder in the winter. Also, the Nashville Dominicans send Sisters to schools all over the U.S., so you can't predict where you will end up living. But, I suspect this is also true for many (most?) active Orders.
[/quote]

Yup, quite true. Although, even here it does get hot at times. For instance, today we got up to 90 degrees. We might get a week or so of 100 degree weather (not necessarily all at the same time, but it could be). Now, I don't live right on the coast, but I am on the rainforest side of the state. (Most people don't know that Washington and Oregon are split by the Cascade Mountain Range, rain forest on the West side and desert on the East.) But right on the ocean it probably gets up to the upper 80s in the dead of the summer.

I do have to admit... of all the places to wear the habit, the Pacific Northwest would be prime. Minus the rain that hounds us 80% of the year.

MissScripture

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='06 July 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1278472534' post='2138811']
There is almost nowhere in the U.S., except perhaps the Pacific Northwest along the ocean, or Alaska, where you won't experience at least some serious summer heat. One difference, however, between various parts of the U.S. is whether the temperature cools down at night. In most of California, for example, the temperature cools down at night, and it isn't as humid during the day. But, in the California Central Valley, for example, the daytime weather will probably be in the 90's/100's all summer. The parts of California along the ocean have more temperate weather, and parts of San Francisco can be downright cold in summer. Mark Twain is rumored to have said something to the effect that the worst winter he ever spent was July in San Francisco. But, SF is built on hills, it has a number of microclimates, and it might be warm in one part of the city and very cool in another. People think of California as being warm and with lots of sunshine everywhere, but, in fact, it has a very wide variety of climates.

[/quote]
There are also some Nashville Dominicans in Australia...though I don't know the climate, there.

OnlySunshine

When I went to the "Come and See" in January with the CFR Sisters, I brought Cuddl Duds with me since it was freezing cold weather! I wore them everyday. I happened to ask what the Sisters do when it's cold outside since they wear sandals, and I was told that they also wear long underwear, socks (with sandals), coats and whatever else they need (gloves, scarf, etc). One of the Sisters showed me her wool socks that she brought with her to keep her footsies warm. :))

CatherineM

I also wore pettipants when I was able to wear dresses. Good thing too. I once tripped into the jury box head first, and my skirt went over my head. I never thought I'd feel a breeze there in court.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='CatherineM' date='06 July 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1278476299' post='2138828']
I also wore pettipants when I was able to wear dresses. Good thing too. I once tripped into the jury box head first, and my skirt went over my head. I never thought I'd feel a breeze there in court.
[/quote]

I wore pettipants (of various styles) all through high school and college. This was the first era of the mini-skirt, and our skirts were truly mini. My skirts were in no way the shortest, but they were still very short. About the only way to keep even a semplance of modesty when getting in and out of cars, or when there was a wind, or even crossing your legs, was to wear pettipants under our mini-skirts. We could have worn shorts, I suppose, but, shorts could make your hips look fat if the skirt was somewhat tight. We had some wild pettipants--defininitely not your grandmother's pettipants. I had several pairs, including one pair that were purple and green striped. I wore jeans more often than skirts, but we did wear skirts, too. Thank goodness I inherited my mother's nice legs, because this was an era where your legs definitely showed!

I've often marveled at pictures of nuns in those heavy old habits, with the close (or elaborate) wimples, who served in places like New Orleans. What an offering they must have made of their discomfort.

tnavarro61

[quote name='CatherineM' date='07 July 2010 - 08:28 AM' timestamp='1278458901' post='2138720']
The Filipino nuns who go to our parish have switched to their white habits for summer. In winter they wear a dark blue. One wears Harley Davidson boots under her habit in winter. She's only 4'8" tall, so quite dramatic.
[/quote]

Filipina nuns? What order? O my sisters.

One time i asked a poor clare nun (wears a wimple a scapular, and two tunics) and she said it is hot but she's get used to wearing it. We're in the Philippines and it's perpetual summer for Americans (i think)

We wore a full habit, but without the wimple, similar to what LC was saying. We were in Alabama ... and oh, it was so hot! I remember once sweeping the breezeway (the huge outside "porch" kind of area) with Sr. Clare Marie one day shortly after I entered, and we were sweating like PIGS, it was terrible! :lol: Honestly, though, like someone else said, the first summer was the worst, and for me, that wasn't even in my habit, that was in my postulant outfit (long-sleeved, buttoned-up-to-the-top oxford shirt with a T-shirt underneath, polyester brown vest with a polyester brown long skirt that probably fell mid-shin with a regular silky slip underneath [those slips were only worn by postulants, after that you got a petticoat], knee-high socks). I never got used to the Alabama heat (I'm in PA now, and the heat wave sure reminds me of why I never liked the Alabama climate!!!) but it actually wasn't as bad as people thought it would be. Or maybe it was just so traumatic I've forgotten how bad it was ... ;) :lol: Just kidding, of course!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='06 July 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1278458878' post='2138719']
What does one wear under a habit during the summer? Or in general? I've always wondered that too. :unsure:
[/quote]

Pretty much the same as LC. We had what we called a "petticoat" made of some sort of thin cotton material - it served basically like a pocketed slip. We wore knee-high socks all year long, even the Sisters who wore sandals (you could choose if you wanted regular shoes or sandals -- you were supposed to have two pairs of shoes, so whatever combo you wanted) wore socks under them. A plain white T-shirt went under the tunic, and this was all year long. In the winter, also, we were allowed to bring some thermal long underwear, so you could wear that under your habit if you chose -- but even if you wore the long underwear pants, you were supposed to wear your petticoat over that. You could replace your T-shirt with the long-sleeved thermal underwear, though, if you wanted.

The Sisters were given a clothing list of things to bring with them to the convent, so no, it was nothing like having as many clothes as I have now! (Unless you don't have very many clothing!)

Taking LC's list as a reminder, these are the things we were supposed to bring, as far as I can remember!

- 2 long-sleeved white blouses (for postulants)
- About half a dozen white T-shirts
- White undergarments, including those specific to women, but no "hip-hugger" underwear (they had to go to your waist, at least)
- A dozen brown knee-high socks
- 2 pair of black shoes (similar to the SAS kind), or brown/black sandals if you wanted them
- Pair of tennis shoes, didn't matter what kind - this would be used for exercise times
- 2 sets of long underwear, if you wanted them
- Brown sweater, if you had one--if not, the Sisters would provide one for you if you needed it
- winter coat (preferably dark color, and preferably one that was waterproof)
- 2 plain long nightgowns (color didn't matter)
- A full-length housecoat (aka robe) preferably one that had a zip-up front rather than a tie
- RSV CE Bible (which could be purchased from Scepter publishers or Ignatius press, or via the Sisters' bookstore)
- 4 volume Franciscan Liturgy of the Hours (which could be purchased through the Sisters' bookstore)

That's all I can remember? :think:

Any other books that we brought with us were approved by the Novice Mistress - no, we weren't supposed to bring our entire library! :lol: But you could bring some other religious books, like Imitation of Christ, or even some more modern religious books, as long as they were approved. The Sisters had the BEST library in the world, so we were never in want of good spiritual reading material!!! :woot: Although the postulants and novices could only read a certain section of the library - if they wanted to read a book outside of their designated section, they had to get permission.

Since I have really started looking at the websites of communities I am interested in - and they all wear a habit - I now have a lot of questions on this issue. I mentioned in my first post that I am looking for a community that treats its members like adults - I don't mean in the sense that you can do what you want. I am well aware that I would take a vow of obedience. But here's an example. Several communties, e.g. Nashville, Sisters of Mary, seem to require postulants to wear men's undershirts. Why is that necessary? Why should a woman have to wear a man's t-shirt? What's wrong with a regular slip? These communities all have a postulant uniform that includes a vest or jumper - no modesty issue that I can see. The undershirts just seem weird to me.

[quote name='ksterling' date='07 July 2010 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1278516191' post='2138899']
Since I have really started looking at the websites of communities I am interested in - and they all wear a habit - I now have a lot of questions on this issue. I mentioned in my first post that I am looking for a community that treats its members like adults - I don't mean in the sense that you can do what you want. I am well aware that I would take a vow of obedience. But here's an example. Several communties, e.g. Nashville, Sisters of Mary, seem to require postulants to wear men's undershirts. Why is that necessary? Why should a woman have to wear a man's t-shirt? What's wrong with a regular slip? These communities all have a postulant uniform that includes a vest or jumper - no modesty issue that I can see. The undershirts just seem weird to me.
[/quote]

Behold your groom, your master, your king. Do you expect to be dressed better than He? He wore this for love of you. Wear whatever He asks you.
[img]http://virtualreligion.net/forum/images/JX_Caviezel.jpg[/img]

Sister Marie

[quote name='ksterling' date='07 July 2010 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1278516191' post='2138899']
[/quote]

My community wears a habit and a similar postulant outfit to what others have described here. The men's undershirts are really important. I know that seems strange, haha, it seemed that way to me when I entered but it really makes sense. First, an undershirt because as much as women like to think they don't sweat - they do! The undershirt protects the white blouse from the unfortunate effects of such sweat. I think the reason why most wear men's undershirts is because they are relatively inexpensive when you buy them in the packs from walmart or k-mart.

My community wears a modified habit which includes a lighter summer habit. It is a light color so I still wear my undershirt but we aren't required to because we wear slips as well. Without the undershirt though the habit needs to be washed more frequently in the summer and you can't "protect" it as well without the undershirt.

It is true that you get more used to the heat after the first summer, but I live in PA and right now this heat wave has definitely been... memorable. I have abandoned my undershirt until the temperatures go down to the nineties, haha. I'll just do more laundry for these days.

Last night when I went into our kitchenette to get a glass of water on my way to the community room there was a message on the white-board that said, "Your mission: Find a cool room and sleep there." We don't have air conditioning in our bedrooms but some of the common areas do have AC. The temperature didn't go down last night and so the sisters scattered to anywhere they could find some relief from the heat, especially the older sisters. So, as hot as it gets, we always make it work! I thought it was a little funny. Anyway, keep cool and hydrated everyone, habits or not!

Prayers,
Sister Marie