An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's It Like To Wear A Habit In Hot Weather?

Shana

CatherineM

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='07 July 2010 - 05:21 AM' timestamp='1278498064' post='2138865']
Filipina nuns? What order? O my sisters.

One time i asked a poor clare nun (wears a wimple a scapular, and two tunics) and she said it is hot but she's get used to wearing it. We're in the Philippines and it's perpetual summer for Americans (i think)
[/quote]
You know, I've never asked. They work at Catholic Social Services with immigrant women. CSS is a block away from church, so they make daily mass every day.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='07 July 2010 - 05:21 AM' timestamp='1278498064' post='2138865']
Filipina nuns? What order? O my sisters.

One time i asked a poor clare nun (wears a wimple a scapular, and two tunics) and she said it is hot but she's get used to wearing it. We're in the Philippines and it's perpetual summer for Americans (i think)
[/quote]

The Order of Sisters who live across the street from me, the Sisters of Christian Charity (not the same as the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity) have a mission for the blind in the Phillipines. They are in Quezon City. The original work done by the founder of the Order in the mid-1800's was working for the blind.

Their Web site has a picture of the Sisters and they are all in white, including their veils. From the picture, it doesn't appear they have air conditioning, since there is a large fan in the corner of the room. Although only a few Sisters are shown in the picture, I'm pretty sure there are more. It seems that the Phillipine Sisters have a small, but steady number of new vocations each year. I think most of the Sisters in the Phillipines are from the Phillipines, so they are probably used to the weather, although I'm sure they get hot like anyone else.

The Order wears a modified habit, but from everything I can tell (and from others on Phatmass who have looked at the Order's Web site), they are fully orthodox in their beliefs and practices.

I live in the U.S. near one of the convents for retired Sisters, and I worry about the elderly Sisters in hot weather. But, their convent does have air conditioning, at least in the portions that function as a hospital. Loss of electricity can be a problem when it gets very hot, but the town I live in has made special arrangements so that, even if the rest of the town loses electricity, the town provides electricity from another source to the Sisters, so they always have electricity.

Here is the Web site for the branch of the Order in the Phillipines. [url="http://www.sccphil.com/index.htm"]http://www.sccphil.com/index.htm[/url]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Sister Marie' date='07 July 2010 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1278522702' post='2138926']
My community wears a habit and a similar postulant outfit to what others have described here. The men's undershirts are really important. I know that seems strange, haha, it seemed that way to me when I entered but it really makes sense. First, an undershirt because as much as women like to think they don't sweat - they do! The undershirt protects the white blouse from the unfortunate effects of such sweat. I think the reason why most wear men's undershirts is because they are relatively inexpensive when you buy them in the packs from walmart or k-mart.

My community wears a modified habit which includes a lighter summer habit. It is a light color so I still wear my undershirt but we aren't required to because we wear slips as well. Without the undershirt though the habit needs to be washed more frequently in the summer and you can't "protect" it as well without the undershirt.

It is true that you get more used to the heat after the first summer, but I live in PA and right now this heat wave has definitely been... memorable. I have abandoned my undershirt until the temperatures go down to the nineties, haha. I'll just do more laundry for these days.

Last night when I went into our kitchenette to get a glass of water on my way to the community room there was a message on the white-board that said, "Your mission: Find a cool room and sleep there." We don't have air conditioning in our bedrooms but some of the common areas do have AC. The temperature didn't go down last night and so the sisters scattered to anywhere they could find some relief from the heat, especially the older sisters. So, as hot as it gets, we always make it work! I thought it was a little funny. Anyway, keep cool and hydrated everyone, habits or not!

Prayers,
Sister Marie
[/quote]

Thank-you for the explanation that many Orders wear a men's undershirt under their habits. I know that most Orders generally only change their habit every week or two (or maybe longer for some), and I always wondered how the habit remained "fresh" in the hot weather. The wearing of an undershirt explains it--and a men's undershirt really makes sense, because they are inexpensive, and "style" isn't a consideration, particularly since it is worn under the habit.

I hope this weather breaks soon. Here in the Midwest it hasn't been quite as warm as in the East (at least where I live), but it's still been too warm for me!

osapientia

[quote name='ksterling' date='07 July 2010 - 12:23 PM' timestamp='1278516191' post='2138899']
Since I have really started looking at the websites of communities I am interested in - and they all wear a habit - I now have a lot of questions on this issue. I mentioned in my first post that I am looking for a community that treats its members like adults - I don't mean in the sense that you can do what you want. I am well aware that I would take a vow of obedience. But here's an example. Several communties, e.g. Nashville, Sisters of Mary, seem to require postulants to wear men's undershirts. Why is that necessary? Why should a woman have to wear a man's t-shirt? What's wrong with a regular slip? These communities all have a postulant uniform that includes a vest or jumper - no modesty issue that I can see. The undershirts just seem weird to me.
[/quote]
I believe that a main issue may be cost and the ease of obtaining items in bulk as someone else mentioned. Slips would be more likely to be "individualized" and I've never seen them available in packages of multiple items. Some communities allow the sisters to just wear any T-Shirt at all, including colored ones because no one sees it...but in larger communities such as the ND's and DSMME's I'm sure doing laundry is a real chore and having to separate colors from whites or having to keep track of extra individual needs would just add to an already arduous task. I think you'll find that "odd" customs like this usually have a very practical explanation, especially in big communities what seems like a small issue can become a large/difficult thing to manage. I find that women religious are nothing if not practical (and resourceful)....and I mean that with great love and respect.

Pax,
Osap

teresitacarmel

Well, it's getting really hot where I live (I won't reveal the location cuz of privacy issues, sorry), and I made a visit to the community I'm discerning with last week. I asked the nuns about how they feel wearing the Carmelite habit in the sweltering heat, and they're like, we're used to it, and I was like, oh ok.....The monastery does not have air conditioning....well, they have it for the kitchen and for the elderly nuns, and that's it. This has really got me thinking and I feel really concerned, cuz like if I actually enter, I'll probably fail to persevere because of some stupid problem like air conditioning! *sigh* Even as I'm typing this, I'm sweating :P I've not been using my air conditioner, just to see how much I can take, and it's not very pleasant, especially when I sleep....I actually wake up with sweat on my face, ugh...and I'm not even wearing anything remotely close to a habit.

I really wanna know: realistically, does one truly get used to wearing a habit in extremely hot and humid weather?

It is exactly what you would imagine. Very hot, very uncomfortable! When I first entered the community I am in the process of leaving (for a cloistered order), we wore full habits. Of course, at that time, we considered it a penance to wear clothing that was uncomfortable! In fact, I quite clearly remember my novice mistress telling us it was a good penance for all those who who did not dress modestly. I have to say, it did help me get through the terrible humidity, knowing I was doing reparation for those who didn't care!

[quote name='ksterling' date='07 July 2010 - 11:23 AM' timestamp='1278516191' post='2138899']
Since I have really started looking at the websites of communities I am interested in - and they all wear a habit - I now have a lot of questions on this issue. I mentioned in my first post that I am looking for a community that treats its members like adults - I don't mean in the sense that you can do what you want. I am well aware that I would take a vow of obedience. But here's an example. Several communties, e.g. Nashville, Sisters of Mary, seem to require postulants to wear men's undershirts. Why is that necessary? Why should a woman have to wear a man's t-shirt? What's wrong with a regular slip? These communities all have a postulant uniform that includes a vest or jumper - no modesty issue that I can see. The undershirts just seem weird to me.
[/quote]

We wore undershirts (aka T-shirts) but they were women's. :idontknow: They [i]do[/i] have women's T-shirts! :lol: But honestly, there isn't much difference at all between a men's T-shirt and a women's, so it really doesn't make any practical difference. Perhaps the men's T-shirts are less expensive, and hence the reason why some communities prefer them.

Are you referring to a slip vs. a petticoat? The biggest reason why the Sisters wore a petticoat is because of the pockets. The habits themselves don't have pockets, but simply holes in them, where you can reach in to your pockets in your petticoat. It's really not so bad, I promise! :thumbsup:

Edited by CherieMadame

Mary Veronica

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='07 July 2010 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1278553222' post='2139136']
We wore undershirts (aka T-shirts) but they were women's. :idontknow: They [i]do[/i] have women's T-shirts! :lol: But honestly, there isn't much difference at all between a men's T-shirt and a women's, so it really doesn't make any practical difference. Perhaps the men's T-shirts are less expensive, and hence the reason why some communities prefer them.
[/quote]

They also wear things called tunics. it's a thin but loose [i]over[/i]-garment that covers the wrists and passes the knees. it goes above your undergarments. then comes the habit. what is that three layers? unless your Carmelite and you wear the cape. that makes four.

Edited by Mary Veronica

laetitia crucis

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='07 July 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1278553222' post='2139136']

Are you referring to a slip vs. a petticoat? [b]The biggest reason why the Sisters wore a petticoat is because of the pockets. [/b]The habits themselves don't have pockets, but simply holes in them, where you can reach in to your pockets in your petticoat. It's really not so bad, I promise! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

:o

I had no idea petticoats had pockets. That is a very exciting thing indeed! :woot:

Sooo... do pettipants have pockets, too?

Our habits had nice big pockets. I think that's one of the things I miss the most. However, when one pocket got a hole in it or ripped open, that was something tragic, I tell you. :lol: Hmmm... so, do Dominican habits of pockets, or do they have holes to reach into one's petticoat? :think: (That's something I didn't think to ask! Haha!)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Mary Veronica' date='07 July 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1278553610' post='2139140']
They also wear things called tunics. it's a thin but loose [i]over[/i]-garment that covers the wrists and passes the knees. it goes above your undergarments. then comes the habit. what is that three layers? unless your Carmelite and you wear the cape. that makes four.
[/quote]

In my former community, our habits consisted of one big ankle-length tunic, belt, and full length scapular.

If we had to wear a tunic and then another "habit" that went over it (plus the scapular) -- wheeew! -- that would have been rough. :sweat:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='07 July 2010 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1278555863' post='2139154']
:lol: Hmmm... so, do Dominican habits of pockets, or do they have holes to reach into one's petticoat? :think: (That's something I didn't think to ask! Haha!)
[/quote]

Our habit was "modeled" in a sense after the Nashville Dominican's habit (since our founder was a former Nashville Dominican) so ... not sure if your Dominicans have the same habit, but if they do, then yes, there is a hole in the habit to reach the petticoat pockets. :) It's actually more secure that way ... you'd DEFINITELY notice a pickpocket trying to reach into your petticoat pocket! :lol: I guess each community is different in that regard, though. Some of our work habits, interestingly enough, didn't have holes, but had actual pockets instead. But the "real" habits just had holes -- but the neat thing is, they[i] looked[/i] like pockets! :detective:

We had four layers -- (five if you count the "women's undergarment"? Which we wore, by the way ... many people wondered whether or not Sisters got to wear them, but yes, we definitely did!) -- so T-shirt, tunic, then scapular, then cape. :) Yes, very hot in the summer, that's for sure! (But awfully nice in the winter, although I'm cold-natured so I usually wore a brown wool sweater over the habit in winter, also)

[quote name='Mary Veronica' date='07 July 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1278553610' post='2139140']
[/quote]

Our Sisters used to wear something like that - the actual habit, minus the cape and scapular, is what was referred to as the "tunic" however. What you refer to as a "tunic", in our community, was called something else and I can't even remember the term now! :think:

They switched to T-shirts and petticoats at some point, for a particular reason -- but guess what! I can't remember that now either! :lol: (I can't remember anything anymore! It's the pregnancy hormones...at least I hope! :sweat: )

[size="1"]Edit: Clarity, it's tired and I'm late! ;)[/size]

Edited by CherieMadame

tnavarro61

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='08 July 2010 - 03:09 AM' timestamp='1278526155' post='2138964']
The Order of Sisters who live across the street from me, the Sisters of Christian Charity (not the same as the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity) have a mission for the blind in the Phillipines. They are in Quezon City. The original work done by the founder of the Order in the mid-1800's was working for the blind.

Their Web site has a picture of the Sisters and they are all in white, including their veils. From the picture, it doesn't appear they have air conditioning, since there is a large fan in the corner of the room. Although only a few Sisters are shown in the picture, I'm pretty sure there are more. It seems that the Phillipine Sisters have a small, but steady number of new vocations each year. I think most of the Sisters in the Phillipines are from the Phillipines, so they are probably used to the weather, although I'm sure they get hot like anyone else.

The Order wears a modified habit, but from everything I can tell (and from others on Phatmass who have looked at the Order's Web site), they are fully orthodox in their beliefs and practices.

I live in the U.S. near one of the convents for retired Sisters, and I worry about the elderly Sisters in hot weather. But, their convent does have air conditioning, at least in the portions that function as a hospital. Loss of electricity can be a problem when it gets very hot, but the town I live in has made special arrangements so that, even if the rest of the town loses electricity, the town provides electricity from another source to the Sisters, so they always have electricity.

Here is the Web site for the branch of the Order in the Phillipines. [url="http://www.sccphil.com/index.htm"]http://www.sccphil.com/index.htm[/url]
[/quote]

thank you for sharing this website! are you from the Philippines, or have been in our country?

and hey! i remember a sister with similar habit, and maybe she belongs to that order. She used to visit us us when we were in nursery, and everybody hugged that nun (including me). How I miss that nun, probably she's already dead now (it was 14 yrs ago and she's quite old the last time I saw her.)

tnavarro61

[quote name='CatherineM' date='08 July 2010 - 03:06 AM' timestamp='1278525964' post='2138960']
You know, I've never asked. They work at Catholic Social Services with immigrant women. CSS is a block away from church, so they make daily mass every day.
[/quote]

with the power of internet search, we'll know their order!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='tnavarro61' date='08 July 2010 - 08:43 AM' timestamp='1278596608' post='2139294']
thank you for sharing this website! are you from the Philippines, or have been in our country?

and hey! i remember a sister with similar habit, and maybe she belongs to that order. She used to visit us us when we were in nursery, and everybody hugged that nun (including me). How I miss that nun, probably she's already dead now (it was 14 yrs ago and she's quite old the last time I saw her.)
[/quote]

No, I am not from the Philippines and unfortunately, have never been lucky enough to visit your country.

From looking at various Web sites, it appears that the Philippines has a number of devout women who have chosen the religious life. I don't know whether this is the case, but appears as if women's religious Orders in the Philippines have more new vocations than many other countries.

It's possible that your wonderful nun may still be alive--I hope so! I know that when I was younger, I considered some people to be "old" when they weren't elderly at all. If the nun was indeed from the Sisters of Christian Charity, members of that Order seem to live very long lives. Because the convent near me is a retirement home, there have been deaths of Sisters, and many of them lived into well into their 90's, and a few over 100. Obviously, they live not only a blessed and holy life, but a healthy lifestyle, as well! And, I know they get very good medical care.