An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Think You Will Love About Religious Life

Hilde

I made the other thread, but I felt like we needed a thread like this to balance it out. [img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/img] So anything you're looking forward too?

[quote name='Tridenteen' timestamp='1282152568' post='2159581']
JMJ
The ability to say "Praised Be Jesus Christ" when answering the phone and not have people say.."um.what?"
[/quote]

Haha! That reminds me, when I was in the convent we were taught to always say, "Blessed be God!" when someone gave a compliment. It was so funny, because oftentimes it caught people off-guard because they were just expecting a simple "thank you" :lol: But it really was great witness, and taught us that God is the giver of all that is good -- so if there was something we did that deserved a compliment, all the honor and glory went back to Him. :) I love it! :)

TeresaBenedicta

Right now my life is something similar to what I can imagine a consecrated virgin's life would be like (without being [i]actually[/i] consecrated). I keep a prayer schedule that is about the same as what most apostolic communities keep (holy hour, Office/Morning/Evening/Night prayer, daily Mass), and my "work" is very much considered to me less "work" than it is an apostolate.

To the outside world it would seem pointless to actually become a consecrated virgin or enter a community. Is my life not already structured like that?

But I think there's a difference between [i]doing[/i] and [i]being[/i]. What I think I will love MOST about religious life is [i]being[/i] consecrated to Jesus, [i]being[/i] His spouse. Maybe as a professed sister my life will look somewhat similar to what it looks like right now... But [i]I[/i] will be different.

Then of course there's the community aspect. There's lots to look forward to in that (and I'm sure some that's not so high on the list of what I'm looking forward to).

I'm actually looking forward to being separated somewhat from technology. :shock: I know, I know, scary! But, honestly, I think I'll be happier without facebook. Not sure about phatmass, of course. :saint: I'll definitely be glad to be rid of my cell phone. Makes life simpler. Easier to focus only on Jesus.

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1282153422' post='2159590']
Haha! That reminds me, when I was in the convent we were taught to always say, "Blessed be God!" when someone gave a compliment. It was so funny, because oftentimes it caught people off-guard because they were just expecting a simple "thank you" :lol: But it really was great witness, and taught us that God is the giver of all that is good -- so if there was something we did that deserved a compliment, all the honor and glory went back to Him. :) I love it! :)
[/quote]

JMJ
We always answer "Now and forever" when a priest says PBJC! to us....it catches them off guard, as it seems people usually just look at them, shrug, and keep talking.

laetitia crucis

[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/img]
[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1282153422' post='2159590']
[/quote]

:lol: I say, "Blessed be God!" ALL. THE. TIME. :sweat: I have [b]no [/b]idea where I picked it up. Maybe it's my version of the Southern phrase, "Glory Be!" Hahah! It certainly wasn't a common phrase said in the convent.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1282153578' post='2159592']
Right now my life is something similar to what I can imagine a consecrated virgin's life would be like (without being [i]actually[/i] consecrated). I keep a prayer schedule that is about the same as what most apostolic communities keep (holy hour, Office/Morning/Evening/Night prayer, daily Mass), and my "work" is very much considered to me less "work" than it is an apostolate.

To the outside world it would seem pointless to actually become a consecrated virgin or enter a community. Is my life not already structured like that?

But I think there's a difference between [i]doing[/i] and [i]being[/i]. What I think I will love MOST about religious life is [i]being[/i] consecrated to Jesus, [i]being[/i] His spouse. Maybe as a professed sister my life will look somewhat similar to what it looks like right now... But [i]I[/i] will be different.

Then of course there's the community aspect. There's lots to look forward to in that (and I'm sure some that's not so high on the list of what I'm looking forward to).

I'm actually looking forward to being separated somewhat from technology. :shock: I know, I know, scary! But, honestly, I think I'll be happier without facebook. Not sure about phatmass, of course. :saint: I'll definitely be glad to be rid of my cell phone. [b]Makes life simpler. Easier to focus only on Jesus.[/b]
[/quote]

So, so true, TB! Although, I do admit -- the "technological" thing I missed the most was Phatmass. Really.

I was relieved not to have a cell phone and the "need" to check back on facebook to see what all my friends were doing. :lol: Same even goes for e-mail.

But Phatmass... .that's the hardest for me. :weep: (Imagine the black emo tears...)

-------------

Something that I absolutely love about religious life: chanting the Divine Office. Since God asked me to sacrifice the orchestra, He gave me chanting the LOTH instead. :love: Even though I'm not a very good singer, really.. chanting the hours is what I look forward to the most. It brings me much joy.

Edited by laetitia crucis

In The Arms of The Lord

I would have to say the Consecration to Him, and the sacrifices. The silence and solitude I long for also.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1282154264' post='2159599']
[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/img]

:lol: I say, "Blessed be God!" ALL. THE. TIME. :sweat: I have [b]no [/b]idea where I picked it up. Maybe it's my version of the Southern phrase, "Glory Be!" Hahah! It certainly wasn't a common phrase said in the convent.

So, so true, TB! Although, I do admit -- the "technological" thing I missed the most was Phatmass. Really.

I was relieved not to have a cell phone and the "need" to check back on facebook to see what all my friends were doing. :lol: Same even goes for e-mail.

But Phatmass... .that's the hardest for me. :weep: (Imagine the black emo tears...)

-------------

Something that I absolutely love about religious life: chanting the Divine Office. Since God asked me to sacrifice the orchestra, He gave me chanting the LOTH instead. :love: Even though I'm not a very good singer, really.. chanting the hours is what I look forward to the most. It brings me much joy.
[/quote]

I think I'm going to miss phatmass the most too. (Not to mention all of us who are going to be left missing y'all who are leaving us to enter!)

Mmm. Yes, I concur about chanting the Office. Or at least even saying it together in community. (Random: I went into adoration on Monday morning and when I pulled out my breviary to pray the Office of Readings, the other lady asked if I was going to pray Morning Prayer and if I'd like to pray it together. Even though I was planning on the Office of Readings, I said sure and we prayed it together :) It was nice.)

OH!

And, perhaps this is just silly and immature, [i]but[/i]... WEARING THE HABIT. This too is something I really long for.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1282154509' post='2159604']
I think I'm going to miss phatmass the most too. (Not to mention all of us who are going to be left missing y'all who are leaving us to enter!)

Mmm. Yes, I concur about chanting the Office. Or at least even saying it together in community. (Random: I went into adoration on Monday morning and when I pulled out my breviary to pray the Office of Readings, the other lady asked if I was going to pray Morning Prayer and if I'd like to pray it together. Even though I was planning on the Office of Readings, I said sure and we prayed it together :) It was nice.)

OH!

[b]And, perhaps this is just silly and immature, [/b][i][b]but[/b][/i][b]... WEARING THE HABIT. This too is something I really long for.
[/b][/quote]

If this is silly and immature -- I am GUILTY AS CHARGED. :sweat:

But in all honesty.. that's something that I found so profoundly beautiful and just... truly awe-filled. A constant reminder of being totally consecrated to Him. Of being His bride. Of being...something above and beyond my natural self, if that makes sense. It gave me something [i]tangible [/i]to express what my entire [i]being[/i], you know?

Having to take off my habit the first time around.. that was probably one of the saddest days of my life. I felt so... naked and alone.... :sadwalk:

----

Also -- I agree about being able to pray in community, even with one other person! That helps me SO much. Although, I definitely need the chanting, otherwise, I feel like somehow some "herd mentality" switch turns on. Things just keep getting faster and faster... I have difficulty concentrating on truly praying rather that just "saying", if that makes sense. However, I think this is probably a personal prayer "style".. for all I know, this could be the perfect way for others to pray. :)

---

Edit: :NUN: :lol:

Edited by laetitia crucis

Sister Andrew

I know I'm totally off topic but how are y'all getting that little nun smiley??!!!??
now back to the topic... :thumbsup:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Andrew' timestamp='1282156178' post='2159619']
I know I'm totally off topic but how are y'all getting that little nun smiley??!!!??
now back to the topic... :thumbsup:
[/quote]

We're importing it from my photobucket account. :lol:

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG]

Feel free to use it, too!!

:woot:

OnlySunshine

I'm merely answering from a "what if?" standpoint since my discernment has come to an end, but when I was discerning, the thing that I looked forward the most to was actually living close to Jesus in the Tabernacle. I was hoping to enter a community that had Perpetual Adoration so I could be with Him during the night. When I went on the "Come and See" retreat with the CFR Sisters, I made an extra point to reverence Jesus whenever passing Him going up or down the stairs, or doing chores. I loved that so much. :love:

I'm sad that I can't discern anymore, but I know that Jesus will lead me to the way He wants me to go. :)

Ok this is lame but Id like not having to go to the hairdresser and make small talk about celebrities and/or tv shows for an hour! That would definitely be a nice perk!
[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1282160336' post='2159669']
I'm merely answering from a "what if?" standpoint since my discernment has come to an end, but when I was discerning, the thing that I looked forward the most to was actually living close to Jesus in the Tabernacle. I was hoping to enter a community that had Perpetual Adoration so I could be with Him during the night. When I went on the "Come and See" retreat with the CFR Sisters, I made an extra point to reverence Jesus whenever passing Him going up or down the stairs, or doing chores. I loved that so much. :love:

I'm sad that I can't discern anymore, but I know that Jesus will lead me to the way He wants me to go. :)
[/quote]

Do you want to buy my house? For various reasons, I will have to move in the next year or so, but Jesus lives right across the street from me. And, the Blessed Pauline's special apostolate was to those with health issues.

I'm kidding, but I seriously understand your disappointment. Perhaps some day you will find a way to work at, or volunteer with, or live near a religious community with perpetual adoration, so that even if you didn't live in the same building, you could visit Jesus often.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

LadyOfSorrows

Having my life just being one big prayer... :[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/img]