An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Think You Will Love About Religious Life

Hilde

I think I will love knowing that I'm following God's will in all things, even the little things. Because if I am obedient to my superiors, I can know that it's His will. No guessing about "is this what I should be doing at this moment?" Just obedience and a total abandonment of spirit. Granted, that also might be one of the most challenging aspects of religious life!

Chanting the Divine Office
Spending [i]hours[/i] a day with my beloved.
Community life; maybe I'll become a sports enthusiast after all- or at least gain some coordination!

Being a spiritual mother. This is something I've spent a lot of time in prayer about lately. As SJAB says in her southern accent, "that is something real!". Even in my life, I've known children that were so hungry for love, for parents that cared about them. If they can see a mother in me, hopefully it can ease their pain, just a little.

I'm also looking forward to wearing the habit :blush:

TeresaBenedicta

So I've been "in" the convent for about... a month now. Here are a few things that I love so far:

- All of the different personalities! At first it was just three different sisters- and very [i]different[/i] from one another- but now it's 17 different sisters... and each one has their own personality! And some are quite different from one another. It's fun to pick up different mannerisms and peculiarities from each. And every so often we do "divages" (skits), which generally have sisters playing as other members of the community. So it's super fun to watch interpretations of how others think you or a particular sister act.

- The rhythm of prayer. Even though the day's schedule is not always the same (in general it is- but stuff comes up! Like a women's basketball game with the cardinal!), there is always a flow or rhythm of prayer. The whole day is consecrated to God. I mean, it can definitely be difficult at times. Prayer isn't always relaxing. Sometimes it feels like a workout. And after a full day of work and other such things, it can be exhausting. But in a good way- offered back to God as a spiritual sacrifice.

- Siesta! Okay- not [i]just[/i] because it's nap time. I mean, in of itself, that's great. But it has a 'higher purpose', if you will. Taking siesta really gives you the strength and energy to complete the day's work with enthusiasm. It honestly feels as though one lives through two days in the span of one day. And THAT much work gets done, too.

...but these are minor things. Or perhaps I should say 'secondary'. Even though I'm "in" the convent, I'm not a religious yet. And there's a difference.

- Anonymity. I posted about this earlier. And I've felt the desire for this anonymity increase. Well, I mean, I DO stick out like a sore thumb. And in community life, a lot of undue attention is spent on me. I don't mean the loss of individuality... God's unique creation is a beautiful thing. But the anonymity of being a soul consecrated to Christ, representing something bigger than ones own self. As Pope Benedict recently commented, a 'living exegesis of God's Word'. A unique expression of God 're-Incarnation' of Christ in a soul. But that others see CHRIST and not the individual. A unique expression of Christ? Yes. But, as today's martyr said, "Christ must increase and I must decrease."

- A life that is a perpetual spiritual sacrifice, united totally with the One sacrifice; totally united with the One. The vows which bind one to the Cross in that perpetual sacrifice. While I may currently be living the [i]spirit[/i] of those vows- I do so freely. And could, freely, forgo them. I have not yet publicly given myself to God, through the hands of my superiors and the Church. I have not been bound, irrevocably, to my Beloved.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1282160336' post='2159669']
I'm merely answering from a "what if?" standpoint since my discernment has come to an end, but when I was discerning, the thing that I looked forward the most to was actually living close to Jesus in the Tabernacle. I was hoping to enter a community that had Perpetual Adoration so I could be with Him during the night. When I went on the "Come and See" retreat with the CFR Sisters, I made an extra point to reverence Jesus whenever passing Him going up or down the stairs, or doing chores. I loved that so much. :love:

I'm sad that I can't discern anymore, but I know that Jesus will lead me to the way He wants me to go. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I answered this last year when I thought I wasn't going to discern anymore (I was really going through a rough time after losing my job). But I am slowly discerning again and I really am looking forward to being so close to my Beloved in the Eucharist. I hope that if I do enter a religious community (God-willing), they will have at least daily Adoration.

I am also looking forward to the structuring of the schedule of prayer each day. I also love community time. When I was with the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in January 2010 on retreat, their meal time was also their recreation and it was just a joyful family atmosphere. I truly love that community but I know God is not calling me there. :)

LaPetiteSoeur

COMMUNITY
especially community prayers. I can hardly wait to chant the office!

Adoration--I love, love, love, adoration.

So much.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1314637457' post='2296929'] I also love community time. When I was with the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in January 2010 on retreat, their meal time was also their recreation and it was just a joyful family atmosphere.
[/quote]

The SSVMs have a wonderful, joyful, family atmosphere as well. It's so beautiful. :love:

Random story:

Last night at dinner, we must've been getting pretty loud, because Mother yelled out above everyone's voices, saying, "Dead Fish!" And everyone completely fell silent, and many of the sisters fell limp, making a face much like a dead fish. I was so bewildered! And Mother was laughing at me, as I clearly was not accustomed to this little tradition. I had such a hard time keeping a straight face. Finally she said, "Okay. Maybe a little quieter now, yes?" and it was explained to me that that was her little way of calling folks to 'attention'. Kind of like the 'quiet game'.

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1282160336' post='2159669']
I was hoping to enter a community that had Perpetual Adoration so I could be with Him during the night. When I went on the "Come and See" retreat with the CFR Sisters, I made an extra point to reverence Jesus whenever passing Him going up or down the stairs, or doing chores. I loved that so much. :love:[/quote]

Have you ever thought about discerning with the SSFPA? They are so amesome, have perpetual adoration, and there's an expectation for you to reverence Jesus whenever passing Him. I love that too :love: I know we've had a number of threads on here about them; I just don't know if you've ever really considered them.

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1314650777' post='2297032']
Have you ever thought about discerning with the SSFPA? They are so amesome, have perpetual adoration, and there's an expectation for you to reverence Jesus whenever passing Him. I love that too :love: I know we've had a number of threads on here about them; I just don't know if you've ever really considered them.
[/quote]

Ooh, this is a good point, PeB. Mater- they also have some healthcare ministries, so it might be worth asking about health concerns.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1314650777' post='2297032']
[/quote]

I've thought about them in passing, but never seriously. I started looking at them casually again a few months ago and I really do think they sound attractive apart from their education apostolate. I love kids and all, but I'm not sure I'd make a good teacher without some serious training. I have considered getting in touch with Sr. Lois, their VD, by email to ask for more information. I just sent an email to the Religious Sisters of Mercy which I have been procrastinating about. Do you know if they have social work as part of their apostolate? I know they have it as part of their hospital services and it is something I am really interested in. I am planning to major in Social Work when I transfer to the university next semester.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1314650937' post='2297033']

Ooh, this is a good point, PeB. Mater- they also have some healthcare ministries, so it might be worth asking about health concerns.
[/quote]

Good point! Thanks! :)

MargaretTeresa

Morning and evening prayer.
'family time' - watching movies (Nawlins has a great collection!), cooking, etc.
getting to know everyone
going to Mass together
Living for Christ alone

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1314652549' post='2297039']

I've thought about them in passing, but never seriously. I started looking at them casually again a few months ago and I really do think they sound attractive apart from their education apostolate. I love kids and all, but I'm not sure I'd make a good teacher without some serious training. I have considered getting in touch with Sr. Lois, their VD, by email to ask for more information. I just sent an email to the Religious Sisters of Mercy which I have been procrastinating about. Do you know if they have social work as part of their apostolate? I know they have it as part of their hospital services and it is something I am really interested in. I am planning to major in Social Work when I transfer to the university next semester.

Good point! Thanks! :)
[/quote]
I'm not quite sure what you're looking for when you say social work, but their apostolates are education, health care, and other ecclesial ministries.
[quote][size="4"][font="Garamond"]Following in the footsteps of St. Francis and Mother Theresia, we also serve the Church in other ecclesial ministries. In loyalty to the Church and openness to its ongoing needs we: [/font][/size][list]
[*][font="Garamond"][size="4"]Serve the Diocesan Church in its call from Christ to evangelize by participating in ministries under the direction of the Chief Shepherds of the dioceses in which we reside. We do this by assisting with televised Masses to the homebound, ministry to the handicapped and disabled, consultative ministry to parishes, building and renovating worship space, and assisting those having Perpetual Adoration. [/size][/font]
[*][font="Garamond"][size="4"]Participate in ministries to the homebound, the elderly, and those imprisoned in response to the Gospel's call to practice the spiritual and corporal works of mercy. [/size][/font]
[*][font="Garamond"][size="4"]Volunteer time and talent at shelters that care for the poor and homeless in imitation of the preferential option for the poor as practiced by St. Francis and Mother Theresia.[/size][/font]
[/list]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]Sr M Marita works in downtown South Bend teaching adults how to read and write and helping others earn a General Education Diploma.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

TheresaThoma

For me it would have to be praying in community, especially the Rosary and LotH. I currently pray them on my own but there is just something so special about chanting LotH in community.
I'll probably think of more later to add

InPersonaChriste

Just Being.

Their is no better way to say this than to be. If I become a religious, I will have fulfilled the vocation that God has chosen for me.

MargaretTeresa

That joy that consumed me when I was with the sisters. The feeling that this is where I was made to be by my Father.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1314653459' post='2297048']
I'm not quite sure what you're looking for when you say social work, but their apostolates are education, health care, and other ecclesial ministries.
[/quote]

Social work is a part of the health care support. Most hospitals have them to plan discharges and make sure the patients are well taken care of -- spiritually, emotionally, and physically. :)

I used the information request form on the SSFPA website and asked Sr. Lois what their age limit was since I am not sure if I am called yet, but I don't want to miss the cut-off. I am rather interested in the Franciscan charism. It seems a lot of Phatmassers have entered there, including alrichey5031 and jtheresa.