Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do You Come To Phatmass?


Recommended Posts

little_miss_late
Posted

I lurked here for some time before joining. I'm going to be honest here. I joined because I was terrified of you all. And that fear was just me projecting part of a bigger fear, about joining the Church. Some of you guys might remember that a few of my very first posts were about why anyone would go to Mass to pray, all exposed and out in public, when they could just pray alone in their rooms.

Anyway. I figured that the only way out is through so I joined. (Phatmass... not the Church... I put a little more thought into joining the Church)

As a non Catholic I lurked at a few Catholic forums and as I got more serious in my "seeking" I had to stay away from most of them because I did feel like I was seeing the worst of the faith in some ways. As an RCIA candidate I had to stop coming here for a couple months. It was tiring and I was starting to feel worn down by some of what I was reading.

I do think I have a wider perspective of American Catholic experience. I live in an area where there is a strong Catholic cultural presence and a lot of religious diversity. In general people are respectful. I had never heard of another Christian trying to "convert" a Catholic before, except for Jehovah's Witnesses. There were 4 Catholic churches, at least, in my hometown. So it is very strange for me to read about Catholics having to sort of fight for territory and identity.

I am back here, to stay I hope, because for the most part the discussions are interesting and sensible, and because I don't have much of a sympathetic Catholic community in real life. Specifically, I don't know many faithful Catholic wives and mothers in real life. Most of the women in my parish are in a different stage in their lives, and most of the "culturally Catholic" women I know are not about to talk to me about NFP or bringing the kids to Mass or any of the rest of it. Also because I like to pray for people in the Prayer Room.

Archaeology cat
Posted

Well, I first came here back in 2004 when I was converting. My cousin (marielapin) mentioned it to me. And, um, I seem to remember being fairly belligerent still. :blush: I knew I was to be Catholic, but I was still dealing with my Protestant family, and the fact that there's only one true Church and all that. And while I knew that in my heart, I was still wrestling with it a lot, so I ended up taking a break from PM. I came back after we moved to England, because I'd been studying more about the Church (I was Catholic by that point), and I remembered about PM and thought I'd check it out again. I hadn't known that my old SN would still be active, and I didn't use that email any more, thus the different SN. I like this one better anyway. ;) Now I just refuse to leave. ;)

But seriously, I love this place. I know that if I ask for prayers, I have people praying for me, all over the world. If I need a question answered, someone on here will know the answer. If I need some moral support, you guys are here. I feel like I know so many of you, though I've only met one person off of PM (whom I didn't already know).

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1284485775' post='2173107']
It can get lonely in a world surrounded by people who hate me for my beliefs. I come here to remember that I'm not alone.
[/quote]
Amen. I have very few Catholic friends my age, and not in my area.

Posted

Thank you for your post. It's awesome.

To answer your question, I come here to rule. I am a ruler. It's what I do. Rule.

K bye!

Posted

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1284556070' post='2173418']
Thank you for your post. It's awesome.

To answer your question, I come here to rule. I am a ruler. It's what I do. Rule.

K bye!
[/quote]


No, really, c'mon, admit it - you come here for the tacos, so very tasty and good for you,. :taco2:

Posted (edited)

When I first came to phatmass, it was because I liked to talk about theological topics and I needed another way to procrastinate from doing school work! :lol:

After I left school, I wasn't here for a while, but then I came back when I didn't really have any Catholic friends near me. I work in environmental education, so most of the people I know are :hippie: . :saint: It's been really great having a place where I'm not though of as odd for going to church every Sunday, much less more often than that! Also, since I have moved pretty much every year since I joined, phatmass has been one of the few constants in my adult life. It's nice to know that I can have these same friends regardless of where I'm living!

Then when I started discerning a religious vocation, I became more active in the Vocation Station, which has been so amazing! :dance: :nunpray:

Now that I'm beginning a new chapter in my life (moving into the convent on Friday!!) I'm not sure where phatmass will fit in, but I do know that I will definitely be keeping all of my phamily in my prayers. :pray: :)

*edited to fix smilies :wacko:

Edited by morostheos
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1284505951' post='2173214']
Because snarkiness is a drug far more addictive than heroin or crack.
[/quote]
speaking truth to power. :|

Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1284505074' post='2173208']
yes.

and coagulated milk.
[/quote]

Awesome.

I followed Missy and another friend personally, then converted two years to the day after I joined PM.

Posted (edited)

I first came here when phatmass was still pretty new. What I liked about it, and still like is that it had a very modern and edgy flavor but at the same time it didn't water things down. There was an age group and style about the site that really appealed to me -- people that have an off-beat sense of humor and enjoyed Catholic music and art that was relevant but wanted to see the Church renewed with authentic traditionalism and fidelity. This place does not take the place of my local parish, however because of lasting friendships and certain advantages of discussing things in a forum setting, I still enjoy coming here. I've lurked other Catholic forums from time to time but they never had the same staying power. I probably relate most to people here and still prefer the phatmass phlavor.

Edited by Ash Wednesday
Posted

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1284583008' post='2173544']
I first came here when phatmass was still pretty new. What I liked about it, and still like is that it had a very modern and edgy flavor but at the same time it didn't water things down. There was an age group and style about the site that really appealed to me -- people that have an off-beat sense of humor and enjoyed Catholic music and art that was relevant but wanted to see the Church renewed with authentic traditionalism and fidelity. This place does not take the place of my local parish, however because of lasting friendships and certain advantages of discussing things in a forum setting, I still enjoy coming here. I've lurked other Catholic forums from time to time but they never had the same staying power. I probably relate most to people here and still prefer the phatmass phlavor.
[/quote]

+1

Roamin Catholic
Posted

I came for a wife

Posted

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1284587436' post='2173576']
I came for a wife
[/quote]
AND GOT ONE!!!! :lol:

Mark of the Cross
Posted

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1284556070' post='2173418']
Thank you for your post. It's awesome.

To answer your question, I come here to rule. I am a ruler. It's what I do. Rule.

K bye!
[/quote]

Tell the truth. You come here for my jokes!

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1284587436' post='2173576']
I came for a wife
[/quote]

I came here to have a break from the wife.

[img]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/7/24/00d0748b-d81c-41b9-92e6-10f0409e43f4.jpg[/img]

Mark of the Cross
Posted

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1284507341' post='2173229']
You guys keep using the grouphug but it doesn't work, haha. It was too wide. I'll have to find a narrower one.
[/quote]

Is that why I can't speak my mind?

Posted (edited)

truth be told, I really come to phatmass to slap people with fish.

Edited by Azriel
Posted (edited)

Originally I came for the raps. Now I come mostly for the laughs (and to check in). Now and then I'll post in a serious thread if it catches my attention.

Edited by Era Might
Posted

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1284587436' post='2173576']
I came for a wife
[/quote]
:love:

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1284588227' post='2173587']
AND GOT ONE!!!! :lol:
[/quote]
I am so lucky he showed up on here! Crazy to think that was more than 3 years ago! :blink:

[quote name='Azriel' timestamp='1284592642' post='2173605']
truth be told, I really come to phatmass to slap people with fish.
[/quote]
Wait...does :fishslap: not work anymore? SAD! :cry:

Posted

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1284592423' post='2173603']
I came here to have a break from the wife.

[img]http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/7/24/00d0748b-d81c-41b9-92e6-10f0409e43f4.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
:lol4:

Posted

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1284483588' post='2173084']
Phatmass, in my opinion, is a Catholic phorum intended to 1) Bring Catholics around the world in community together, 2) be a safe place for non-Catholics to come and learn more about the faith 3) foster an interest in Catholic media and 4) widen the perspective of Catholic universality that many of us do not necessarily see in our home parishes.

So, 1. We are a community. A Catholic community. What does it mean to be a Catholic? And a community? I've seen so many people say over the years that we are a phamily and all the bickering is to be taken in stride. I'm not sure what to think of that mentality. To me, as a person seriously discerning to spend her entire life in community living, a community is far more than a family con baggage. It's a family, with lots of baggage, that STILL seeks the sanctification of each and every one of its family members. I don't expect to constantly be best friends with ever single woman in my community, but I do expect that I, and they, will strive to love each and every one, seeking constantly to on their own/my faults that keep us from loving fully. For example, people that have a certain type of humor drive me nuts, to the point that I almost can't listen to them seriously. Left to itself, it could cause me to develop an intense dislike for said person. But in a community, you can't have people like this creating factions and splitting the community to the core. Not very Christlike... I bet the 12 apostles didn't always get along. But it's not their disagreements or personality spats that you hear about. It's there love. Their sacrifice. Their wisdom and their witness. Phatmass is Catholic. Catholic to the Core. dUSt has created a blessing, a haven on the internet. But having this haven brings along its own set of requirements. Catholicism is defined by the people that are Catholic, the Catholic Character developed by the Christian witness passed on from Christ. And, in a phorum, this Christian witness is extremely public, and the whole world can see. As a community, this aspect brings along its own set of responsibilities. The whole world sees our community, and so the whole world can see our spats, our petty fights, and our lack of Christian charity. They also see everything good, but as can by seen by turning on any news channel, the bad is remembered far longer than the good. So, what does it mean to be a Catholic on an internet phorum? We are in a position of responsibility, and all that see us learn about what it means to be Catholic. This summer, I spent eight weeks teaching Catholic VBS to 1-12th graders. I didn't get along with several of my teammates, but it wasn't a big deal because we never let the children see our disagreements. We knew that they looked up to us, that they emulated us, and if they saw us fighting about whether or not we should go outside for recess, they would pick up on it and respect us less. We were showing them Catholicism. We always had to be consciousness as to what we were teaching them, intentional or not.

2) Obvious. If you were a non-Catholic coming to PM learn more about Catholicism, what would you think of our "Community"? What do we really want them to see about our Faith? Yes, we are human and we sin too, but are we all seeking sanctification through improving our faults? or do we get caught up trying to remove the splinter in our neighbors eyes, ignoring the log in our own.

3) I may not like Catholic hip hop, but oh my goodness, yay Catholic hip hop.

4) When I was in Europe, I went to 6 countries in 10 days, ending spring break with the Easter triduum. I went to Mass in 7 different languages in these 10 days. Seven. I understood and was able to follow each and every one. Because Catholicism is Universal. (and Awesome, but that's beside the point ;) ). During the Easter services at the Vatican, I met people all over the world, all there to celebrate the Paschal mysteries with our Pontiff, our BRIDGEBUILDER, Pope Benedict. Wow.

The week after Easter, on Divine Mercy Sunday, I celebrated the Angelus with Papa Benny at Castel Gondolfo. It was the day after the Polish plane crash, and, with us waiting in line, were 100 Poles with black ribbons on their arms. They prayed the rosary in Polish, sang, and received comfort from the Holy Father in their own language, on the day celebrating something given to the world by a Polish saint. Never before have I felt the Catholic universality as I did in these two weeks.

Phatmass gives us a taste of this by having members from all over the world and all walks of life. But I think, sometimes, that the majority isn't always quite open to those of different backgrounds or cultures. idk...



Anywho, I guess I sort of went off on a tangent, but I just wanted to ask you and have you consider again what brings you to PM? Why are you a member of the Phamily? Is it an apostolate? A community? A haven? A place to troll? Please, I want to know.

Pax Christi,
DtA
[/quote]

Great post!

I love to learn about my faith. Probably the only place where the cool Catholics hang out next only to Catholic Answers. But Catholic Answers is like the airport in a big city. Great conversations, but very hit and go. Phatmass is like the small town where everyone knows your name and you come back for a beer.

Posted

[quote name='jmjtina' timestamp='1284612157' post='2173711']
Great post!

I love to learn about my faith. Probably the only place where the cool Catholics hang out next only to Catholic Answers. But Catholic Answers is like the airport in a big city. Great conversations, but very hit and go. Phatmass is like the small town where everyone knows your name and you come back for a beer.
[/quote]


Good observation. I like CA too but it is way too big for any real relationships to develop. I love it here - very phamily. :clapping:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...