Chi Zhuzi Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 Has anyone ever heard of this? This is the first time I've heard of the cult of the Black Christ in Latin America. I've known about the Black Madonna but not this. Short video: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWcbfjg-Nhk&feature=player_embedded"]My link[/url]
Micah Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 Ive seen black people from the United States use the black Christ image. They either havent read the Gospel or theyre worshiping someone else, because the Christ was Jewish.
Sternhauser Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Micah' timestamp='1284904682' post='2174530'] Ive seen black people from the United States use the black Christ image. They either havent read the Gospel or theyre worshiping someone else, because the Christ was Jewish. [/quote] So was the Virgin Mary. She looked very Spanish in the depiction on the tilma of Guadalupe. ~Sternhauser Edited September 19, 2010 by Sternhauser
Micah Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1284904846' post='2174532'] So was the Virgin Mary. She looked very Spanish in the depiction on the tilma of Guadalupe. ~Sternhauser [/quote] mhmm
Fragments Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 I would have thought Jesus would have had olive coloured skin, interesting video though.
Sternhauser Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 [quote name='Micah' timestamp='1284905480' post='2174534'] mhmm [/quote] And with all the effeminate, lily-white depictions of St. Joseph and Jesus floating around out there (thanks, Europe) would you make the same claim? That they don't recognize who they worship, or that St. Joseph and Jesus were Jewish? ~Sternhauser
Micah Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1284907203' post='2174552'] And with all the effeminate, lily-white depictions of St. Joseph and Jesus floating around out there (thanks, Europe) would you make the same claim? That they don't recognize who they worship, or that St. Joseph and Jesus were Jewish? ~Sternhauser [/quote] A. Have yet to see a lily-white Christ (lol at lily-white). B. Jewish, middle-Eastern colouration is closer to white than to black (I understand I may be stepping on some toes here). B. [size=3]when was the last time you hailed the white Jesus[/size]? These people call him black Jesus.. See the issue?
Sternhauser Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Micah' timestamp='1284907790' post='2174553'] A. Have yet to see a lily-white Christ (lol at lily-white). B. Jewish, middle-Eastern colouration is closer to white than to black (I understand I may be stepping on some toes here). B. [size="3"]when was the last time you hailed the white Jesus[/size]? These people call him black Jesus.. See the issue? [/quote] A. Then you haven't seen every Italian holy card ever. [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JnXd16RlK_c/SQqOIqrMTJI/AAAAAAAAIgA/G2Dn-k_tAqA/s320/presepe_bambino.jpg[/img] B. This is true. C. This isn't the issue you presented before, in so many words. It is a big difference. Kind of galling, in the way that Hispanics call Our Lady of Guadalupe "la flor de nuestra raza," "the flower of our race." Of course, Mary [i]is[/i] the flower of their race, as she is the flower of [i]every [/i]race. But I think many who call her "la flor de nuestra raza" tend to take its implications into the realm of the terrestrial and racial, not the Catholic (universal) realm. ~Sternhauser Edited September 19, 2010 by Sternhauser
Lilllabettt Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 I, a lily-white girl, have many times sung a hymn with the line "Mary, flower of our race" in there. I thought it referred to her being the sole unstained bloom of the human race.
Selah Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 It's really bad when the [b][i]first page of a thread [/i][/b]is making me headdesk.
LouisvilleFan Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 [quote name='Chi Zhuzi' timestamp='1284884456' post='2174493'] Has anyone ever heard of this? This is the first time I've heard of the cult of the Black Christ in Latin America. I've known about the Black Madonna but not this. Short video: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWcbfjg-Nhk&feature=player_embedded"]My link[/url] [/quote] Interesting that the video says this is a controversial story. What's the big controversy? It only seems natural to me that Christians of every race would portray Jesus and Mary as one of their own. Just because white Europeans have always portrayed Jesus with an anemic, pale skin tone doesn't make it a universal image, and definitely not what Jesus [i]of Nazareth[/i] looked like in real life.
Maggyie Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 I think Mary has appeared to various people as black, Hispanic, Asian etc. The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception has a shrine to Our Lady of La Vang and she is pictured holding a Vietnamese baby Jesus. However I don't think anybody is going around saying hail Asian Jesus... I think that WOULD be a problem...
Micah Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1284909022' post='2174556'] A. Then you haven't seen every Italian holy card ever. [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JnXd16RlK_c/SQqOIqrMTJI/AAAAAAAAIgA/G2Dn-k_tAqA/s320/presepe_bambino.jpg[/img] B. This is true. C. This isn't the issue you presented before, in so many words. It is a big difference. Kind of galling, in the way that Hispanics call Our Lady of Guadalupe "la flor de nuestra raza," "the flower of our race." Of course, Mary [i]is[/i] the flower of their race, as she is the flower of [i]every [/i]race. But I think many who call her "la flor de nuestra raza" tend to take its implications into the realm of the terrestrial and racial, not the Catholic (universal) realm. ~Sternhauser [/quote] slice it and dice it however you want stern, syncretism is wrong. Jesus was Jewish, I guess some people cant accept that. You saying other people does it too has no relevance to the rightness or wrongness of it. If i wasnt in a coffee shop right now I would headdesk.
Selah Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 Micah, your posts are coming off as borderline racist. That a Christian from any culture cannot portray Christ in the color/ethnic style of said culture is ludicrous. Acknowledging he is not a Jew would be one thing. Are they?
Micah Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 [quote name='Selah' timestamp='1284916978' post='2174591'] Micah, your posts are coming off as borderline racist. That a Christian from any culture cannot portray Christ in the color/ethnic style of said culture is ludicrous. Acknowledging he is not a Jew would be one thing. Are they? [/quote] Dude w.e, racist accusations are just a trump card. Jesus was Jewish; its wrong to portray him as anything else. Period.
MissScripture Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 [quote name='Selah' timestamp='1284916978' post='2174591'] Micah, your posts are coming off as borderline racist. That a Christian from any culture cannot portray Christ in the color/ethnic style of said culture is ludicrous. Acknowledging he is not a Jew would be one thing. Are they? [/quote] It would be racist if he said, "Black people can't do this, it is wrong" or "Asian people can't do this, it is wrong" or even "White people can't do this, it is wrong." It is not racist to say it is wrong for ANYONE to do something.
Micah Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 Jesus wasnt Irish either. You dont see me hailing the Irish Jesus. k Im done now. :]
Fragments Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 I think that surely if a person serves Jesus, no matter the colour of his skin his icon has been formed in, then they are at liberty to do so. I agree that is is important to remember to Jesus' race and background, however, it should not be a determining factor in allowing/disallowing someone to worship. In the video in question, the relationship to Jesus is challenged for me as it is shown that some people are speaking of Jesus as a Saint and not the Son of God.
Selah Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 [quote name='Micah' timestamp='1284917101' post='2174594'] Dude w.e, racist accusations are just a trump card. Jesus was Jewish; its wrong to portray him as anything else. Period. [/quote] Show me a Dogma that proves so and I will believe you. Otherwise, you are simply wrong
StColette Posted September 19, 2010 Posted September 19, 2010 I'm not sure about the whole Jesus taking on the race or ethnicity of a certain culture. I do know that in certain Marian Apparitions (Church approved ones) she has often times appeared looking like the race or ethnicity of that place. As someone pointed out when she appeared in Guadalupe she looked very Hispanic. When she appeared in Akita, Japan her facial features were similar to the people of that region. There was an apparition of Our Lord in Africa (though I'm not 100% sure if it's approved). I'm not sure how he was described as appearing then. It does seem that Our Lady takes on the appearance of the people to whom she's appearing.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now