Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Can a Catholic be possessed, especially after we've been baptized, confirm, and generally participate in the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Also, will you be seeing this movie?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk5n-fVoNaU[/media]

ThePenciledOne
Posted

I am pretty sure it's still possible, though rare.

Have you read this book yet? "An Exorcist Tells His Story" It's written by the former chief exorcist of Rome, Fr. Gabriele Amorth, and he answers a lot of these sort of questions.

[i]It's really good as well.[/i]

The summary:


In this powerful book, the renowned exorcist of Rome tells of his many experiences in his ministry as an exorcist doing battle with Satan to relieve the great suffering of people in the grip of evil. The importance of the ministry to "expel demons" is clearly seen in the Gospels, from the actions of the Apostles, and from Church history. Fr. Amorth allows the reader to witness the activities of the exorcist, to experience what an exorcist sees and does. He also reveals how little modern science, psychology, and medicine can do to help those under Satan's influence, and that only the power of Christ can release them from this kind of mental, spiritual or physical suffering.

Posted

No I haven't, but it's on my mental checklist of books to read. As soon as I recover from the last whackload of books I just bought. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]

It seems that exorcists are making a comeback. I hope it is because we were short and not because the need is increasing, though I suspect both.

Posted

that movie is based on the non-fiction book, so we will see how it turns out. i won't probably see it in the theatres, but will once it is rentable.

and yes, i believe a Catholic can be possessed.

Posted

Well I have to say that the trailer looked pretty awesome...or maybe it was just the music! lol

Well to answer your question yes I do believe Catholics as well as any other Christian can get possesed. Now a devout Catholic/Christian would be unlikely but not impossible. A person who was not so devout, such as out brothers and sisters who just hold Catholic or Christian as a name and nothing more, on the other hand would be at a far greater risk.
Yes we do have our baptism to protect us but sometimes that is not always enough.
At the moment though I'm a little rusty on my spiritual warfare knowledge so if you would like to know more I'll try to get back to you after I've skimmed through my books again.

Also another good book to add to your collection is 'Interview with an Exorcist' by Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea.
It is a very good book that is set up in a question answer style and is easy to follow and full of great things to assist in spiritual warfare. Though be warned, it has some heavy stuff in it and as with anything dealing with demons and so forth should only taken in small doses.

One more thing, I liked in the trailer what was said about the devil not wanting to be seen and thought of as not there. Very true statement that too many people now a day believe.

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

I'm always leary about movies about the Church and priests and nuns, because it has been so very long since I have seen a new one that [i]was not[/i] blasphemous in some way or another, or one which showed the Church in a good light.

When/if someone here sees this movie, can you please tell me how it is? I'll see it if it is good.

Posted (edited)

The trailer made the movie look pathetic. A standard Hollywood thriller. Just add water and stir. I have only seen two trailers. But here is the movie: "Young, hip, street-smart priest meets old, dowdy priest. Becomes dowdy priest's apprentice. Insert generic smart-mouth comments on the part of fresh young priest, including how old-fashioned the old priest is. Old priest counters with dry, biting comments about how naive the young priest is, when young priest makes dangerous mistake. Amazed, chastened look on young priest's face as he grows to respect old priest. Old priest teaches priest how to exorcise, amidst much heel-dragging. Old priest becomes possessed. Young priest realizes the old priest was right, that's it's not all hokum! Facing his own hidden demons and doubts, he begins the exorcism. His skills are put to the test, as he struggles with the forces of evil to liberate old priest from dark powers. An emotional rollercoster and hilarity ensues! A witty, irreverent time had by all."

That'll be $14, please.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser
Posted

[quote name='Micah' timestamp='1293430283' post='2194599']
Can a Catholic be possessed, especially after we've been baptized, confirm, and generally participate in the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Also, will you be seeing this movie?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk5n-fVoNaU[/media]
[/quote]
It is quite possible and it does happen. In fact every diocese is supposed to have an exorcist.
God allows Satan to send demons to harass, oppress, and possess us. Not because Satan has power over God, but because God gives Satan some amount of power on earth by which to test us.

The movie..... eh. I dunno. The book didn't impress me much. For it to be dramatized into a movie it will probably not be very good, because not much can measure up to The Exorcist.

Posted

I think part of the problem is that any movie about an exorcism is going to be compared to [i]The Exorcist[/i]...and the people making it know that. So, there's that self-conscious vibe that goes into making one. One can hope that it wouldn't be terrible, but...we'll see. I'm not generally a fan of horror flicks.

Being Catholic (baptized, confirmed, etc) does not make one immune from demonic influence. A full-blown possession would be...unusual...to say the least, but there were saints who suffered from it (unless I am completely mistaken).

Posted

I can recommend "Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist." A tad cheesy at some points, but when it's good, it's very good. And it's a bit more realistic in showing the "big picture" when it comes to demonic influence.

~Sternhauser

Posted (edited)

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1295732375' post='2203132']
I think part of the problem is that any movie about an exorcism is going to be compared to [i]The Exorcist[/i]...and the people making it know that. So, there's that self-conscious vibe that goes into making one. One can hope that it wouldn't be terrible, but...we'll see. I'm not generally a fan of horror flicks.

Being Catholic (baptized, confirmed, etc) does not make one immune from demonic influence. A full-blown possession would be...unusual...to say the least, but there were saints who suffered from it (unless I am completely mistaken).
[/quote]
You are correct, it has been known to happen on occasion. Demonic oppression (to use Fr. Amorth's distinction) is more common, of course.

Edited by Nihil Obstat
IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I won't be going to see the movie. Anything relating to demonic possession scares the living poo out of me.

As to can Catholics be possessed/obsessed, I agree with everyone else who explained that it can happen.

MarkKurallSchuenemann
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Micah' timestamp='1293432438' post='2194604']
No I haven't, but it's on my mental checklist of books to read. As soon as I recover from the last whackload of books I just bought. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]

It seems that exorcists are making a comeback. I hope it is because we were short and not because the need is increasing, though I suspect both.
[/quote]

It is my general opinion, Satan is trying really hard to do something on the Earth right now (think aliens and all that stuff), and is getting a bit desperate because there are people who are trained in such things fighting back right now - ensuring God's will is done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

The Lord's prayer is a powerful prayer in spiritual warfare - especially if you are earnest that God's will is done on Earth as it is in Heaven. As I recite that part of the prayer, I always go - God let Heaven and Earth and my life be as you said they would be today based upon the Bible, as I place my hand on the word of God!

IOW, Satan is getting desperate, and he's making tonnes of mistakes right now - like any serial killer!

And yes, any believer can be possessed by a demon, Catholic or Protestant. All you need to do is not understand what the still small voice of God is and then start listening to other voices!

Edited by MarkKurallSchuenemann
Posted

I actually don't agree with the above post. I think Satan is having an easier time now than he has in the past, largely because he has managed to convince people that he's just a silly superstition.

If you asked 50 Catholics what they think about exorcism, I'd be willing to bet that 40 of them will tell you that it's one of those old things they did in the past before we had psychiatric doctors and medicine. Satan changes his tactics to suit the prevailing culture, so it makes sense that he can hide in plain site in this day and age. He can hide behind abortionists, ouija boards marketed to tweens, and malefices that nobody believes in anymore.

MarkKurallSchuenemann
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1295741100' post='2203196']
I actually don't agree with the above post. I think Satan is having an easier time now than he has in the past, largely because he has managed to convince people that he's just a silly superstition.

If you asked 50 Catholics what they think about exorcism, I'd be willing to bet that 40 of them will tell you that it's one of those old things they did in the past before we had psychiatric doctors and medicine. Satan changes his tactics to suit the prevailing culture, so it makes sense that he can hide in plain site in this day and age. He can hide behind abortionists, ouija boards marketed to tweens, and malefices that nobody believes in anymore.
[/quote]

I said the above because I have some 'expertise' in this. Yes, Satan is scared right now - because God doesn't need 10 people who believe to do something against Satan.

Remember, in old testament verses, God promised Israel that if one man stood against a 1000, he would send them to flight, and two men would utterly destroy 10,000 - because God would go out before them and fight their battles for them.

So, in the new testament, the there has been a shift between the flesh to the spirit, so if one man could stand against a 1000 in battle in the natural, than one man with the holy spirit can face 1,000 demons in the spiritual because God is going forth and defeating those spirits for us. Because of this, Satan is running out of evil spirits he can send against us, because there is only a limited supply, and so he is acting in desperation right now, and rightfully so. He is the one who should be afraid, not us. We've been promised to tread upon serpents and scorpions through the name of Jesus - and we know that means - we have power over all evil spirits!

Don't loose hope, God is winning this war for us. It is only a matter of time!

Posted

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1295741648' post='2203201']
I said the above because I have some 'expertise' in this. Yes, Satan is scared right now - because God doesn't need 10 people who believe to do something against Satan.

Remember, in old testament verses, God promised Israel that if one man stood against a 1000, he would send them to flight, and two men would utterly destroy 10,000 - because God would go out before them and fight their battles for them.

So, in the new testament, the there has been a shift between the flesh to the spirit, so if one man could stand against a 1000 in battle in the natural, than one man with the holy spirit can face 1,000 demons in the spiritual because God is going forth and defeating those spirits for us. Because of this, Satan is running out of evil spirits he can send against us, because there is only a limited supply, and so he is acting in desperation right now, and rightfully so. He is the one who should be afraid, not us. We've been promised to tread upon serpents and scorpions through the name of Jesus - and we know that means - we have power over all evil spirits!

Don't loose hope, God is winning this war for us. It is only a matter of time!
[/quote]
Satan's power was broken 2000 years ago at Calvary. He has lost already. There's no question of that.
He won't 'run out' of demons though. We don't exactly understand how demons operate, but we do know that there are not less of them roaming the earth seeking the ruin of souls than there was in the 1500s. It is safe to assume that the number of angels and the number of demons is beyond our comprehension, I believe.
One man can face as many demons as Satan can send, because God only allows what that man can already handle. If Satan were given free reign, every single person on this earth would be possessed. Satan is quite literally waiting at every moment, and he takes every single inch God allows him. We remain by the grace of God alone, by the power of the Church. When God allows a person to be possessed, Satan jumps at that opportunity. If God decides that the person has had enough, then the demon is blown away like a twig in front of a burst dam.

MarkKurallSchuenemann
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1295742220' post='2203204']
Satan's power was broken 2000 years ago at Calvary. He has lost already. There's no question of that.
He won't 'run out' of demons though. We don't exactly understand how demons operate, but we do know that there are not less of them roaming the earth seeking the ruin of souls than there was in the 1500s. It is safe to assume that the number of angels and the number of demons is beyond our comprehension, I believe.[/quote]

I imprison every demon I fight in hell, and there is a limited number of them. I haven't read through all of the book of Enoch, but I do know that all demonic spirits are the spirits of the Nephilim, and there is only a limited number of them.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1295742220' post='2203204']
One man can face as many demons as Satan can send, because God only allows what that man can already handle. If Satan were given free reign, every single person on this earth would be possessed. Satan is quite literally waiting at every moment, and he takes every single inch God allows him. We remain by the grace of God alone, by the power of the Church. When God allows a person to be possessed, Satan jumps at that opportunity. If God decides that the person has had enough, then the demon is blown away like a twig in front of a burst dam.
[/quote]

I have no disagreement on this thought - but God doesn't allow a person to be possessed. The person who gets possessed allows himself or herself to become possessed. I could discuss this if you guys will allow me too, so you can start to understand how demonic possession happens.

Edited by MarkKurallSchuenemann
Posted

[quote name='MarkKurallSchuenemann' timestamp='1295742722' post='2203207']
I imprison every demon I fight in hell, and there is a limited number of them. I haven't read through all of the book of Enoch, but I do know that all demonic spirits are the spirits of the Nephilim.



I have no disagreement on this thought - but God doesn't allow a person to be possessed. The person who gets possessed allows himself or herself to become possessed. I could discuss this if you guys will allow me too, so you can start to understand how demonic possession happens.
[/quote]
Every demon who is exorcised is imprisoned forever in Hell, but I believe it is correct to say that the number of demons on the earth is (for all intents and purposes) without limit. Demons in fact are also deathly afraid of the pains of hell, and will resist mightily to being cast out. They will hide, pretend they are gone, or sometimes leave a person to inhabit another, because they know that the torture of Hell is eternal.

It is simply not true that God does not allow a person to be possessed. That would imply that Satan has power opposed to God. That is dualist thinking, and not acceptable. A person can participate in this paradigm through *rejection of* God's power, but the initiative and authority rests entirely with God. If God does not want a person to be subjected to Satan's torture, it is literally impossible for it to happen. We do have the free will to reject God's protection (e.g. through participation in a Black Mass), but the fact is that God allows (through His passive will) all demonic influence in this world. For the good of our souls, but that goes without saying.

Posted

Would I watch this movie? Yes.

MarkKurallSchuenemann
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1295743003' post='2203209']
Every demon who is exorcised is imprisoned forever in Hell, but I believe it is correct to say that the number of demons on the earth is (for all intents and purposes) without limit. [/quote]

Well, that must mean Satan is Omnipotent and Omniscient and Omnipresent - according to your words. Guess what - I would check yourself on that - because that is blasphemy. Satan is not equal to God, and Satan does have a limit and is limited because he is not God.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1295743003' post='2203209']
Demons in fact are also deathly afraid of the pains of hell, and will resist mightily to being cast out. They will hide, pretend they are gone, or sometimes leave a person to inhabit another, because they know that the torture of Hell is eternal.[/quote]

That's why I ensure all demons I fight are sent to Hell, and I imprison them.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1295743003' post='2203209']
It is simply not true that God does not allow a person to be possessed. That would imply that Satan has power opposed to God. That is dualist thinking, and not acceptable. A person can participate in this paradigm through *rejection of* God's power, but the initiative and authority rests entirely with God. If God does not want a person to be subjected to Satan's torture, it is literally impossible for it to happen. We do have the free will to reject God's protection (e.g. through participation in a Black Mass), but the fact is that God allows (through His passive will) all demonic influence in this world. For the good of our souls, but that goes without saying.
[/quote]

Possession isn't what you guys actually think it is. Demonic possession isn't forcing the person to do things they can't stop themselves from doing, but when someone starts listening to a spirit other than God. That stuff makes great Hollywood movies - and I can certainly understand why most of you might think that is what demonic possession is because you get bombarded by that message way too much.

This one set of scriptures ultimately show this.

[quote]Mark 5:2-15[sup][/sup]And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit,

[sup][/sup]Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:

[sup][/sup]Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.

[sup][/sup]And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.

[sup][/sup]But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,

[sup][/sup]And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.

[sup][/sup]For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.

[sup][/sup]And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

[sup][/sup]And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country.

[sup][/sup]Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding.

[sup][/sup]And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them.

[sup][/sup]And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.

[sup][/sup]And they that fed the swine fled, and told it in the city, and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that was done.

[sup][/sup]And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

[/quote]

The man ran to Jesus, the demons couldn't keep him back from running to Jesus.

Demon's can't make a man do anything the man doesn't want to do. No matter what spirit inhabits a person, the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet!

You took the wrong message from what I am saying - so I appologize for not being clear. Demons are inferor to man, they are not as powerful as us, especially believers. That is why in numerology - the Devil's number is 5, Man's is 6, and God's is 7!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...