An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vee8 Answers Your Questions About The Faith

dominicansoul

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1305496025' post='2241974']
Vee, I know I already asked this, and I don't expect much of an answer, but how come the the habits of the carmeltes in old paintings are a lighter shade of brown than current habits.

[size="1"]edited for typo and I like to see my name on both ends of posts[/size]
[/quote]

It could be that back in the day the habits were made of serge and now they tend to be made of other materials, so maybe the fabric has something to do with it.

Maximilianus

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1305506732' post='2242059']
It could be that back in the day the habits were made of serge and now they tend to be made of other materials, so maybe the fabric has something to do with it.
[/quote]

wow, thanks...

what's serge?

IgnatiusofLoyola

All I know is that serge is a more inexpensive (and I think rougher) kind of wool, but I don't know exactly how it is woven differently.

I figured habits were different colors for various reasons:

--Different habits were made from wool from different dye lots. Even today, wool can be a different color if it came from a different dye lot. Even more so in the past, when dye lots were smaller and dyes were made from natural materials.

--I assume that Sisters/Nuns/Brothers wore their habits as long as possible, so over time, and with multiple washings colors would fade or change.

--Light fades darker colors, so religious who spent more time outside probably had lighter habits over time.

--Time changes and fades colors, so even habits that are historically preserved stlll tend to change color, usually fade.

--To save money, I doubt that communities deliberately tried to wear habits of the exact same color, but would use whatever habits were available, and pass habits down as members died.

I'm no fabric expert so I'm sure there are more reasons that I haven't thought of.

• 4 weeks later...
Lil'Monster

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1307591316' post='2251541']
Iggy is smart! Maybe she should have her own thread.... hmmmmm
[/quote]

that would be cool

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1307429208' post='2250725']
:jester:
[/quote]

Oh go take another "Lent" <_<

Vee, when Carmelite nuns of the Teresian reform wear shoes (the rest of the habit is fully traditional) are they still OC*D*?

This seems a metaphysical conundrum.

• 2 weeks later...

Vee are you going to write to the Purple Carmelites? I think you should.

Dear Sister,

I like your community. I bet it does not snow there. And you wear purple. That is way more fun than brown. Purple Carmelites make Jesus happy, I bet. Brown scapulars are for wusses after all. And I bet it does not snow.

Do you have tall nuns?

When can I enter?

Love, Vee.

p.s. Yes yes yes, Teresa, Ascent of Mount Carmel, Juanito, yadda yadda yadda. I like purple. And dislike snow. Talk to me again about tall nuns.

Lil'Monster

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1308780691' post='2257422']
Vee are you going to write to the Purple Carmelites? I think you should.

Dear Sister,

I like your community. I bet it does not snow there. And you wear purple. That is way more fun than brown. Purple Carmelites make Jesus happy, I bet. Brown scapulars are for wusses after all. And I bet it does not snow.

Do you have tall nuns?

When can I enter?

Love, Vee.

p.s. Yes yes yes, Teresa, Ascent of Mount Carmel, Juanito, yadda yadda yadda. I like purple. And dislike snow. Talk to me again about tall nuns.
[/quote]

rotfl

• 4 years later...
dominicansoul

vee,

What is the blood moon really all about?  Is it a sign that we're all a bunch of lousy sinners ready to be punished by the sword or what?

1454830967978665646.jpg