An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vee8 Answers Your Questions About The Faith

dominicansoul

[quote name='knightec' timestamp='1303949165' post='2234054']
where did i put my keys?
[/quote]

You could ask St Anthony or say three Glory Be's the latter being my preferred method of finding stuff.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1303948537' post='2234051']
Where was Thomas when Jesus came to the disciples?!!?!?!?!! ?
[/quote]

:secret:
[spoiler] the toilet [/spoiler]

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1303657413' post='2231797']
Vee, I was looking around at various church's schedules and for this weekend and a nearby monastery had a vigil at 4:30 AM!!!!

I am not nearly holy enough to go to church at 4:30 am. Not nearly.

Is this a problem?
[/quote]

The problem lies in the factor whereby holiness is dictated by lack of sleep and/or hour of early rising. I think it is best, then, to just never sleep at all and go to the earliest Mass possible. Or latest in this case. Either that or get stuck in the slacker section of heaven.

I went to the 9pm vigil. I am a heathen.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1303936679' post='2233969']
Vee,

when that blind dude gets healed by Jesus...why doesn't he automatically see? Why does Jesus have to do an extra hands-on healing?

[/quote]
Dude! I always wondered that same thing! But the parish priest here said he wasn't just born blind, but he was born without EYES. Then he spit in the dirt, and made clay eyes for him. O_O

I have never heard this before. Can someone more theologically versed enlighten me?

Maximilianus

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1303967901' post='2234173']
Dude! I always wondered that same thing! But the parish priest here said he wasn't just born blind, but he was born without EYES. Then he spit in the dirt, and made clay eyes for him. O_O

I have never heard this before. Can someone more theologically versed enlighten me?
[/quote]

You can forget about vee covering this one..she'll just pass the buck...I'm still waiting for the 5 bucks I payed DS for my initail questions.

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1303968156' post='2234174']
You can forget about vee covering this one..she'll just pass the buck...I'm still waiting for the 5 bucks I payed DS for my initail questions.
[/quote]
Hmm, maybe I will post in the Q and A section :hmmm:

Maximilianus

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1303968199' post='2234175']
Hmm, maybe I will post in the Q and A section :hmmm:
[/quote]

Well if your lucky vee will leave a cool pic of a beer...but still.

Lil'Monster

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1303967302' post='2234165']
:secret:
[spoiler] the toilet [/spoiler]
[/quote]

rotfl

thats what my dad would say :|

rotfl

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1303967901' post='2234173']

[/quote]

I have NEVER heard THAT!!!

As far as "Why isn't he fully healed right away???" -- well isn't that how it happens sometimes? Sometimes God acts in dramatic ways RIGHT AWAY. Sometimes, God is no less at work, but the process is slower. It takes a while.

The miracles of the New Testament are not simply about relieving the suffering of this individual person. (What about all the people out there who DIDN'T get healed? Or raised from the dead? Or whatever else?) They are that -- but that's not the point. Nor are they simply evidence that Jesus is Hot Stuff. They are that too -- but that also isn't the point.

They are the beginnings of the unfolding of the New Creation. (This is most especially true in John, which is all about New Creation -- the Gospel's first lines are "In the beginning" which should sound a mite familiar from Genesis. But it's true throughout the Gospels.) The world is out of sorts -- and the process of setting it right is beginning now. People who were impure and outside community (the woman who had been bleeding for twelve years) are purified and restored to community. The powers of evil are being broken. Sometimes that happens right away. Sometimes it takes a while. It makes sense that in the miracle narratives (which are good in and of themselves, but more profoundly point to something larger) we'd see instances of both.

As far as "How does a blind person know what trees look like???" -- actually, this is random. But neuroscience might be able to help a little. (I am thinking out loud. Please do not stone me if this is wrong.) Sometimes, because our brains are wacky, depending on the exact physical nature of the blindness people can "see" things they are not aware of seeing.

So, show a person a picture of a clock. "What time does it say?" "I have no idea. I am blind." "Just guess." And they get it right. Not always -- but way more often than random chance would indicate. WEIRD.

Brains are weird.

So MAYBE there is something like that going on.

Ahem. Enough scriptural theology and neuroscience. Back to posting pictures of beer.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1303967657' post='2234169']
The problem lies in the factor whereby holiness is dictated by lack of sleep and/or hour of early rising. I think it is best, then, to just never sleep at all and go to the earliest Mass possible. Or latest in this case. Either that or get stuck in the slacker section of heaven.

I went to the 9pm vigil. I am a heathen.
[/quote]

:shock:

I went to the 8 pm.

You are one hour holier than I am.

dominicansoul

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1304114528' post='2234770']
I have NEVER heard THAT!!!

As far as "Why isn't he fully healed right away???" -- well isn't that how it happens sometimes? Sometimes God acts in dramatic ways RIGHT AWAY. Sometimes, God is no less at work, but the process is slower. It takes a while.

The miracles of the New Testament are not simply about relieving the suffering of this individual person. (What about all the people out there who DIDN'T get healed? Or raised from the dead? Or whatever else?) They are that -- but that's not the point. Nor are they simply evidence that Jesus is Hot Stuff. They are that too -- but that also isn't the point.

They are the beginnings of the unfolding of the New Creation. (This is most especially true in John, which is all about New Creation -- the Gospel's first lines are "In the beginning" which should sound a mite familiar from Genesis. But it's true throughout the Gospels.) The world is out of sorts -- and the process of setting it right is beginning now. People who were impure and outside community (the woman who had been bleeding for twelve years) are purified and restored to community. The powers of evil are being broken. Sometimes that happens right away. Sometimes it takes a while. It makes sense that in the miracle narratives (which are good in and of themselves, but more profoundly point to something larger) we'd see instances of both.

As far as "How does a blind person know what trees look like???" -- actually, this is random. But neuroscience might be able to help a little. (I am thinking out loud. Please do not stone me if this is wrong.) Sometimes, because our brains are wacky, depending on the exact physical nature of the blindness people can "see" things they are not aware of seeing.

So, show a person a picture of a clock. "What time does it say?" "I have no idea. I am blind." "Just guess." And they get it right. Not always -- but way more often than random chance would indicate. WEIRD.

Brains are weird.

So MAYBE there is something like that going on.

Ahem. Enough scriptural theology and neuroscience. Back to posting pictures of beer.
[/quote]

krissy

krissy

krissy

krissy

come back home already!!!

krissylou

Vee, is it possible to literally overdose and die from an excess of church meetings?

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]