Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vee8 Answers Your Questions About The Faith


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='ardillacid' timestamp='1303967901' post='2234173']
Dude! I always wondered that same thing! But the parish priest here said he wasn't just born blind, but he was born without EYES. Then he spit in the dirt, and made clay eyes for him. O_O

I have never heard this before. Can someone more theologically versed enlighten me?
[/quote]

I have NEVER heard THAT!!!

As far as "Why isn't he fully healed right away???" -- well isn't that how it happens sometimes? Sometimes God acts in dramatic ways RIGHT AWAY. Sometimes, God is no less at work, but the process is slower. It takes a while.

The miracles of the New Testament are not simply about relieving the suffering of this individual person. (What about all the people out there who DIDN'T get healed? Or raised from the dead? Or whatever else?) They are that -- but that's not the point. Nor are they simply evidence that Jesus is Hot Stuff. They are that too -- but that also isn't the point.

They are the beginnings of the unfolding of the New Creation. (This is most especially true in John, which is all about New Creation -- the Gospel's first lines are "In the beginning" which should sound a mite familiar from Genesis. But it's true throughout the Gospels.) The world is out of sorts -- and the process of setting it right is beginning now. People who were impure and outside community (the woman who had been bleeding for twelve years) are purified and restored to community. The powers of evil are being broken. Sometimes that happens right away. Sometimes it takes a while. It makes sense that in the miracle narratives (which are good in and of themselves, but more profoundly point to something larger) we'd see instances of both.

As far as "How does a blind person know what trees look like???" -- actually, this is random. But neuroscience might be able to help a little. (I am thinking out loud. Please do not stone me if this is wrong.) Sometimes, because our brains are wacky, depending on the exact physical nature of the blindness people can "see" things they are not aware of seeing.

So, show a person a picture of a clock. "What time does it say?" "I have no idea. I am blind." "Just guess." And they get it right. Not always -- but way more often than random chance would indicate. WEIRD.

Brains are weird.

So MAYBE there is something like that going on.

Ahem. Enough scriptural theology and neuroscience. Back to posting pictures of beer.

Posted

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1303967657' post='2234169']
The problem lies in the factor whereby holiness is dictated by lack of sleep and/or hour of early rising. I think it is best, then, to just never sleep at all and go to the earliest Mass possible. Or latest in this case. Either that or get stuck in the slacker section of heaven.



I went to the 9pm vigil. I am a heathen.
[/quote]


:shock:

I went to the 8 pm.

You are one hour holier than I am.

dominicansoul
Posted

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1304114528' post='2234770']
I have NEVER heard THAT!!!

As far as "Why isn't he fully healed right away???" -- well isn't that how it happens sometimes? Sometimes God acts in dramatic ways RIGHT AWAY. Sometimes, God is no less at work, but the process is slower. It takes a while.

The miracles of the New Testament are not simply about relieving the suffering of this individual person. (What about all the people out there who DIDN'T get healed? Or raised from the dead? Or whatever else?) They are that -- but that's not the point. Nor are they simply evidence that Jesus is Hot Stuff. They are that too -- but that also isn't the point.

They are the beginnings of the unfolding of the New Creation. (This is most especially true in John, which is all about New Creation -- the Gospel's first lines are "In the beginning" which should sound a mite familiar from Genesis. But it's true throughout the Gospels.) The world is out of sorts -- and the process of setting it right is beginning now. People who were impure and outside community (the woman who had been bleeding for twelve years) are purified and restored to community. The powers of evil are being broken. Sometimes that happens right away. Sometimes it takes a while. It makes sense that in the miracle narratives (which are good in and of themselves, but more profoundly point to something larger) we'd see instances of both.

As far as "How does a blind person know what trees look like???" -- actually, this is random. But neuroscience might be able to help a little. (I am thinking out loud. Please do not stone me if this is wrong.) Sometimes, because our brains are wacky, depending on the exact physical nature of the blindness people can "see" things they are not aware of seeing.

So, show a person a picture of a clock. "What time does it say?" "I have no idea. I am blind." "Just guess." And they get it right. Not always -- but way more often than random chance would indicate. WEIRD.

Brains are weird.

So MAYBE there is something like that going on.

Ahem. Enough scriptural theology and neuroscience. Back to posting pictures of beer.
[/quote]

krissy















































krissy







































































krissy





























































krissy































































come back home already!!!

Posted

Where would be the fun?

krissylou
Posted

Vee, is it possible to literally overdose and die from an excess of church meetings?

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1303967657' post='2234169']
The problem lies in the factor whereby holiness is dictated by lack of sleep and/or hour of early rising. I think it is best, then, to just never sleep at all and go to the earliest Mass possible. Or latest in this case. Either that or get stuck in the slacker section of heaven.

[/quote]

There is a slacker section of heaven? Kewl. Count me in.

Up at 10 am. Nice brunch. Lunch at 1:00. Tea at four. Dinner at 7:00. Evening snacks at 10:00. There are people who LOVE to cook. One of our goals in the slacker section will be to make these individuals feel happy and fulfilled. Pizza available 24/7.

I also hear there are people who LOVE to clean. Another goal of the slacker section will be to make THESE individuals feel happy and fulfilled. We are SO selfless.

A third goal will be to drink beer (or any beverage of your choice)--we're kewl with whatever--no worries.

Lil'Monster
Posted

hey vee i wanna a tag! can u bug Dust to give me one! lol

Posted

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1304556687' post='2237260']
Vee, is it possible to literally overdose and die from an excess of church meetings?

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I dont know, are the other members gonna kill you for knitting during such meetings?
You could always join a convent where knitting and chatting is par for the course then you wouldnt have to worry! :P

Posted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1304563144' post='2237345']
There is a slacker section of heaven? Kewl. Count me in.

Up at 10 am. Nice brunch. Lunch at 1:00. Tea at four. Dinner at 7:00. Evening snacks at 10:00. There are people who LOVE to cook. One of our goals in the slacker section will be to make these individuals feel happy and fulfilled. Pizza available 24/7.

I also hear there are people who LOVE to clean. Another goal of the slacker section will be to make THESE individuals feel happy and fulfilled. We are SO selfless.

A third goal will be to drink beer (or any beverage of your choice)--we're kewl with whatever--no worries.
[/quote]
I want to get up at 10:30 or maybe noon.
Oh man heaven is going to be so much fun.

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1304563724' post='2237350']
hey vee i wanna a tag! can u bug Dust to give me one! lol
[/quote]

I dont even know how I got the one I have, it just appeared one day. Im serious!

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1304564160' post='2237356']
I dont know, are the other members gonna kill you for knitting during such meetings?
You could always join a convent where knitting and chatting is par for the course then you wouldnt have to worry! :P
[/quote]
You are such a stinker! Now you're going to be twins with DS? Really? Do you want to be that closely associated with her? :harhar:

Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1304564404' post='2237360']
You are such a stinker! Now you're going to be twins with DS? Really? Do you want to be that closely associated with her? :harhar:
[/quote]

:saint: Well I would've copied your avatar but it's too difficult :( Yeah im not sure I want to be that closely associated with her I mean even her pancreas doesnt like her.

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1304565755' post='2237368']
:saint: Well I would've copied your avatar but it's too difficult :( Yeah im not sure I want to be that closely associated with her I mean even her pancreas doesnt like her.
[/quote]
Don't worry. I'll just attribute everything you say to DS now. :|

Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1304566789' post='2237378']
Don't worry. I'll just attribute everything you say to DS now. :|
[/quote]

ok! Carmelites FTW!!!! OPs :sleep3:

Maximilianus
Posted

vee, when you become a Trappistine, will you miss your Carmelite sensibilities and Dominican tendancies?

krissylou
Posted

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1304597272' post='2237469']
vee, when you become a Trappistine, will you miss your Carmelite sensibilities and Dominican tendancies?
[/quote]

And have you even WRITTEN to the monastery in Arizona where it is WARM and they have a TALL NUN?

Dear Sister Vocation Director,

I am very drawn to your monastery in Arizona. I was discerning with the BC Carmel but guess what, it snows there? I grow weary of snow. Arizona seems great. Also, I am tall. You already have a tall nun, so clearly this is a place for tall nuns.

I wish to arrange an immediate entrance.

Love,

Vee

p.s. yes yes Rule of Benedict, Bernard of Clairvaux, Thomas Merton. Yay them. All great. But tell me more about this lack of snow ...

MargaretTeresa
Posted
rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl


Also, krissy, I agree with DS's ginormous post above... when are you coming home? Do I need to begin flogging too?
MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1304567955' post='2237389']
ok! Carmelites FTW!!!! OPs :sleep3:
[/quote]
Goober

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

vee, why are you such a slacker?

Maximilianus
Posted

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1305495521' post='2241970']
vee, why are you such a slacker?
[/quote]

you can forget about getting any real answer vee, vee tends to pass the buck. maybe if you are lucky she'll post a pic of beer

Maximilianus
Posted (edited)

Vee, I know I already asked this, and I don't expect much of an answer, but how come the the habits of the carmeltes in old paintings are a lighter shade of brown than current habits.

[size="1"]edited for typo and I like to see my name on both ends of posts[/size]

Edited by Maximilianus

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...