dUSt Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 I recently wrote an e-mail to Fr Konik regarding the phatmass "Catholic vs Catholic" rule. Below is his reply. [quote]Hello Father. My name is (dUSt), and I'm the webmaster of the Catholic website phatmass.com. I was made aware of you through one of my forum members, whom I have a great deal of respect for. I'd like your opinion on a matter, if it doesn't take too much of your time. A recent issue of contention lately has been a "forum rule" I've had in place for some time. The rule states this: [i][b]NO CATHOLIC VS CATHOLIC DEBATE[/b] - A post or comment that results in doctrinal debates that might cause scandal among the faithful. Any negative criticism of religious or the current Magisterium will result in deletion, and a warning from the moderators. This includes but is not limited to criticism of the Novus Ordo mass, The Traditional Latin Mass, or our Holy Father.[/i] As you can imagine, this rule is not popular among some of the more scholarly Catholics on the board. They say that we have a right as Catholics to discuss these matters. I actually agree 100%. But, as webmaster of a site who's primary focus is on youth and to evangelize non-Catholics, I feel that these types of debates generally cause too much hostility and are better discussed elsewhere. So, my question: Am I wrong for enforcing this rule? Do you have other thoughts on this matter? Thank you for your time. Again, I wouldn't be bothering you if you weren't so highly respected by one of my forum members.[/quote] His reply: [quote] Dear (dUSt), As webmaster, it is your right to establish policy. If you think such discussion and debate is better discussed elsewhere, that's fine. You might want to include that explanation in your policy statement.[color="#FF0000"] If the focus is youth and evangelization, [b]liturgical debates seem out of place.[/color][/b] Fr. Thomas M. Kocik Editor, Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal www.liturgysociety.org[/quote] So, there we have it. I feel much better about having this rule now. Per father's suggestion, I'll add a brief explanation of why this rule is in place.
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 I totally agree with that priest and have never objected to that rule per se. My beef a few months ago was more with that weird oath thing and the manner and context in which is was asserted. I've seriously tried to avoid novus ordo debates on PM over the years, although I'm sure if someone combed through my posts they could find times when I failed. lol.
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 Actually, I give you props for that rule. It's your forum, and I can totally understand wanting to keep a high level of respect for the Mass and the clergy on the boards. Props man. Peace.
Lil Red Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1296682217' post='2207890'] Actually, I give you props for that rule. It's your forum, and I can totally understand wanting to keep a high level of respect for the Mass and the clergy on the boards. Props man. Peace. [/quote] i your avatar
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1296682239' post='2207891'] i your avatar [/quote] I know. [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/phatmass/HanSolo.jpg[/IMG]
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 I wanted to PM you but it's full and I'm too lazy to do email.
Lil Red Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1296682765' post='2207898'] I wanted to PM you but it's full and I'm too lazy to do email. [/quote] phatmass @ gmail.com
Nihil Obstat Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 (edited) [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1296680298' post='2207873'] I recently wrote an e-mail to Fr Konik regarding the phatmass "Catholic vs Catholic" rule. Below is his reply. His reply: So, there we have it. I feel much better about having this rule now. Per father's suggestion, I'll add a brief explanation of why this rule is in place. [/quote] If the context of this site is evangelization and formation of youth, then so be it. I joined for the chance to discuss intricate theological points in depth for the purpose of continuing (and I might say, rather advanced) formation of my faith. I guess I picked the wrong site for that in hindsight. No harm no foul, right? Your mission is yours to define. I certainly don't expect everybody to have the same mission. I also see other distinct missions as being complementary rather than detrimental, and I think other perspectives should be celebrated and encouraged. If you should prefer, for instance, that these other distinct 'missions' take place apart from your website, then amesome. I would encourage that too, if it were me in your position. Kinda like with a corporation, if it gets rather large, it might decide to get back to basics. It might take certain departments which it would prefer to outsource and separate those from the company itself. Those departments may well continue to exist, doing more or less what they meant to do before, and maybe consulting/providing service to/generally work with the 'parent' company, thought they now exist as separate and distinct corporations. Anyway, amesome stuff. Makes me teh happiez now that I understand the Phatmass mission with greater clarity. Should help to avoid misunderstandings that may come up someday. ETA smilies. Edited February 2, 2011 by Nihil Obstat
Lil Red Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1296682650' post='2207895'] [/quote] sowwy
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296682815' post='2207900'] If the context of this site is evangelization and formation of youth, then so be it. I joined for the chance to discuss intricate theological points in depth for the purpose of continuing (and I might say, rather advanced) formation of my faith. I guess I picked the wrong site for that in hindsight. No harm no foul, right? Your mission is yours to define. I certainly don't expect everybody to have the same mission. I also see other distinct missions as being complementary rather than detrimental, and I think other perspectives should be celebrated and encouraged. If you should prefer, for instance, that these other distinct 'missions' take place apart from your website, then amesome. I would encourage that too, if it were me in your position. Kinda like with a corporation, if it gets rather large, it might decide to get back to basics. It might take certain departments which it would prefer to outsource and separate those from the company itself. Those departments may well continue to exist, doing more or less what they meant to do before, and maybe consulting/providing service to/generally work with the 'parent' company, thought they now exist as separate and distinct corporations. Anyway, amesome stuff. Makes me teh happiez now that I understand the Phatmass mission with greater clarity. Should help to avoid misunderstandings that may come up someday. ETA smilies. [/quote] There have been some pretty good liturgy threads in Transmundane over the years. Good because they were respectful enough to not draw negative attention to themselves. It is a fine line when it comes to certain topics perhaps, but the rule, historically speaking, hasn't negated teh possibility of sweet theological convos, as you no doubt know. Unless the rule is being changed to be super strict. Just saying that in the past there were some rockin' threads that never degenerated into the kind of Catholic vs Catholic debate that might scandalize and/or disedify. Edited February 2, 2011 by Laudate_Dominum
dUSt Posted February 2, 2011 Author Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1296682765' post='2207898'] I wanted to PM you but it's full and I'm too lazy to do email. [/quote] You wanted to PM me a picture of Harrison Ford? You're weird.
Chamomile Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 I think adding the explanation is a great suggestion, as that does give context for the rule. Pretty much everyone I knew before I was Catholic is not Catholic, and I would love to invite them here to show them what Catholics believe, as they will probably give this site more of a chance than reading a book by the Pope or physically going to Mass. But I was honestly hesitant to do that with some of the conflict. Evangelization = good.
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1296683171' post='2207910'] You wanted to PM me a picture of Harrison Ford? You're weird. [/quote] You object to a picture of Harrison Ford!! *shakes head*
Nihil Obstat Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1296683113' post='2207908'] There have been some pretty good liturgy threads in Transmundane over the years. Good because they were respectful enough to not draw negative attention to themselves. It is a fine line when it comes to certain topics perhaps, but the rule, historically speaking, hasn't negated teh possibility of sweet theological convos, as you no doubt know. Unless the rule is being changed to be super strict. Just saying that in the past there were some rockin' threads that never degenerated into the kind of Catholic vs Catholic debate that might scandalize and/or disedify. [/quote] Fo' sho', bro! I guess though, that PM isn't really for those topics after all. Like I said, that's fine. If PM wants to evangelize and target youths, then we'll beaver dam well do that, and we'll do it well. With that in mind, it's all cool if we want to have certain ideas/goals/initiatives that are not within the scope of Phatmass but occur elsewhere.
Laudate_Dominum Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296683293' post='2207915'] Fo' sho', bro! I guess though, that PM isn't really for those topics after all. Like I said, that's fine. If PM wants to evangelize and target youths, then we'll beaver dam well do that, and we'll do it well. With that in mind, it's all cool if we want to have certain ideas/goals/initiatives that are not within the scope of Phatmass but occur elsewhere. [/quote] I refuse to speculate. Harrison Ford is a pilot and has saved people in his helicopter in RL. True story bro.
dUSt Posted February 2, 2011 Author Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1296683113' post='2207908'] There have been some pretty good liturgy threads in Transmundane over the years. Good because they were respectful enough to not draw negative attention to themselves. It is a fine line when it comes to certain topics perhaps, but the rule, historically speaking, hasn't negated teh possibility of sweet theological convos, as you no doubt know. Unless the rule is being changed to be super strict. Just saying that in the past there were some rockin' threads that never degenerated into the kind of Catholic vs Catholic debate that might scandalize and/or disedify. [/quote] Exactly. The rules on this site are strict in their wording, but [b]usually[/b] enforced very leniently. Liturgical debates that remain positive and charitable (notice how the rule specifically says "negative" criticism) do not get edited. Believe it or not, I actually encourage very light moderating. Unfortunately, sometimes things get out of hand. Sometimes you get members who's sole purpose of being here is to troll. Sometimes, after multiple warnings, some members continue to push the boundaries. It is reasonable to assume that the rules are applied more strictly to those types of situations. A driver doesn't lose their license after one speeding violation. The same rules don't, and shouldn't apply to a driver who has multiple speeding violations over and over and over again.
franciscanheart Posted February 2, 2011 Posted February 2, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1296683816' post='2207921'] Believe it or not, I actually encourage very light moderating. [/quote] It's true.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now