Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Message From Fr Konik Regarding A Phatmass Rule


Recommended Posts

Posted

really, how many young people do we actually have on PM now? there is a reason the creepy alien board went the way of the dodo, unfortunately.

half the membership here is old enough to have had several kids by now.

as a noncatholic who is being "evangelized" by being in this board, i cast my vote in for learning about Catholicism, thorns and all, rather than a distilled version.

Posted

i feel as old as that dude on the banner.

Posted

I'm not sure how it has more to do with age than it has to do with how one's faith has matured and will mature through it. When I was 17 I remember I read something about the examples mentioned in the rule - sure, I wanted to know what the heck that was all about. But how effectively did it come across to me as a young adult? Just a bunch of rambling that didn't seem to be in touch with the real world or the things I had yet to discover that made offering my life to Christ relevant and meaningful.

I think that if ample discussion is allowed on matters of preference it [i]does[/i] distract us from deepening our understanding of the essentials simply because our eyes are elsewhere. I'm not saying people shouldn't be told those thorns don't exist, but rather that it's too specialized for us to entertain. A few comments suggest that in the past, when this was tried, the result wasn't much. You can always take it into a private discussion. Therefore I think it's a wise rule and am glad it's in place as well as the way it was now placed under revision. I'm impressed.

Incidentally, I noticed the birthday list today and the members were mostly 20-somethings (noone over 40). I guess that, technically, that's "old enough to have several kids by now." :rolleyes:

TL;DR: Thanks for keeping it real, there's a hurting world out there.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted

I am going to pray for you al tonight okay :amen:

ewtn: "there is no mercy without justice and no justice without mercy"

Boundaries: JC draws a line in the sand"Whomsoever without sin cross this line" if we don't read to much into it,this act of jesus may be a simple example of creating boundaries that no one should go over that mark stones at so to speak because there your boundaries to protect the lives of others and yourself dust,if my discernment is correct than jesus is very pleased with you.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted

oh and as long as the rule has been clearly stated than it is not to be broken,and if somone does accidently/or delibrately accidently the person may get more chances if stumbling accidenlty into breaking the rule but somone whom breaks it delibratly multiple times is going to be given less credance.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

I don't remember ever having a problem with the Cat vs Cat rule. This thread has nothing to do with the grievances and drama from a while back so anyone claiming that I've caved on that is dead wrong. The fact that people are interpreting this in that way demonstrates the unfortunate success of propaganda.

Posted

I invented Father Konik

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1296736821' post='2208163']
the Cat vs Cat rule[/quote]
[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/phatmass/basement-vs-ceiling.jpg[/IMG]

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

We have a new challenger!!

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/phatmass/lightning-cat.jpg[/IMG]

Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1296739099' post='2208172']
[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/phatmass/basement-vs-ceiling.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]


[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1296739501' post='2208174']
We have a new challenger!!

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/phatmass/lightning-cat.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

This is way you need to take on the Church Scholar role again. When someone says something whack - post one of these. Don't have to worry about the Pope's opinions, just the lolcats.

dominicansoul
Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1296709168' post='2208084']
really, how many young people do we actually have on PM now? there is a reason the creepy alien board went the way of the dodo, unfortunately.

half the membership here is old enough to have had several kids by now.

as a noncatholic who is being "evangelized" by being in this board, i cast my vote in for learning about Catholicism, thorns and all, rather than a distilled version.
[/quote]

We have plenty of young'uns on here....and then we have the lurkers who we will probably never know who are young...


for the rest of your story, well, you already have a forum for that, don't you? y'all can get ugly and hash things out there....

dominicansoul
Posted

just to repeat and remind:


[i]With orthodoxy, charity and humility, phatmass will infiltrate the entire
planet earth with Catholic propaganda via innovative multimedia. [/i]


this is how it's been, this hasn't changed, probably never will...

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1296747689' post='2208199']
just to repeat and remind:


[i]With orthodoxy, charity and humility, phatmass will infiltrate the entire
planet earth with Catholic propaganda via innovative multimedia. [/i]


this is how it's been, this hasn't changed, probably never will...
[/quote]

Don't forget:

The Phatmass Pledge

Our mission is to live and defend the faith given to us by Jesus Christ by remaining totally and completely obedient to the teaching authority of His Church. We encourage dialogue between people of all faiths and recognize that we are all striving for holiness.

We feel that it is of primary importance to promote and adore His Real Presence in the Holy Eucharist, develop a habit of prayer, and work for a renewal of reverence in the Sacred Mass, which will help us all in our journey to grow closer to Jesus Christ, who is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

We recognize that we are in a constant battle of good vs evil, and ask for the intercession of our Blessed Mother Mary and all the Saints in Heaven for a removal of pride and an increase in humility, with our ultimate goal being sainthood.

Posted

I thought the pledge was: "Canadians stink and cats are evil."

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1296749668' post='2208208']
I thought the pledge was: "Canadians stink and cats are evil."
[/quote]
No, that's the motto. :crazy:

Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1296709168' post='2208084']
really, how many young people do we actually have on PM now? there is a reason the creepy alien board went the way of the dodo, unfortunately.

half the membership here is old enough to have had several kids by now.

as a noncatholic who is being "evangelized" by being in this board, i cast my vote in for learning about Catholicism, thorns and all, rather than a distilled version.
[/quote]
Shut up.

Posted

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1296749668' post='2208208']
I thought the pledge was: "Canadians stink and cats are evil."
[/quote]
You are mistaken. That is a universal truth discovered by Von Braun.

Posted (edited)

[left]I see nothing essentially wrong with Catholics debating each other. That can be productive. However, I do see it in conflict with dUSt's mission to reach out to youth and to evangelize non-Catholics. I can see how some of the recent "Catholic vs. Catholic" threads might be illuminating to a Catholic that is grounded in his faith, but also can see how a young, not so grounded Catholic and non-Catholic could get really confused. I believe it is this confusion that dUSt wants to avoid/eliminate, and I respectfully see eye to eye with dUSt.[/left]
[left]I think it is a noble mission. However, the grounded Catholic might be turned off by it and see it as an impediment for him to learn. Perhaps a dedicated Phorum could be created with a disclaimer, warning or something to the effect that you are entering a Hardcore Catholic Discussion Phorum. Phatmass encourages you to post sincere and respectful questions to elucidate any confusion or concern.[/left]
[left][quote] "Don't you believe that there is in man a deep so profound as to be hidden even to him in whom it is?" -- Saint Augustine[/quote][/left]

Edited by Papist
Posted

I understand the problems with allowing unrestricted "rad-trad vs. Novus Ordo" debates on here, but I think in order to be fair, if all "right-wing" "traditionalist" dissent is to be banned and censored from Phatmass, then so must "liberal" dissent.

I could be characterized as a "moderate traditionalist" and don't agree with the SSPX and a lot of the "rad-trad" stuff, but it seems anything smacking of "rad-trad" is quickly banned or censored here, where heterodox "liberal Catholic" opinions are allowed to be voiced here without censorship or banning, even if they are, for the most part, not actually condoned by the management.
It seems people are allowed to discuss/debate liberal heterodox viewpoints, but not "rad trad" viewpoints.

None of that effects me directly, but it does seem there is a double standard at play.

Posted

I don't like the cat on cat debate because it rarely produces good fruit. I worry about lurking enquirers who get confused.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...