Nihil Obstat Posted February 6, 2011 Posted February 6, 2011 [quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1297030456' post='2209418'] GUYZ...the YOUNG 'UNS ARE WATCHING!!!! [/quote] [img]http://files.myopera.com/Absinth/albums/19229/thumbs/domo4.jpg_thumb.jpg[/img]
Jaime Posted February 6, 2011 Posted February 6, 2011 [quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1297023727' post='2209398'] I joined when i was 17. I dont really consider that to be very young. that is basically graduated from highschool. Just look at Rexi if you wanted to see my example i was referring to. he doesnt post here much any more, but he was a 16 year old guy. I disagreed with basically everything he believed in, though for his age he seemed pretty book smart. A lot of senior members here would insult him for being young before responding to his posts. It happened a LOT. [i]at all.[/i] If anything i was being more respectful to young members than this rule is. It seems kind of condescending to enforce a "toning down" of discussions so that young peoples "feeble minds" can comprehend things. Audrey seems to be doing just fine, I did good and i dont know many young members here who couldnt handle the level of discussion that happened in certain places. The dig in the last sentence is really unnecessary. [/quote] Rexi started at the ripe old age of 12 as sthomasmore which is too young by the guidelines. He was tagged with "don't rep the pope" (and rightfully so) because of the lack of respect he showed towards Catholicism. Probably part of the reason dUSt doesn't want 12 year olds on the phorum is to protect them from saying stupid things. as far as the "senior members would insult him for being young" that is such a load of bull. Some folks like to make martyrs where there are none.
ExCorde Posted February 6, 2011 Posted February 6, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1297031996' post='2209425'] Go Ste[i]e[/i]lers!! Go Packers! [/quote] I'm starting to love these mods... not that they didn't seem instantly amazing, of course...!
Lil Red Posted February 6, 2011 Posted February 6, 2011 [quote name='ExCorde' timestamp='1297032635' post='2209433'] I'm starting to love these mods... not that they didn't seem instantly amazing, of course...! [/quote] pie works better than compliments
ExCorde Posted February 6, 2011 Posted February 6, 2011 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1297032844' post='2209434']pie works better than compliments [/quote] You wouldn't want me to cook for you and whatever I sent would probably rot by the time it got there. So I hope heaven-pie made from prayer will work too!
Jesus_lol Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 [quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1297032635' post='2209432'] Rexi started at the ripe old age of 12 as sthomasmore which is too young by the guidelines. He was tagged with "don't rep the pope" (and rightfully so) because of the lack of respect he showed towards Catholicism. Probably part of the reason dUSt doesn't want 12 year olds on the phorum is to protect them from saying stupid things. as far as the "senior members would insult him for being young" that is such a load of bull. Some folks like to make martyrs where there are none. [/quote] Isnt half of this thread about making PM more suitable for younger members? if dUSt doesnt want young members who are too young to understand catholicism, then what is the point of getting rid of heated debate to accommodate these young members? It doesnt make sense. If he doesnt want young catholics to join until they are old enough to not say stupid things, well for one he is going to be waiting a really long time(stupidity is not the province of the youthful), for a second why couldnt we then treat the older new members as we would any adult? It is not a load of bull, Jaimie. You insulted him several times over based on his age. Dont even try and say otherwise. Im not martyring Rexi, I cant say I even really like the guy, i certainly dont think the same as him on very many issues, this is my criticizing how some members here treated him in debates. You for one, would not stop treating Rexi like the 12 year old he was when he joined, despite it being many years later, and him having a different outlook of catholicism.
Jaime Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 [quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1297039744' post='2209501'] Isnt half of this thread about making PM more suitable for younger members? if dUSt doesnt want young members who are too young to understand catholicism, then what is the point of getting rid of heated debate to accommodate these young members? It doesnt make sense.[/quote] You know you have been known to show some common sense before. Teens are young people and that's the demographic that dUSt is going for. 12 year old (and younger) aren't teens. The site isn't set up for grade schoolers [quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1297039744' post='2209501'] If he doesnt want young catholics to join until they are old enough to not say stupid things, well for one he is going to be waiting a really long time(stupidity is not the province of the youthful), for a second why couldnt we then treat the older new members as we would any adult? It is not a load of bull, Jaimie. You insulted him several times over based on his age. Dont even try and say otherwise. Im not martyring Rexi, I cant say I even really like the guy, i certainly dont think the same as him on very many issues, this is my criticizing how some members here treated him in debates. You for one, would not stop treating Rexi like the 12 year old he was when he joined, despite it being many years later, and him having a different outlook of catholicism. [/quote] I for one, tried to help out Rexi on more than one occasion way early on privately and publicly. He didn't want it and was rude every single time I tried to help him. As for the assertion that I and others insulted his age before even going near his argument is a skewed version of the truth. if you want to go back and look through the discussions, you'll see a pattern. I would be responding to someone other than rexi. Rexi would jump into the discussion and be a jerk. I would call him out on it and his little pack of friends would jump in. If he had ever ONCE showed any maturity here on this site, there would have been discussion.
MIKolbe Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 Let's try to get back on track... please. thank you.
Jaime Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 [quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1297050632' post='2209558'] Let's try to get back on track... please. thank you. - Mike Tomlin, Half time pep talk [/quote] fixed
Lil Red Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1297050879' post='2209560'] This thread got dumb. [/quote] no kidding.
JenDeMaria Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 What's the point of attempting to represent Catholicism if you can't represent charity, first and foremost? Christ said "This is my new commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." If we can't speak to each other with the love, respect and dignity which we would give to Jesus Christ then we have failed in the most essential aspect of our faith. No intellectual brilliance, no logical precision, no act of vindication, no so-called truth can make up for one wound placed on the person of Christ by our pride.
dUSt Posted February 7, 2011 Author Posted February 7, 2011 [quote name='JenDeMaria' timestamp='1297052589' post='2209569'] What's the point of attempting to represent Catholicism if you can't represent charity, first and foremost? Christ said "This is my new commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." If we can't speak to each other with the love, respect and dignity which we would give to Jesus Christ then we have failed in the most essential aspect of our faith. No intellectual brilliance, no logical precision, no act of vindication, no so-called truth can make up for one wound placed on the person of Christ by our pride. [/quote]
AudreyGrace Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 [quote name='JenDeMaria' timestamp='1297052589' post='2209569'] What's the point of attempting to represent Catholicism if you can't represent charity, first and foremost? Christ said "This is my new commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." If we can't speak to each other with the love, respect and dignity which we would give to Jesus Christ then we have failed in the most essential aspect of our faith. No intellectual brilliance, no logical precision, no act of vindication, no so-called truth can make up for one wound placed on the person of Christ by our pride. [/quote] iawtc [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]
dominicansoul Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 [quote name='JenDeMaria' timestamp='1297052589' post='2209569'] What's the point of attempting to represent Catholicism if you can't represent charity, first and foremost? Christ said "This is my new commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." If we can't speak to each other with the love, respect and dignity which we would give to Jesus Christ then we have failed in the most essential aspect of our faith. No intellectual brilliance, no logical precision, no act of vindication, no so-called truth can make up for one wound placed on the person of Christ by our pride. [/quote] amen, amen, AMEN! dUSt make this newbie a MOD! :D
Roamin Catholic Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 [quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1296780878' post='2208424'] hostile much? the "forum for that" has been PM for a long time(for me, two years before you joined i might add ). I think you werent really on the forum for the couple of months this whole thing was being hashed out. it sounds somewhat reasonable(though it wasnt worded the same way when first introduced) but in application, issues came up. [/quote] Hostile? I don't think so. You mention PM being the "forum for that"? Coming here and stirring the pot is really helping anything? I get it, things happened, and you guys are unhappy about it. Relax, respect everyone, and love god and life! There are too many things that are more important than fighting over stuff that doesn't matter anymore. I've been around just as long as you have, I've seen the site go through its ups and downs. I was also around when all of this went down, I may not have posted, but I was around. I saw what was happening. This site serves a purpose, if you don't agree with it, that is your right. Please respect our right to have this site the way it is. Like I said before; just relax and love God, none of this matters enough for us to lose focus on the common goal; the kingdom of heaven.
ExCorde Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 (edited) [quote name='JenDeMaria' timestamp='1297052589' post='2209569'] What's the point of attempting to represent Catholicism if you can't represent charity, first and foremost?[/quote] I feel like I need to explain, if I was the one prompting such an extensive comment, that I replied with charity in mind, by defining the terms of a person's behavior even as I diffused their attacks (by not "biting" them). I don't know how it sounded to you, but it was nothing more than that and I had already "left" the thread. In that sense I think you were quite "violent" in how you put it yourself. It does hurt and belittle others when you tell them they aren't kind enough, you see? As in, your "so-called truth", of paradoxically scolding others about love, could hurt me as well. I think you should have been more accurate, say what exactly I shouldn't have done, rather than question my faith. But I do understand your concern and appreciate it. Just wanted to remind that I find it necessary to take things seriously. Our Lord was also quite firm when things called for it. In other words, you can't solve problems by [i]just being passive [/i](as if there's nothing you can do or say) and in that sense I was just giving him a nudge, since he was certainly looking for a gorilla fight even after being asked to be quiet by mods. I did not attempt to offend anyone's dignity. All of these exchanges are part of the process of getting points across and learning to understand each other, inevitably you'll take a few blows and I don't think you should avoid them, but rather be personally involved, especially when the wounds are already open. I offer it all up to God and seek no vengeance, that's for sure. Just tryin' to help and make things ok. Pax. Edited February 7, 2011 by ExCorde
dominicansoul Posted February 7, 2011 Posted February 7, 2011 [quote name='ExCorde' timestamp='1297077003' post='2209618'] I feel like I need to explain, if I was the one prompting such an extensive comment, that I replied with charity in mind, by defining the terms of a person's behavior even as I diffused their attacks (by not "biting" them). I don't know how it sounded to you, but it was nothing more than that and I had already "left" the thread. In that sense I think you were quite "violent" in how you put it yourself. It does hurt and belittle others when you tell them they aren't kind enough, you see? As in, your "so-called truth", of paradoxically scolding others about love, could hurt me as well. I think you should have been more accurate, say what exactly I shouldn't have done, rather than question my faith. But I do understand your concern and appreciate it. Just wanted to remind that I find it necessary to take things seriously. Our Lord was also quite firm when things called for it. In other words, you can't solve problems by [i]just being passive [/i](as if there's nothing you can do or say) and in that sense I was just giving him a nudge, since he was certainly looking for a gorilla fight even after being asked to be quiet by mods. I did not attempt to offend anyone's dignity. All of these exchanges are part of the process of getting points across and learning to understand each other, inevitably you'll take a few blows and I don't think you should avoid them, but rather be personally involved, especially when the wounds are already open. I offer it all up to God and seek no vengeance, that's for sure. Just tryin' to help and make things ok. Pax. [/quote] i honestly think she was talking, in general and not about anyone specifically....you can't preach the Gospel if you don't do it with humility and with charity.....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now