An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

I know we've talked about this before but hey! We can talk about things more than once, right? RIGHT. So... if you were choosing your religious name today (or if you had to pick three, a final one to be picked by your superior) what would it be?

I'm not discerning religious life anymore, but I often thought of the name that I would like to have. These are some of my favorites:

Sr. Mary Catherine
Sr. M. Catherine Rose
Sr. M. Catherine Therese

I always wanted Mary in my name, and I love St. Catherine of Siena (Catherine is also my mom's middle name). :)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

I'm still smitten with Sister Mary Anthony of the Infant Jesus (or the Sacred Heart or the Word made Flesh)... but I've been thinking Maria Antonia would be acceptable as well... :P

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

Probably something with Therese :)

Sr. Therese Felicitas
Sr. Mary Therese
Sr. Faustina Therese

But then again, I need to learn about more saints
I love to learn about our role models!

Question: for the orders that pick a title (i.e. of the Bridgroom, of the Lord's Passion, most holy face, etc), where do these come from? Is there a list anywhere?

I love our lady and St. Therese so....

In Honor of our lady

1- Maris Stella
2- Maria Regina
3- Maria Dolorosa

In Honor of St. Therese

1- Marie Therese Francoise de l'ame de Jesus
2- Marie Catherine Therese de l'ame de Jesus (after The little Flower and Catherine de Laboure)
3- Marie Bernadette Therese de l'ame de Jesus (well... you know)
**I love meditating on the Anima Christi and as these are French names so I translated

And I love, love St. Michael so.....

1- Mary Michaela

And Finally

1- Maria de Anima Christi

(The only reason Maria Faustina is not on here is because one of the new novices in my community already has this name)

I know you said three so I am justifying the excess by giving you three categories :) This is the first time I've shared my hopeful religious names before. It is making this even more real!!!

Edited by HopefulBride

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1297782525' post='2212581']

Question: for the orders that pick a title (i.e. of the Bridgroom, of the Lord's Passion, most holy face, etc), where do these come from? Is there a list anywhere?
[/quote]

Good question. I always though the religious selecting the name would select the rest of it, but now I don't know...... I'm curious to learn how it's all figured out.

TeresaBenedicta

Well, my Order has a unique approach to religious names. They are ALL titles of Mary. No saint names. Every title of Mary you can think of, in any language you can think of. Which makes for some pretty unique names, to say the least.

That being said, I think I would chose:

[b]Sr. M. Metera Charitos[/b] (pronounced may-ter-ah car-ee-tos), which is the title for Mary, Mother of Grace in Greek.

I'd like this name because it comes from a theological reflection I think about often. When the angel calls Mary, “full of grace”, the Greek word “kecharitomene” means completely full of grace— in the past, in the future, and in the present. Like, so full of grace that there’s nothing else in there at all. Just grace. And it’s a title— not just something that describes Mary, but is Mary. The angel doesn’t say, “Hail Mary, full of grace” but “Hail, full of grace” as her name. Full of grace.

Okay, so St. Thomas teaches that sanctifying grace in the soul of one person brings more glory to God than all of the created world combined. One soul filled with sanctifying grace brings God more glory than the most beautiful sunset, the most serene lake scene, than all of the created angels… everything. Amazing, no?

Then think about that applied to Mary, who is fullness of grace. Think of how much glory she brings to God!!

Completely blows my mind.

Plus Mary is the Mother of all grace, the giver of grace, "mediatrix of grace," etc.

Catherine Therese

Sr Catherine Therese (Siena, Lisieux)
Sr Catherine Vincent (Siena, Ferrar)
Sr Augustine Therese (Hippo, Lisieux)
Sr Teresa Bonaventure (Avila, Franciscan Doctor of the Church - emphasis on charity over reason)
Sr Agnes Thomas (early virgin martyr, Aquinas)
Sr Joan Frassati (of Arc, Pier-Georgio)

This is the working list at the moment.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1297784579' post='2212591']
Well, my Order has a unique approach to religious names. They are ALL titles of Mary. No saint names. Every title of Mary you can think of, in any language you can think of. Which makes for some pretty unique names, to say the least.

That being said, I think I would chose:

[b]Sr. M. Metera Charitos[/b] (pronounced may-ter-ah car-ee-tos), which is the title for Mary, Mother of Grace in Greek.

I'd like this name because it comes from a theological reflection I think about often. When the angel calls Mary, "full of grace", the Greek word "kecharitomene" means completely full of grace— in the past, in the future, and in the present. Like, so full of grace that there's nothing else in there at all. Just grace. And it's a title— not just something that describes Mary, but is Mary. The angel doesn't say, "Hail Mary, full of grace" but "Hail, full of grace" as her name. Full of grace.

Okay, so St. Thomas teaches that sanctifying grace in the soul of one person brings more glory to God than all of the created world combined. One soul filled with sanctifying grace brings God more glory than the most beautiful sunset, the most serene lake scene, than all of the created angels… everything. Amazing, no?

Then think about that applied to Mary, who is fullness of grace. Think of how much glory she brings to God!!

Completely blows my mind.

Plus Mary is the Mother of all grace, the giver of grace, "mediatrix of grace," etc.
[/quote]

Beautiful TB :) you won't have any trouble picking a top three at all. LOL

Totally Franciscan

Sr. Mary Solanus. I just love Fr. Solanus, the Franciscan priest from Detroit. Check out the video, Priest, Prophet, Porter. It is on EWTN now and then.