An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names

franciscanheart

LaPetiteSoeur

Sr. M. Sacred Heart
Sr. Catherine Evangeline
Sr. Marie-Catherine Laboure

:nunpray:

The first one is the one I'd love to have!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1297855157' post='2212917']

Sr. Marie-Catherine Laboure

:nunpray:

[/quote]

I love this one :)

St. Anne is my confirmation name after the mother of Our Lady since her feast day is my birthday. I think it would be really neat to have a name that includes both Our Lady's name and Anne.

Sr. Mary Hannah
Sr. Mary Anne

Hannah is the Hebrew form of the name, Anne, and it also means "grace". :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1297811275' post='2212724']
I think this will be one of the most difficult aspects for my parents as well. And I'm unsure of how to help with it. I completely understand. It's one of those tough things that... well, just is.

I had a few different nicknames as a child and a few that my parents still call me. In fact, they don't often call me by my first name, but by these nick names. I'd feel comfortable if they continued to do that after, God-willing, I receive my new religious name. If they could use my religious name in public and around the community... I'd hope they could do that.
[/quote]

I consistently use the birth names, not the religious names, of my sister and my cousin. I noticed that most of my family was using the birth name of my cousin at first vows, but had come around by the time she got to final vows.

I will always think of her as the name I knew her as growing up. I know what her religious name is, so if other people use it, I know who they're talking about. But it's not what I call her. Ever.

Same for my friends in religious life. I guess I'm just peculiar that way. If I met you after you got your new name and that's all I know you as, then sure, I'll use the religious name. But if I knew you 'before'...I'll use that in my head all the time, and out loud most of the time.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1297810785' post='2212720']
But her new name would be a gift from GOD. :like:

[/quote]
How is it more of a gift from God than the name that her father and I so prayerfully considered when she was born? Just because a Mother Superior picks it? I doubt anyone puts more thought and prayer into naming someone than the parents.

franciscanheart

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1297882686' post='2213019']
How is it more of a gift from God than the name that her father and I so prayerfully considered when she was born? Just because a Mother Superior picks it? I doubt anyone puts more thought and prayer into naming someone than the parents.
[/quote]
I can't understand your disappointment because I'm not a mother to children considering religious life. I will respond to this as best I can later this evening, though.

The Sisters that I am discerning with use their birth names as their names in religion. Should there already be a Sister with the same name as yourself , your 2nd name is used as an add on, or in the unlikely event that that name is also taken, your Confirmation name is linked to your given name. Therefore I could become either Sister Marie Lynn or Sister Marie Rose.

My Irish grandmother has an unusual name - "Eilish" (pronounced eye-lish) which in Gaelic means "Elizabeth" - I'd love to be Sr. Eilish Marie but wonder if it is too unusual to be permitted. One of the communities I am considering uses Baptismal names, others give new names which I kinda like. My given name is Katherine - probably a lot of those in many communities.

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1297892804' post='2213066']
My Irish grandmother has an unusual name - "Eilish" (pronounced eye-lish) which in Gaelic means "Elizabeth" - [/quote]

That's pretty!

It's a saint, so I'm sure many communities would be fine with it...but not all. It really depends on what they go for.

I mean, most communities won't let you take a name if someone else there has it. Some have preferences for one name over a double name (or vice versa). Some have very specific rules about part of the name being for Mary (for instance). Some may have preferences on whether or not you take the name of a saint who is male or female. So, basically, it's nice to have an idea of the name you'd [i]want[/i]...but at the end of the day, you probably won't be that bent out of shape over not getting it if it doesn't 'fit' your community.

[/quote]

I am not trying to start anything just so you know but I see you are hurt becasue the way you say that has hurt in it you know becasue My mom saids the same thing she is hurt that I want to go off and enter a convent she cant understand but I pray God will help my mom and family come to about what I need to do.

franciscanheart

[/quote]

[indent]Abram became Abraham, Sari became Sarah, Jacob became Israel, Saul became Paul, Simon became Peter. There is a long Biblical history to the name change. When a person had an encounter with God and they were to take on a role in salvation history, often God renamed them. The Annunciation, when the Angel Gabriel calls Mary “Full of Grace,” can be seen as a kind of a “naming.” Even today when a young woman marries, she takes her husband’s name. To mark the beginning of a new life with a new mission and a new intensity, the young religious chooses or is given a new name.

Sr. Clare Matthiass, CFR[/indent]

Should your daughter be called to religious life, she would be giving her life to God; she would be setting out with a new mission and purpose. The name change is just as significant as the habit and vows in some communities. It's a sign first to the woman and then to the world of her vocation and her fiat.