An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are Your Lenten Resolutions?

LaPetiteSoeur

LaPetiteSoeur

Lent is so late this year, I'm beginning to wonder if it will [i]ever [/i]come. I'm pining for Lent. Lord, I must be crazy!

Anyway, I was wondering what all of you are planning on doing for your "Lenten resolutions."

This Lent, I am going to

1. Add Vespers to my Divine Office
2. Try to say at least one decade of the rosary a day
3. Give up ice cream ( a perenial favorite!)
4. re-learn the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

So what about all of you?

:nunpray:

To go on a retreat.

To observe how FFIs live their life... and how they observe Lent too. I have a hint that it is extraordinary.

To attend Mass and to pray SERIOUSLY. :)

Catherine Therese

[u]1. I'm going to try and get to bed at 10.30pm each night.[/u]
No joke, yes, this is a real penance! I'm very much a night owl and enjoy recreation late at night when there's peace and quiet, but it makes me very grumpy the next day and I'm not charitable with people at work. So the aim is to stick to a set bedtime at a reasonable hour, with the intention of being a friendly, more charitable colleague to be around.

[u]2. I'm going to refrain from complaining about my job.[/u]
Believe it or not, this is a big deal for me. I hate my current work situation. (Its not Lent yet, and thats not really a complaint, its a statement of fact.) At any rate, this is my cross for the moment and I need to approach it more as a participation in Christ's suffering and stop whingeing about it to every man and his dog.

[u]3. I'm going to spend the last half hour of my day (10-10.30) with Our Lord[/u] in prayer in addition to my existing prayer schedule (which includes Lauds, Vespers, Compline, Mass, and Rosary when I remember as well as spiritual reading when I can fit it in. ) I haven't made mental prayer enough of a priority in my day. At least I know that I can close my bedroom door at 10pm and be left alone by everyone then. It would be more ideal if there was a window in the morning but at the moment thats not particularly practical in my situation. The idea is to make the time a priority and to ensure that it is undisturbed. This time bracket should do the trick.

OK so its in writing now, so I have to follow through, and I have all of Phatmass to keep me accountable!!

"The fruit of a Lent intensely lived will be a greater and more universal love" - Pope Benedict XVI

TeresaBenedicta

Been thinking and praying about it... and will talk with my spiritual director about it this Friday.

What I do know is this: There will be an aspect of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.

FutureSister2009

Give up Facebook, soda and junk
Attend Stations of the Cross every Friday
Try to go to Adoration every day
Say the Rosary every day

I have no idea what to give up this year. In previous years, I always gave up cokes, but since November 2010, I stopped drinking it, so that can't work. I'm thinking of adding some sort of prayer to my daily schedule, like the rosary or the Divine Mercy Chaplet. I'm even considering the idea of making a visit to the Stations of the Cross on Fridays, this Lent. I did it last year and then went to the Passion Play that the nearby Church put on for Good Friday. It made Lent really special. I'm sure I'll think of something by next Wednesday. :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1298918583' post='2216466']
I'm giving up Vee8 :|
[/quote]

Vee8 is icky... is that much of a sacrifice? ;)

dominicansoul

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1298918782' post='2216468']
Vee8 is icky... is that much of a sacrifice? ;)
[/quote]

yah, i might keep it up even after Lent :P

dominicansoul

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1298920656' post='2216485']
I think for Lent I will give up any and everything thing Dominican related, in fact I wont even wear white.
[/quote]
on behalf of all Dominicans everywhere...thank you.. :blowkiss: