An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are Your Lenten Resolutions?

LaPetiteSoeur

franciscanheart

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1298993905' post='2216767']
A priest recommended reading the book of Sirach each day during Lent. It's about 50 chapters long, and I definitely need some wisdom and common sense, so I think this is something I'll include, amongst other things...
[/quote]
:clapping:

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1298994682' post='2216773']
I LOVE SIRACH!!! :woot:
[/quote]
Same! :smile2: Just finished an informal "study" of Sirach a few weeks ago with a women's group. I love those girls and reading that book with them deepened its meaning to me. :like:

OnlySunshine

I'm thinking of giving up chocolate or candy or both, which will be really hard since I love a good chocolate bar or some chocolate milk. I am also making the resolution to work a little bit more on ChaCha, where I am an expeditor, so I can save up for college. I am really hoping to transfer to Auburn University in the next year or two so I need to work hard for tuition. :)

TeresaBenedicta

Okay! After much prayer and consultation with my spiritual director, I now have a Lenten plan! :clapping:

Prayer: Beginning and ending my day with prayer, specifically the LOTH. Stations of the Cross on Fridays.

Fasting: Bread & water fast on Tuesdays. Internet fast-- no internet before 3PM, no more than two hours a day.

Almsgiving: Serving our at our bi-monthly Community Supper.

Overall Lenten intention: A purification of my desires, even good ones, to only Jesus.

This lent I am going to give up soda (again)
I am also going to try and go to daily mass
And, like another poster, spend the last 30 minutes of my day in prayer

Oh last but not least I am going to try my hardest to visit the Adrian Dominicans. Really wanna go see them.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1299257995' post='2217886']
Okay! After much prayer and consultation with my spiritual director, I now have a Lenten plan! :clapping:

Prayer: Beginning and ending my day with prayer, specifically the LOTH. Stations of the Cross on Fridays.

Fasting: Bread & water fast on Tuesdays. Internet fast-- no internet before 3PM, no more than two hours a day.

Almsgiving: Serving our at our bi-monthly Community Supper.

Overall Lenten intention: A purification of my desires, even good ones, to only Jesus.
[/quote]

I wish I had a spiritual director in times like these. I still cannot narrow down a Lenten resolution and Lent is less than a week away. :(

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299274125' post='2217982']
I wish I had a spiritual director in times like these. I still cannot narrow down a Lenten resolution and Lent is less than a week away. :(
[/quote]

I'm kinda in the same boat... I think I might ask our OFM priest for some suggestions if I see him before Wednesday. I like the idea of doing something prayerful, for fasting, and something with almsgiving.

I have to think and pray about this... There are many good ideas here.

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1299279238' post='2218017']
I'm kinda in the same boat... I think I might ask our OFM priest for some suggestions if I see him before Wednesday. I like the idea of doing something prayerful, for fasting, and something with almsgiving.

I have to think and pray about this... There are many good ideas here.
[/quote]
Also in a similar boat: won't see my SD until after Lent has begun. Praying about it... hmmm...

It occurred to me to fast from "social media". I think I might.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299279394' post='2218020']
Also in a similar boat: won't see my SD until after Lent has begun. Praying about it... hmmm...

It occurred to me to fast from "social media". I think I might.
[/quote]

I know the internet/computer is at the top of my fasting list.

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1299280248' post='2218025']
I know the internet/computer is at the top of my fasting list.
[/quote]
I think I will put the computer down except for during my lunch hour at work, the problem is putting down my PHONE which has all the social media apps. :crazy: Guess I should just delete them, huh? :blush:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299281034' post='2218027']
I think I will put the computer down except for during my lunch hour at work, the problem is putting down my PHONE which has all the social media apps. :crazy: Guess I should just delete them, huh? :blush:
[/quote]

The computer definitely seems to be my weakness, but I cannot abstain from it because I have a job on here working for ChaCha as an expeditor. Right now, I really need money, so I'm going to be on the computer a lot these next few weeks.

The thing I really need to work on is my prayer life. I think I am going to go ahead and do what I thought about before--say the rosary daily and the Stations of the Cross or the Divine Mercy Chaplet on Fridays. Hopefully, this will build a solid foundation for me to continue a good prayer life in the future. ;)

Hey, has anyone read [i]Sermons of St. Francis de Sales for Lent[/i]? I want to, but I've been told it's a bit dry, but maybe just in comparison to his other writings?

I read this in a newsletter I receive, and I think its a good reminder about [i]why[/i] we give up things for Lent. For those who are still struggling to find something to fulfill the disciplines of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, meditating on the purpose of these things might help you. Please read this...

[quote]
"There are a few good reasons why Holy Mother the Church requests Lenten penances from Her members. [b]The first reason is in imitation of Our Savior[/b], who voluntarily suffered for us.We should also freely suffer for love of Him. We should show gratitude and willingness to do our best, suffering for Him Who suffered for us. Along these same lines, [b]we suffer to unite our own light penances with Our Lord's own suffering[/b], as St. Paul states: "I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for His body, which is the Church" (Col. 1:24). [b]Another reason for the penances of Lent is for our sanctification[/b].

...As Lent approaches and as we decide what we are giving up for Lent this year, we should take these thoughts into consideration. If we have the motivation to fulfill our Lenten penances, to unite our sufferings to those of Our Savior and to sanctify our souls, we will persevere much longer in our resolutions. Also, [b]if the sanctification of our souls is our motive, we will try to find a penance or sacrifice that will be appropriate[/b]. Giving up chocolate will not do much for our sanctification - [b]at least not for most people[/b]. However, making a resolution to do spiritual reading or 15 minutes of meditation each day will be a penance that is concrete, time specific, and will help us advance in the spiritual life."

~ Rev. Fr. J. Fryar, FSSP[/quote]

Emphasis added by me... I bolded that part about chocolate because I do think it can help some people to abstain from that (in terms of giving up pleasure - I usually give up some little food/drink treat every Lent!). But as he goes on to say, it would probably be more beneficial to focus our energies on something substantial that will really require some effort beyond just saying "no" to an occasional treat.

It helps me to just write out a simple list like this:

[b]Prayer:
Fasting:
Almsgiving:[/b]

and then write out next to those words what I plan to do for those disciplines. I've been using the season of Septuagesima to sort of test these things out and really think about what I should do - and what I'm actually capable of doing! So my list has been edited a few times, and God does bring things to your mind and heart when you are looking for ways to grow in holiness and offer yourself for others.

Pax!

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1299344142' post='2218246']
I read this in a newsletter I receive, and I think its a good reminder about [i]why[/i] we give up things for Lent. For those who are still struggling to find something to fulfill the disciplines of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, meditating on the purpose of these things might help you. Please read this...

Emphasis added by me... I bolded that part about chocolate because I do think it can help some people to abstain from that (in terms of giving up pleasure - I usually give up some little food/drink treat every Lent!). But as he goes on to say, it would probably be more beneficial to focus our energies on something substantial that will really require some effort beyond just saying "no" to an occasional treat.

It helps me to just write out a simple list like this:

[b]Prayer:
Fasting:
Almsgiving:[/b]

and then write out next to those words what I plan to do for those disciplines. I've been using the season of Septuagesima to sort of test these things out and really think about what I should do - and what I'm actually capable of doing! So my list has been edited a few times, and God does bring things to your mind and heart when you are looking for ways to grow in holiness and offer yourself for others.

Pax!
[/quote]

I really like this thought!

Just got this: [url="http://www.amazon.com/Little-Way-Lent-Meditations-Therese/dp/0867169672"]The Little Way of Lent[/url] and am hoping that it will help guide my lenten observances to be more faithful and fruitful for Our Lord!

I think for Lent I'm going to stop being mean to Therese and DS....

and just ignore them both completely!!!!! :clapping:

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1299350587' post='2218270']
I think for Lent I'm going to stop being mean to Therese and DS....

and just ignore them both completely!!!!! :clapping:
[/quote]

Now, now vee ... I don't think *that's* the right attitude for Lent :P