An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Peoria Getting New Habit

DameAgnes

The Sisters write:

We are still waiting for the material to come in and then it will take some time to make the new habits and veils so it make take some time but this is how it will look.

It will be full length with a belt and the Franciscan Crown and the veil will be longer, about 2 inches below the waist.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/TheAnchoress/newhabit.jpg[/img]

I think it looks so much better than the shorter skirt and veil which looked very dated and transitional. Now they will have their rosaries on their belts again.

This looks more modern and "with it" than the old habits. And it shows that the community is responsive to what they are seeing around them, that younger women are seeking out a more "traditional" look.

I like it a lot. It looks super.

Also, in summer, the sisters won't be forced to keep wearing panty hose, which is the worst!

http://www.franciscansisterspeoria.org/index.htm

Also more info here: http://franciscansisterspeoria.wordpress.com/2011/03/17/a-new-look/

Edited by DameAgnes

OnlySunshine

I really like the new habits. Maybe I'm being materialistic, but I didn't like the older ones at all because I thought they were too form-fitting. I love the ones like the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word and Sisters of Life because, while they are still very feminine, they are modest. I definitely like the longer skirt. I also believe that ALL religious should have a rosary at their side like their sword to fight evil. I especially adore the rosaries that have a Miraculous Medal on them. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

The sister in the picture is Sister Rose Therese who posts on PM once in a while. Hopefully she'll check in here and comment herself. I didn't think the old habit was a problem, but this new one is nice too. I wonder if the nursing habit will be this long--a somewhat shorter skirt would be more practical from an infection control point of view.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1301437310' post='2224419']
I really like the new habits. Maybe I'm being materialistic, but I didn't like the older ones at all because I thought they were too form-fitting. I love the ones like the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word and Sisters of Life because, while they are still very feminine, they are modest. I definitely like the longer skirt. I also believe that ALL religious should have a rosary at their side like their sword to fight evil. I especially adore the rosaries that have a Miraculous Medal on them. :)
[/quote]

I just read over my previous post and I hope I wasn't too rash or impolite. Feelings can sometimes get the better of me, but this is really how I feel about habits. I know, for me, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a form-fitting habit because I am overweight and I can be self-conscious. Please forgive me if this post was a little out of line. :blush: :saint:

Sister Rose Therese

Thanks, I'm glad you like the new habit. I can't wait to get it.

I think that the Sisters, when they shortened the habit in the 60s or 70s, thought it would be more practical. But it seems to me they just exchanged the problems. With the long habit you have to watch that you don't trip going up the stairs. With the short one you have to be really careful about how you bend over or sit. I definitely think the longer one is more modest. I don't think any of our sisters are sorry to see the longer habit come back.

I really do like the idea of having the Franciscan Crown back. One of the Poor Clares up in Rockford is making them for us.

You probably can't tell from the picture but the habit is a very dark brown like our present one. The one in the picture is still made from the old material. We haven't gotten the new fabric yet. They have been working on changing the habit for years now. Who would have thought it would take this long! One of the biggest problems was finding a suitable material in a dark brown.

I had to look up what a Franciscan Crown was (pardon my ignorance), so I wanted to share the info with anybody else who might not know:
[url="http://www.shrinesf.org/rosary.htm"]http://www.shrinesf.org/rosary.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04540a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04540a.htm[/url]

Basically a 7 decade rosary with the "Joys of Mary":
Annunciation
Visitation
Nativity
Adoration of the Magi
Finding the Lord in the Temple
Resurrection
Assumption and Coronation

Please correct me if I'm wrong- info straight of the internet :)

This habit is very becoming. Frankly, I always wondered about the panty hose thing. Several orders that I am discerning with have relatively short habits and it seems that you always have to wear panty hose or tights. I don't know about anyone else, but I can wear a pair about 2 days before they run. I would think that panty hose get very expensive. It seems to me that having a longer habit that allows you to wear knee socks which are much more durable - it looks to me like the Nashies and DSMMEs wear socks - or sandals, which seem even MORE practical in the summer. I wonder why the Nashies, EWs and DSMMEs don't wear sandals in summer.

Kat

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1301513289' post='2224743']
I wonder why the Nashies, EWs and DSMMEs don't wear sandals in summer.
[/quote]

Do you mean SsEWs? Some of the Sisters do wear sandals; it depends on their preference. I wore them year-round when I was there. :) They always wear socks with their sandals, however, because ... well, some people's feet can look rather disgusting. You don't want to distract others by them looking like this--->:blink: at your feet, and it was the Foundress's opinion that it's just more becoming for a religious who is out in the world to cover them up. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1301513289' post='2224743']
This habit is very becoming. Frankly, I always wondered about the panty hose thing. Several orders that I am discerning with have relatively short habits and it seems that you always have to wear panty hose or tights. I don't know about anyone else, but I can wear a pair about 2 days before they run. I would think that panty hose get very expensive. It seems to me that having a longer habit that allows you to wear knee socks which are much more durable - it looks to me like the Nashies and DSMMEs wear socks - or sandals, which seem even MORE practical in the summer. I wonder why the Nashies, EWs and DSMMEs don't wear sandals in summer.

Kat
[/quote]

LOL, it's funny, I was just talking to Cherie the other day about the SsEW and whether or not they wear tights or hose. I was relieved to find out they don't because I am so not graceful when it comes to putting them on. About 2 weeks ago, I was putting on thigh highs and tore a huge run in the side of the right leg. :blink: I also can't stand wearing hose or tights (the regular, full kind) because I have a thing about clothing being tight on my stomach. It seems I inherited from my mother a distaste for tight clothing around my mid-section. I used to cringe anytime I had to wear tights or pantyhose. I'm so glad that it is now acceptable to go bare-legged instead of always having to wear hose. When I actually did wear the pantyhose, I had to buy a few sizes bigger than necessary so it would be looser. :ohno:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1301515010' post='2224752']
Do you mean SsEWs? Some of the Sisters do wear sandals; it depends on their preference. I wore them year-round when I was there. :) They always wear socks with their sandals, however, because ... well, some people's feet can look rather disgusting. You don't want to distract others by them looking like this--->:blink: at your feet, and it was the Foundress's opinion that it's just more becoming for a religious who is out in the world to cover them up. :)
[/quote]

:hehe:

I don't think anyone would want to see my feet in the convent. I have ugly big toes thanks to my dad. We have the exact same shape feet only mine are smaller in size, obviously. I've always hated my big toes. I wish I had my mom's kind of feet. She's got really pretty toes. :)

I don't like my feet either - I have several pairs of nice sandals that have closed fronts so you don't see them. I just ordered these: [url="http://www.peltzshoes.com/item.asp?invnum=RENATA%20MEDNALE"]http://www.peltzshoes.com/item.asp?invnum=RENATA%20MEDNALE[/url]

Sister Rose Therese

I think we'll be able to wear black socks with the new habit. I hope so. The nylons we usually wear are the "every day" cheap kind. They aren't as sheer and they aren't as delicate. You can get a box of four for about 4-5 dollars and they usually last me a good six months. When we get a run, we use a bit of clear nali polish to stop it. As long as it is above or below "see" level everything is ok.
I'm really hoping we'll be able to wear socks. Shoes with nylons, well lets just say, nylons don't absorb moisture. I image there will be many sisters who will continue to wear hose though. There are some benefits to it that I won't go into here.