An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Peoria Getting New Habit

DameAgnes

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1301961801' post='2225984']
Yeah, I know what you mean. I tried finding a way to Terre Haute when I was discerning the Carmelites, but was never able to find transportation directly there, and I was certainly not going to drive myself, either. Detroit (which is the closest airport to Ann Arbor), I think, is a very popular destination and the seats are in demand, so that may be why the cost is so high. Have you looked on other airlines? Some airlines like American Airlines, US Airways, or United can be very expensive. If I were you, I would check AirTran, Delta, or Southwest Airlines for a good price. If you reserve a seat well enough in advance, you can get very good deals. Southwest tends to be the cheapest fare. I usually fly AirTran (only airline I've used so far), but on my trip to Birmingham, I plan to fly with Southwest because AirTran's fare was about $230, and Southwest was $170. That's a big difference to someone like me who has very little money. Fortunately, AirTran and Southwest will be merging soon, so more airports will be used by Southwest. :)
[/quote]

What about the bus? Greyhound? It may not be your first choice, but it's a lot cheaper.

Also is it feasible to do a nun run? the EW's are popular and there's a lot of interest in them. Combining expenses and driving.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1301962002' post='2225985']
What about the bus? Greyhound? It may not be your first choice, but it's a lot cheaper.

Also is it feasible to do a nun run? the EW's are popular and there's a lot of interest in them. Combining expenses and driving.
[/quote]

Greyhound, believe it or not, is actually more expensive than going by airplane (not to mention, it is a lot faster). A nun run, to me, is not feasible because I do not know anyone here who is discerning. Plus, I really want to spend a good chunk of time with the Sisters to properly discern with them and not get distracted. Thanks for the ideas though! :)

MargaretTeresa

I was invited to a nun run in Evansville Indiana. I just don't have the time right now. At least, from home home (as opposed to school home), it's a 4 hr drive to TerreHaute. That's abt 7/8 of a tank of gas for me. Therefore, if I can ever open up to my parents abt it, it's a lot cheaper. But it's a 7 hr drive from school home. Gah

SoonerCatholic

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1301958537' post='2225971']
I looked into train to visit the Terre Haute Carmelites. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a train station right there. But I remember looking at tickets to Ann Arbor just for wing dings and it was like 150$ one way! I couldn't believe it!
[/quote]

So interested to see that someone else is looking into them. I hope to get accepted to their Monastic retreat weekend in June. Fortunately for me it's only an hours drive. However, the nearest airport that I can think of is in Indianapolis and there is an Amtrak station in Effingham, Il. about an hour away. So, I guess I'm not being helpful, but good luck finding a way to visit.

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='reminiscere' timestamp='1301877625' post='2225744']
Sister, why don't you restore the Franciscan cord instead of wearing a secular belt?

[/quote]

I don't know what you mean by "secular belt". Although the cord is more Franciscan, belts have been a part of religious habits for a very long time. From what I heard, they tried the cord, but it just didn't look right with the habit the way it was.
It might also have been the practicality of it.

When it comes right down to it though, the habit is not a personal choice. You wear the habit of the community. This is how our Superior and her council has decided it will be. Obedience is much more important than what kind of belt I wear.

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' timestamp='1301973964' post='2226046']
I don't know what you mean by "secular belt". Although the cord is more Franciscan, belts have been a part of religious habits for a very long time. From what I heard, they tried the cord, but it just didn't look right with the habit the way it was.
It might also have been the practicality of it.

When it comes right down to it though, the habit is not a personal choice. You wear the habit of the community. This is how our Superior and her council has decided it will be. Obedience is much more important than what kind of belt I wear.
[/quote]

Very true, Sister!

I'd also like to mention that the belt isn't [i]necessarily [/i]"more Franciscan," because as the story goes, St. Francis wore the belt, and St. Dominic wore the cord, until they met and exchanged with each other as a sign of their brotherly friendship. :) Whether or not that story is true, it IS true that many religious wear the belt as part of their holy habit, and I don't think it's appropriate to refer to it as "secular."

OnlySunshine

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1302012852' post='2226099']
Very true, Sister!

I'd also like to mention that the belt isn't [i]necessarily [/i]"more Franciscan," because as the story goes, [b]St. Francis wore the belt, and St. Dominic wore the cord, until they met and exchanged with each other as a sign of their brotherly friendship[/b]. :) Whether or not that story is true, it IS true that many religious wear the belt as part of their holy habit, and I don't think it's appropriate to refer to it as "secular."
[/quote]

That would be amesome if it was true! :clapping:

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1301967187' post='2226012']
So interested to see that someone else is looking into them. I hope to get accepted to their Monastic retreat weekend in June. Fortunately for me it's only an hours drive. However, the nearest airport that I can think of is in Indianapolis and there is an Amtrak station in Effingham, Il. about an hour away. So, I guess I'm not being helpful, but good luck finding a way to visit.

[/quote]

Hopefully when I get out of college I will have some time to visit...Maybe I'll end up that way for work (because I'll have lovely loans to pay off :x ). I keep meaning to get in touch with the Carmelites a couple hours south of me...but I just haven't had the time. :(

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1302012852' post='2226099']
Very true, Sister!

I'd also like to mention that the belt isn't [i]necessarily [/i]"more Franciscan," because as the story goes, St. Francis wore the belt, and St. Dominic wore the cord, until they met and exchanged with each other as a sign of their brotherly friendship. :) Whether or not that story is true, it IS true that many religious wear the belt as part of their holy habit, and I don't think it's appropriate to refer to it as "secular."
[/quote]

Well I know that with many of these stories there are several rather different versions, but here is what I have heard before.

"He heard that Christ's disciples were supposed to possess neither gold, nor silver, nor money; were to have neither bread nor staff; were to have neither shoes nor two tunics; but were to preach the kingdom of God and penance. When the priest had finished, Francis, rejoicing in the spirit of God, said, "This is what I want! This is what I'm looking for! This is what I want to do from the bottom of my heart!" Thus the holy father, overflowing with joy, hurried to fulfill those healing words, nor did he suffer any delay in carrying out what he had heard. He took off his shoes, tossed away his staff, was satisfied with a single tunic, and exchanged his leather belt for a cord. " from [url="http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/stfran-lives.html"]http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/stfran-lives.html[/url]

[color="#0000ff"][size="2"]"Dominic asked Francis for his cord and after much insistence Francis gave it to Dominic. Francis did not like to be honored in any way. Dominic wore the cord under his habit for the rest of his life."from [/size][url="http://www.saintfrancisofassisibiography.com/"][size="2"]http://www.saintfrancisofassisibiography.com/[/size][/url][/color]

• 3 months later...

Looks like they've decided to add the Franciscan cord and the scapular, now, too.

http://franciscansisterspeoria.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/an-new-look-in-the-making/

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='DameAgnes' timestamp='1310960863' post='2269189']
Looks like they've decided to add the Franciscan cord and the scapular, now, too.

[url="http://franciscansisterspeoria.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/an-new-look-in-the-making/"]http://franciscansis...-in-the-making/[/url]
[/quote]

:like:

I wonder who made the decision. The notice says that the sisters were informed at a community forum. It doesn't sound as if it was a group decision.

I suspect that the new habit is a lot heavier and hotter. Not only the tunic, but also the veil is significantly longer.

It seems to me that the VS should be subtitled "all about women's religious habits".

[quote name='jkaands' timestamp='1311016455' post='2269565']
I wonder who made the decision. The notice says that the sisters were informed at a community forum. It doesn't sound as if it was a group decision.

I suspect that the new habit is a lot heavier and hotter. Not only the tunic, but also the veil is significantly longer.

It seems to me that the VS should be subtitled "all about women's religious habits".
[/quote]

According to their blog, it talks about "getting back to the roots of their community". I'm sure it was prayed about and considered by the superiors of the community.

And yes, habits are a topic of discussion in lots of threads here on VS, but I encourage you to look at other questions discussing spiritual lives while discerning, upcoming retreats, helping each other to start praying the Liturgy of the Hours, etc.

Sometimes the external part of Religious life- wearing a habit- is striking, and that's why we have the picture threads :) But what it seems you're implying (forgive me if I'm wrong) is right too: we can all do more to focus on preparing our hearts/the internal aspects of Religious Life rather than what the habit looks like.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1311017238' post='2269572']
According to their blog, it talks about "getting back to the roots of their community". I'm sure it was prayed about and considered by the superiors of the community.

And yes, habits are a topic of discussion in lots of threads here on VS, but I encourage you to look at other questions discussing spiritual lives while discerning, upcoming retreats, helping each other to start praying the Liturgy of the Hours, etc.

Sometimes the external part of Religious life- wearing a habit- is striking, and that's why we have the picture threads :) But what it seems you're implying (forgive me if I'm wrong) is right too: we can all do more to focus on preparing our hearts/the internal aspects of Religious Life rather than what the habit looks like.
[/quote]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]

VS has helped me so much, especially in deepening my prayer life (I feel guilty if I skip prayers, so it helps!) and learning about my vocation and discovering God's will. It's nice not to be the only discerner (or to be open about my discernment!)

Little Flower

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1311017469' post='2269576']
It's nice not to be the only discerner (or to be open about my discernment!)
[/quote]

YES!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS PART ABOUT PHATMASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when im on phatmass i dont feel like im the only person in the world whos crazy enough to want to be a nun lol