An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Peoria Getting New Habit

DameAgnes

MargaretTeresa

I really like the new habits! Much more traditional...While I can understand the FSP having a shorter skirt or any sisters with a very active apostolate, these are much better and modest!

Pax and God bless.

LaPetiteSoeur

I love this order ( I discovered them a few weeks ago!) and their habit is [i]wonderful[/i]. They also wear sandals, at least in the summer. I'm thinking about contacting them...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/karencoleman/4667470857/in/set-72157624075027495"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/karencoleman/4667470857/in/set-72157624075027495[/url]
This photo has a picture of the habit with sandals.

dominicansoul

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1301513289' post='2224743']
I wonder why the Nashies, EWs and DSMMEs don't wear sandals in summer.

Kat
[/quote]

Because Papa St. Dominic wore SAS, as you can clearly see in this portrait:

[img]http://www.stdominic.org.uk/stdominic.jpg[/img]

SAS peeking out from under his habit.....

[size="1"]edited cos, i forgot to paste the pic...i'm getting old![/size]

Edited by dominicansoul

Totally Franciscan

I am amazed how much this new habit of the Peoria sisters looks like the Joliet Franciscans before they went to street clothes. Even the veil looks the same with an added bit of height at the top. Beautiful habit!

reminiscere

Sister, why don't you restore the Franciscan cord instead of wearing a secular belt?

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' timestamp='1301492902' post='2224667']
Thanks, I'm glad you like the new habit. I can't wait to get it.

I think that the Sisters, when they shortened the habit in the 60s or 70s, thought it would be more practical. But it seems to me they just exchanged the problems. With the long habit you have to watch that you don't trip going up the stairs. With the short one you have to be really careful about how you bend over or sit. I definitely think the longer one is more modest. I don't think any of our sisters are sorry to see the longer habit come back.

I really do like the idea of having the Franciscan Crown back. One of the Poor Clares up in Rockford is making them for us.

You probably can't tell from the picture but the habit is a very dark brown like our present one. The one in the picture is still made from the old material. We haven't gotten the new fabric yet. They have been working on changing the habit for years now. Who would have thought it would take this long! One of the biggest problems was finding a suitable material in a dark brown.
[/quote]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1301888623' post='2225795']
Ok, I know who the Nashies and the DSMME are, but who are the EWs? And are they ew?
[/quote]

The EWs are short for the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word in Bimingham, AL--the order I am discerning with. They are totally not ew! :hehe:

MargaretTeresa

Okay! I didn't realize there were Dominicans in Birmingham I don't think...I'm like three hours from there. Who would have thunk it?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' timestamp='1301492902' post='2224667']
I really do like the idea of having the Franciscan Crown back. One of the Poor Clares up in Rockford is making them for us.
[/quote]

Really? That's a[b]w[/b]esome. They make such wonderful holy things. I wonder which Sister is in charge of this project...

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1301919410' post='2225827']
Okay! I didn't realize there were Dominicans in Birmingham I don't think...I'm like three hours from there. Who would have thunk it?
[/quote]

They were created by a Nashville Dominican Sister, Mother Mary Gabriel. They are both Dominican and Franciscan and follow the rule of St. Francis. I'm hoping to go on retreat with them in a few months if I can scrape together enough money. I have been in contact with them for only a few weeks, but I really want to meet them. I've been thinking about them off and on for about 2 years and never had the courage to contact them until now. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1301934224' post='2225874']
Oh cool! I wish you luck! How far of a journey is it for you to Birmingham?
[/quote]

It's about half a day's drive to the convent if I choose to go by car, but since my car doesn't really do well going long distances, I am planning to take a plane trip to the International Airport located in Birmingham. I am unsure of whether not I will have to pay for the retreat since I will be coming on one of their scheduled retreats (I keep meaning to ask Sr. Louise that) but the plane ride is about $170 round-trip. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

MargaretTeresa

I looked into train to visit the Terre Haute Carmelites. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a train station right there. But I remember looking at tickets to Ann Arbor just for wing dings and it was like 150$ one way! I couldn't believe it!

MargaretTeresa

I looked into train to visit the Terre Haute Carmelites. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a train station right there. But I remember looking at tickets to Ann Arbor just for wing dings and it was like 150$ one way! I couldn't believe it!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1301958537' post='2225971']
[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean. I tried finding a way to Terre Haute when I was discerning the Carmelites, but was never able to find transportation directly there, and I was certainly not going to drive myself, either. Detroit (which is the closest airport to Ann Arbor), I think, is a very popular destination and the seats are in demand, so that may be why the cost is so high. Have you looked on other airlines? Some airlines like American Airlines, US Airways, or United can be very expensive. If I were you, I would check AirTran, Delta, or Southwest Airlines for a good price. If you reserve a seat well enough in advance, you can get very good deals. Southwest tends to be the cheapest fare. I usually fly AirTran (only airline I've used so far), but on my trip to Birmingham, I plan to fly with Southwest because AirTran's fare was about $230, and Southwest was $170. That's a big difference to someone like me who has very little money. Fortunately, AirTran and Southwest will be merging soon, so more airports will be used by Southwest. :)