An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's The Most Beautiful Habit You've Ever Seen?

FutureSister2009

Sister Marie knows this, I used to be one of those "FULL HABIT OR YOU ARE NOT A RELIGIOUS" types. Now, I have stumbled upon so many sisters and communities without habits that are ORTHODOX and FAITHFUL. Dont judge a religious by her cover.

Like vee said. You are judged by your heart, not by your habit.

But I really love the Carmelite habit. :love:

Lil'Monster

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1333834700' post='2414107']

But I really love the Carmelite habit. :love:
[/quote]

I can tell............

I'm open to other habits and non-habits though! I am actually a bit curious about Regnum Christi's consecrated women... But I am pretty sure I am called to Laffy Carm... THEY EAT CRAWFISH SOMETIMES!!! Very, very rarely... Only when it's donated. So when I enter, DONATE 20 LBS OF CRAWFISH!!! :love:

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1333835020' post='2414112']
I'm open to other habits and non-habits though! I am actually a bit curious about Regnum Christi's consecrated women... But I am pretty sure I am called to Laffy Carm... THEY EAT CRAWFISH SOMETIMES!!! Very, very rarely... Only when it's donated. So when I enter, DONATE 20 LBS OF CRAWFISH!!! :love:
[/quote]
OMW!!! Can I enter too??? Crawfish is my favorite!

or ya'll can just donate crawfish to whatever community I enter...

The 171, I will donate crawfish and bring it personally. :) If I can afford it, that is.
Most likely you will just get oranges.

And the prettiest habit, if I haven't said so already, is that of the SsEWs:

http://www.sisterservants.org/content/whatsNew.php

OnlySunshine

The most beautiful I've ever seen up to this point is the religious order with whom I am discerning. The traditional habit includes a belted habit with a rosary and a veil with a toque. They have Sisters in tropical climates with shorter, thinner habits and veils. :)

(FYI, I am keeping this order private right now because my discernment is much more private than before)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

@Tally Marx: collectively 20 lbs. not 20 per person! That would be RIDICULOUS! Lol!!! And oranges are delicious! We need fruits. When you enter, you'll be getting a BOAT-LOAD!!! Fruits... Yum

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1302220706' post='2226778']
I mean, who's going to wear shoes in Heaven?

So that begs the question - since Dominicans already have the white robe thing down for Heaven, why do they wear shoes? And not sandals, usually... [i]shoes[/i]. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Simple.... St. Dominic wore boots... often to bed! He didn't wear them when walking between towns for penance but always wore them when he was in the town.

Dominicans aren't the discalced type! :)

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1333858269' post='2414291']
Simple.... St. Dominic wore boots... often to bed! He didn't wear them when walking between towns for penance but always wore them when he was in the town.

Dominicans aren't the discalced type! :)
[/quote]

I love being discalced. :love:

I am shoeless right now. Shoes, BEGH. Who needs them

PhuturePriest

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1302029309' post='2226167']
I'm taking this question from the Catholic Answers Forum even though I didn't start it. Does anyone have a favorite habit that they've seen? I've got several. First and foremost, the Franciscan Sisters Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and of Mary (Of course) :clapping: Next would be the Carmelites, Followed by the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters. Pink is my favorite color and I never knew of an Order with a pink habit until I began discerning. If I felt like I was called to a cloistered Order, I'd join them or the Carmelites. And my other favorite is The Missionaries of Charity.

Adding another question. What Order did St. Bernadette join and does it still exist? I feel like I should know this but I don't.
[/quote]

Well, this is a hard question. As a Franciscan at heart, I love simplicity. Thus, one of my favorite habits hands-down is the habit of the Franciscan Friars Minor:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Franciscan+Brothers+Minor&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=581&tbm=isch&tbnid=fhZEmeeR7k8yUM:&imgrefurl=http://www.todayscatholicnews.org/2011/05/franciscan-brothers-minor-inaugural-novice-class-to-make-temporary-profession-of-vows-in-restored-church/&docid=1f5YHwC_ioQG2M&imgurl=http://www.todayscatholicnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/18friarvows0062.jpg&w=3888&h=2592&ei=-zCBT-b7B-rO2AXHp9HpBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=462&vpy=144&dur=386&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=132&ty=111&sig=110648212192169698244&page=1&tbnh=112&tbnw=150&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:73

However, having the deep love of Saint Dominic that Saint Francis himself had, I also love the Dominican habit. Though more elaborate than the one to two-piece habit of the Franciscans it is still quite simple and its beauty shows through its simplicity. To be clear, I am speaking about the habit the Dominican Friars wear. I'm not sure about the Dominican Sisters yet. I haven't seen it too many times to have an opinion on it.

Others come to mind, of course, but these are the main ones. As for female habits, I have always loved Saint Therese of Lisieux, and I quite like the Carmelite Nun habit.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Lil'Monster

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1333866604' post='2414336']

I am shoeless right now. Shoes, BEGH. Who needs them
[/quote]

I need them......seriously......I cannot go walking in the barn without wearing any shoes.......cuz I might step on something that is a lil juicy......or worse than that..... :|

Carmelshrimp

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1333867377' post='2414341']
YES!! YEA!! GO CARMEL GO!!
[/quote]
Always Carmel - but then I'm (ever so slightly) biased :smile2:

Kayte Postle

I really love the DSMME/ND and Sisters of Life habit. They are just so beautiful, feminine, and I would be twirling around in circles all day in those things.