An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kinda Freaking Out Right Now...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

Wow... this whole process, the whole journey to the cloister is really starting to scare me a bit! I'm not sure exactly what part has set this off, but I received a mailing today with the list of things I need & can bring (which is surprisingly small), along with some medical details for my mother, parlor & correspondence regulations for postulants, and the free will document for one asking entrance to the community. Maybe it's all the big words and documents that are spooking me a bit. But I am still very excited for all this to be happening so soon!

Perhaps still having to do taxes, and the MEFV paperwork, and all this is just stressing me out a bit. Actually, I feel a little better to have let this out here... thanks :blush:

I'm so happy for you!

And just relax! Obviously I have never been as close to entering as you are, but it seems like it might be common to get "cold feet" about religious life, just like some people freak out on their wedding day :) Just remember, you have been praying and "dating" Jesus for a long time... and He has called you- He's not going to leave you just as you are about to say your first 'yes' to Him!

And taxes make everybody scared/frustrated :)

:amen: prayers!

FutureSister2009

Keep praying! I guess reality is sinking in! You're quite lucky. I wish I was as close to entrance as you are. I want to enter right now.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Piccoli Fiori JMJ' timestamp='1302636544' post='2227849']
+JMJ

Wow... this whole process, the whole journey to the cloister is really starting to scare me a bit! I'm not sure exactly what part has set this off, but I received a mailing today with the list of things I need & can bring (which is surprisingly small), along with some medical details for my mother, parlor & correspondence regulations for postulants, and the free will document for one asking entrance to the community. Maybe it's all the big words and documents that are spooking me a bit. But I am still very excited for all this to be happening so soon!

Perhaps still having to do taxes, and the MEFV paperwork, and all this is just stressing me out a bit. Actually, I feel a little better to have let this out here... thanks :blush:
[/quote]

Heck, you're only making a decision that is going to change your whole life. To me, if you weren't even a little scared (even if you were also very excited at the same time), I'd wonder if you really understood the importance of what you were doing. Even if you're following God's will for you, this is still a BIG deal. Scared is a normal--and I think healthy--emotion under the circumstances.

Last year, when JTheresa entered the Franciscans, there was a picture on the Internet of the welcoming ceremony for the new postulants, and all the young women looked happy. But, there was another picture of postulants who had just been clothed as novices and THOSE young women were BEAMING from ear to ear. The new postulants were very happy to be there, but, understandably, their smiles looked a little scared, too (at least to me). The experience was much too new to feel entirely comfortable, even if it also felt "right." I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of JTheresa when she is clothed this summer(?) as a novice, and compare the two smiles. I fully expect she will also be beaming from ear to ear.

MargaretTeresa

I didn't realize you are so close to entering! Where/when do you enter? (The when is only if you know, of course. :D )

regina_coeli

Thoughtful life changes come with all kinds of stress. Don't let it get in the way of your "yes". He will show you His way as you go. Prayers! :angel:

Don't fret, little flower!

Compared to the days when St. Clare did this, there's way more "official" stuff to be done now. But remember what she faced when she entered and how courageously she followed Jesus in spite of outside pressure to forget about such a silly idea. She focused on the love of Her Beloved and His desire for her to be His Bride...

Paperwork makes me nervous and frustrated, too. I'd rather face the mad relatives trying to drag me away from the convent than lists and forms and such. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/brickwall.gif[/img]

Go to Adoration if you can to remember what all this is for :flowers: And offer up the feelings of fear, frustration, whatever you're feeling...

Deep breaths...and get the taxes out of the way first ;). Once those are done, it'll be easier to focus on the rest of everything. And as for the short list....yes, it does mean leaving a lot of things behind. But you probably won't miss most of them at all!

MargaretTeresa

I am filled with holy jealousy, btw. I just wanna graduate and get a job and pay off debt and figure out what God's telling me!!! :crazy:

Sister Marie

Let yourself freak out a little bit. It won't hurt! The more you try to hold it in and together the harder it is. Sometimes it's just as well to let the freak out come out so that Jesus can come on into it! You don't have to keep it all together. He just wants to be part of whatever the "it" is going on inside. It is a good opportunity to grow closer together. Take it as part of the exciting new journey!

Prayers!

Sister Marie

LaPetiteSoeur

Drink some tea. Say a Rosary.

It's all part of God's plan! I guess it's sort of how people before they get married get a bit freaked out. But you're going to be a bride of Christ! We're all here rooting for you and praying for you!

:nun3:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

Thanks so much you guys :) It made me feel better to just read the Novice Mistress' letter without looking through all the paperwork that accompanied it. lol

I have certainly been making sure to spend time with Jesus. He always knows how to calm me down when I get anxious like this. And working and doing everything else certainly takes your mind off all the stuff you have to do, lol. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing yet...

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1302638698' post='2227872']
I didn't realize you are so close to entering! Where/when do you enter? (The when is only if you know, of course. :D )
[/quote]
I'm looking at the possibility of Pentecost :)

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1302641162' post='2227893']
:buddies:
[/quote]
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/buddies2.gif[/img] You're a pretty cool cucumber...

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1302718231' post='2228233']
Would you mind sharing what you can bring with you? I'm very interested!
[/quote]
Well aside from undergarments, I need four different kinds of footwear (slippers, tennis shoes, shoes for garden work, winter boots), A lightweight jacket/sweatshirt (no hoodies), a winter jacket (but not a coat), and a pair of sweatpants (for modesty while working).

They are specific about which tolietries to bring, like a comb/brush, toothbrush & paste, and some deodorant. I need 6 months worth of feminine products (they do specifiy no tampons however) as well.

I am allowed to bring a Bible and 2 or 3 spiritual books if I read a lot, a musical instrument (if I still played it maybe I would bring my flute, lol), and some writing materials, but not to buy any because they have an abundance. I can also bring a Rosary, Chaplet, relics, as well as any scapulars or medals I wear.

Specifically mentioned as no-nos were hair dryers, electric razors (but disposable is okay), clocks, watches, jewelry, cell phones, ipods, laptops, statues, and extra books (lol... If I could I might bring along an extensive library...).

HopefulBride

[quote name='Piccoli Fiori JMJ' timestamp='1302785444' post='2228618']
+JMJ

Thanks so much you guys :) It made me feel better to just read the Novice Mistress' letter without looking through all the paperwork that accompanied it. lol

I have certainly been making sure to spend time with Jesus. He always knows how to calm me down when I get anxious like this. And working and doing everything else certainly takes your mind off all the stuff you have to do, lol. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing yet...

I'm looking at the possibility of Pentecost :)

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/buddies2.gif[/img] You're a pretty cool cucumber...

Well aside from undergarments, I need four different kinds of footwear (slippers, tennis shoes, shoes for garden work, winter boots), A lightweight jacket/sweatshirt (no hoodies), a winter jacket (but not a coat), and a pair of sweatpants (for modesty while working).

They are specific about which tolietries to bring, like a comb/brush, toothbrush & paste, and some deodorant. I need 6 months worth of feminine products (they do specifiy no tampons however) as well.

I am allowed to bring a Bible and 2 or 3 spiritual books if I read a lot, a musical instrument (if I still played it maybe I would bring my flute, lol), and some writing materials, but not to buy any because they have an abundance. I can also bring a Rosary, Chaplet, relics, as well as any scapulars or medals I wear.

Specifically mentioned as no-nos were hair dryers, electric razors (but disposable is okay), clocks, watches, jewelry, cell phones, ipods, laptops, statues, and extra books (lol... If I could I might bring along an extensive library...).
[/quote]

This is so exciting. Congratulations on your upcoming entrance.

Oh and about the freak out thing, just turn it over to Him; I am quite sure He will understand :) It is understandable though as this is a very big step towards living out your life for Him.

Prayers for you!
Hopeful

[b]ETA[/b]: I am curious though, would you be able to access email and stuff like that? One of my friends entered Carmel a couple of years ago and was allowed to keep her email address to email friends and family every now and then.

Edited by HopefulBride