An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kinda Freaking Out Right Now...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='Piccoli Fiori JMJ' timestamp='1302785444' post='2228618']
+JMJ

Well aside from undergarments, I need four different kinds of footwear (slippers, tennis shoes, shoes for garden work, winter boots), A lightweight jacket/sweatshirt (no hoodies), a winter jacket (but not a coat), and a pair of sweatpants (for modesty while working).

They are specific about which tolietries to bring, like a comb/brush, toothbrush & paste, and some deodorant. I need 6 months worth of feminine products (they do specifiy no tampons however) as well.

I am allowed to bring a Bible and 2 or 3 spiritual books if I read a lot, a musical instrument (if I still played it maybe I would bring my flute, lol), and some writing materials, but not to buy any because they have an abundance. I can also bring a Rosary, Chaplet, relics, as well as any scapulars or medals I wear.

Specifically mentioned as no-nos were hair dryers, electric razors (but disposable is okay), clocks, watches, jewelry, cell phones, ipods, laptops, statues, and extra books (lol... If I could I might bring along an extensive library...).
[/quote]

This sounds about like my kind of list! I prefer to only have a little bit of stuff, and would prefer to live out of a suitcase if it was possible, haha. I would bring my guitar...I could learn to play it finally. I don't thing my French horn would be very conductive for worship music, haha.

And I agree on the books thing...I have run out of space in my apartment for books and have two more bookshelves worth at home. I suppose, if I do enter somewhere, I could sell them and donate the funds to either wherever I would go or to my parish. Or donate the books to the library.

This is so cool! I so super excited for you!!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]

Pax and God bless!

IgnatiusofLoyola

You brought up something that I've wondered about, but was afraid to ask.

Why no tampons? Is it a cost issue or something else?

From the very beginning I only used tampons, and I can honestly say that in all those years, using tampons never once brought on any thoughts that were impure or inappropriate. But, maybe it's different for others.

I was surprised to read no watch--but then I realized that it's a cloistered community and you will always be within the sound of the bells. I was VERY surprised to read no clocks were allowed. I had expected that a nun would need a clock in her cell, if only so she had an alarm if she had a vigil or adoration that required her to wake in the middle of the night when others were still asleep. But, maybe they provide a clock.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1302800556' post='2228662']

From the very beginning I only used tampons, and I can honestly say that in all those years, using tampons never once brought on any thoughts that were impure or inappropriate. But, maybe it's different for others.

I was surprised to read no watch--but then I realized that it's a cloistered community and you will always be within the sound of the bells. I was VERY surprised to read no clocks were allowed. I had expected that a nun would need a clock in her cell, if only so she had an alarm if she had a vigil or adoration that required her to wake in the middle of the night when others were still asleep. But, maybe they provide a clock.
[/quote]

The community I am discerning with doesn't like the use of tampons because of the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. I have also heard that some have the old thought that using tampons is impure. Fortunately, the community I am discerning with allows tampons if the woman has a medical need such as heavy flow. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1302800556' post='2228662']

[b]
I was surprised to read no watch--but then I realized that it's a cloistered community and you will always be within the sound of the bells. I was VERY surprised to read no clocks were allowed. I had expected that a nun would need a clock in her cell, if only so she had an alarm if she had a vigil or adoration that required her to wake in the middle of the night when others were still asleep. But, maybe they provide a clock.[/b]
[/quote]

I'm not sure how it works in the PCC communities, but in Carmelite communities, they use a device called a clapper or clacker that a nun sounds as she goes past each cell. The nuns arise to the words, “Praised be Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, His Mother. Come to prayer, Sisters, come to praise the Lord!” This is what the clapper looks like:

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HaGezRyV2HM/TXEmvrN4HXI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/nxW_guQ-NEk/s320/images+%25281%2529.jpg[/img]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

OnlySunshine

Actually, I remembered that I read about the daily life of these very same nuns in Rockford, IL on Cloistered Life. When they arise for Matins, a Sister knocks on each cell door. When they arise at 5:30am, a bell is rung.

[url="http://www.cloisteredlife.com/poor-clares/"]The Daily Life of a Poor Clare Nun[/url]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1302802272' post='2228666']
The community I am discerning with doesn't like the use of tampons because of the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. I have also heard that some have the old thought that using tampons is impure. Fortunately, the community I am discerning with allows tampons if the woman has a medical need such as heavy flow. :)
[/quote]

Wow. That's another plus for the order. It gives me more hope that they will be open to my (our) issues and needs... :smile2: Even though THAT isn't one of my needs...

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='Piccoli Fiori JMJ' timestamp='1302785444' post='2228618']
Specifically mentioned as no-nos were hair dryers, electric razors (but disposable is okay), clocks, watches, jewelry, cell phones, ipods, laptops, statues, and extra books (lol... If I could I might bring along an extensive library...).
[/quote]

What's wrong with watches? I have ADHD and have to have a watch to keep track of the day. I bought a special $30 rugged Timex velcro-band sport watch at Walmart that will last a long time. I plan to wear it when/if I enter somewhere. It's really a must-have for me.

Edited by JoyfulLife

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1302811481' post='2228713']
What's wrong with watches? I have ADHD and have to have a watch to keep track of the day. I bought a special $30 rugged Timex velcro-band sport watch at Walmart that will last a long time. I plan to wear it when/if I enter somewhere. It's really a must-have for me.
[/quote]

Just speaking from the experience of having stayed a few days at the convent...

It was so freeing not to have to worry about time. I took off my watch, turned off my phone, and let it be. There was no need to be aware of the time because the sound of the bell indicated what was next. And it was beautiful, to just work and be present with whatever it was we were doing. Not thinking about what is next or how much longer I'll be doing this, etc. I really felt as though not having access to the time helped me to truly be present to whatever task was at hand-- whether it was prayer or work or what. And this, of course also meant that when it was a period for work and you were given a job, you had to work hard at it for the entire work period, because you wouldn't know if you'd have time enough to finish it. It keeps you from unintentionally being lazy ("Oh, I have an hour to do this task, so I can slow down the pace"), or stressing out whether you'll finish something in time (because if you worked for the entire work period, than you did your best and that was all anyone asked in the first place). All in all-- very freeing.

Another possibility about nixing tampons is that I've heard they can get caught in old plumbing/drain systems and cause problems with clogging pipes. Maybe they don't want them flushed down and risk a backup?

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='stlmom' timestamp='1302815971' post='2228752']
Another possibility about nixing tampons is that I've heard they can get caught in old plumbing/drain systems and cause problems with clogging pipes. Maybe they don't want them flushed down and risk a backup?
[/quote]

Good thought, but then again, they could simply request that tampons not be flushed down the toilet. (They ARE under obedience after all.)

I don't know why I brought this up, except that not using tampons is an idea I never personally considered. But, then again, the clostered life IS countercultural, and some of the reasons for certain customs/actions make perfect sense in the monastery, even if they wouldn't make sense in the word.

As for using a clacker, etc to wake up the nuns, I was thinking of a situation where the nuns were doing an all-night vigil, and each nun had a individual "shift," say from 2 am to 3 am. They wouldn't want to wake all the Sisters up, as with a clacker, so I just assumed nuns had alarm clocks. But, what do I know? There were nuns before there were alarm clocks, and obviously they found a way to handle this.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1302817081' post='2228757']
As for using a clacker, etc to wake up the nuns, I was thinking of a situation where the nuns were doing an all-night vigil, and each nun had a individual "shift," say from 2 am to 3 am. They wouldn't want to wake all the Sisters up, as with a clacker, so I just assumed nuns had alarm clocks. But, what do I know? There were nuns before there were alarm clocks, and obviously they found a way to handle this.
[/quote]

I remember over-hearing a rather funny story during my stay at the convent having to do with this exact scenario. I guess the way they did it with the SSVMs is that the sister whose shift was over would go and wake the next sister up. Well, the sleeping sister did not react kindly and, in her sleep, slapped the other sister who was trying to wake her up!!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1302820109' post='2228769']
I remember over-hearing a rather funny story during my stay at the convent having to do with this exact scenario. I guess the way they did it with the SSVMs is that the sister whose shift was over would go and wake the next sister up. Well, the sleeping sister did not react kindly and, in her sleep, slapped the other sister who was trying to wake her up!!
[/quote]

:hehe2:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1302819715' post='2228767']
Does anyone know if the SsEW allow watches and alarm clocks?
[/quote]

I would imagine an active order like the SsEW would allow watches and alarm clocks. It's one thing being in a monastery with clocks in every room and bells to tell you when to come to prayer. It's a complete other when you have other apostolates and ministries that require one to leave the convent. I wouldn't fret about what you could bring and what you cannot. Things will vary greatly from community to community. There are so many charisms and apostolates in this world, each would require something unique and different.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1302803039' post='2228670']
Actually, I remembered that I read about the daily life of these very same nuns in Rockford, IL on Cloistered Life. When they arise for Matins, a Sister knocks on each cell door. When they arise at 5:30am, a bell is rung.

[url="http://www.cloisteredlife.com/poor-clares/"]The Daily Life of a Poor Clare Nun[/url]
[/quote]

Yup! That's how it works :) I actually got back from a visit to the Monastery today. I was measured for the postulant jumper (although I was the one doing the measurements, lol) and I got to try some old jumpers on. There was one that fit almost perfectly... Sister joked that I could come tomorrow as I'd have something to wear! Oh... it felt so good to be there. Walking into the chapel for midday prayer was almost overwhelming, imagining that soon I would be there with them... He is so good to us.