An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bin Laden Dead!

Cherie

AudreyGrace

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1304307864' post='2235590']
I guess I'm confused help me understand. What is the use of praying for the man ? He's dead. He had the choice of picking heaven or hell while alive. He went with murdering innocent people. What is there to pray abought when you die its final ?
[/quote]

check out 2Maccabees. pray for the dead :like:

Remember everyone, it's Divine Mercy Sunday. Jesus would LOVE for Bin Ladin to run into his arms with guilt and repentance.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304308233' post='2235596']
When the thought occurs to me, I often pray for people who went through trials in the nearer past, because I know that my prayers now may have affected them then. I also pray that people who died in the past, especially martyrs, that their death was not in vain, and that they took comfort from their suffering. Some of these people experienced their death many years or centuries in the past, but to God their death is still very much a reality, as is our own.
[/quote]

Well, while not nearly as commendable as your prayers, I've often prayed for friends (or myself) after having taken exams and such.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304307938' post='2235591']
God is outside time, so when our prayers go to Him, they too are no longer bound by the constraints of linear time. Your prayers for him now may mean that he repented a week ago when he was killed, or whatever it was.
[/quote]
That's pretty interesting. Didn't know it worked like that.

God is outside time, so when our prayers go to Him, they too are no longer bound by the constraints of linear time. Your prayers for him now may mean that he repented a week ago when he was killed, or whatever it was.
[/quote]

and knowing that, it's possible not one person has ever gone to hell

[/quote]
That is confusing though. I can't even wrap my mind arounf it.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Tony' timestamp='1304309409' post='2235604']
[/quote]
It is certainly open for discussion, though in my opinion there are a couple compelling arguments to believe that there are at least some in hell.
One interesting argument I heard regards the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. Notice that this is the only parable with a named person in it. It's unique in that sense, so for that reason some interpret it as meaning that the parable in this case dealt with real people, which would place that rich man in hell.

[quote name='Tony' timestamp='1304309409' post='2235604']
[/quote]
How though ? I mean I hate the idea of hell. I would love for everyone to end up in heaven. But I don't understand what you meant ?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1304309466' post='2235605']
That is confusing though. I can't even wrap my mind arounf it.
[/quote]
Think about it this way. We say that God is omnipresent, however this includes time as well as space. To God, all time exists in the same instant, like when you look at a timeline printed on a paper. The timeline exists for you all at once, so in a very abstract sense, all the events on that timeline exist for you in that moment. However, even then you're experiencing it from the perspective of a linear flow of time. For God, all of Creation is like that one timeline on a page. He sees it all at once. I don't even want to say simultaneously because that seems to imply/assume the presence of time, but that's the idea.
All of Creation is completely present to God in one eternal moment.

"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice," Proverbs 24:17

I fear we have only created a martyr.

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1304309915' post='2235609']
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice," Proverbs 24:17

I fear we have only created a martyr.
[/quote]

God knows it's taken us long enough to create this particular martyr - how long has he been on the run? Since Bush 43's first terms? So, like 10 years or so?

He'll do less harm dead, and probably be less inspirational dead, too - no more videos that show up randomly to inspire his followers.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1304309761' post='2235608']
Think about it this way. We say that God is omnipresent, however this includes time as well as space. To God, all time exists in the same instant, like when you look at a timeline printed on a paper. The timeline exists for you all at once, so in a very abstract sense, all the events on that timeline exist for you in that moment. However, even then you're experiencing it from the perspective of a linear flow of time. For God, all of Creation is like that one timeline on a page. He sees it all at once. I don't even want to say simultaneously because that seems to imply/assume the presence of time, but that's the idea.
All of Creation is completely present to God in one eternal moment.
[/quote]
That's pretty deep. It make sence though. So I could pray for hitler right now and that might mean because we prayed for him now he repented right before he died. Hmm very interesting. So what about someone who dies before their time ? Will God forgive them because one day they would of ended up repenting ?

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1304310063' post='2235611']
If he truly believed that he was doing God's will, I don't know....
[/quote]

But did GOD believe Bin Laden was doing God's will? Wouldn't that be the question?

Edit for typo.

Edited by Luigi

I'm not sure how I should react or feel about this.

[i]Should I demanding Obama release the death certificate now?[/i]

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

AudreyGrace

I was thinking about the fact that it's Divine Mercy Sunday. If we prayed the chaplet earnestly at 3am and pm today, asking God to have mercy on us ALL, doesn't that include Bin Ladin? I think we should all be hoping and praying that he somehow made it to heaven. Whether we like it or not, he is our brother.