Nihil Obstat Posted May 12, 2011 Author Posted May 12, 2011 It really can't get much worse than our current English translation. You can't even call it a translation, really. It's a paraphrase.
Lil Red Posted May 12, 2011 Posted May 12, 2011 [quote name='kafka' timestamp='1305170128' post='2240362']In any case I'll be gone from here soon, so you wont have to deal with me anymore.[/quote] i hope not.
philothea Posted May 12, 2011 Posted May 12, 2011 [quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1305170366' post='2240364'] I have a question, and I'm not trying to be a pain by asking. I simply do not know, and not being a traddie, I hadn't thought about it before now. I know that the OF in English is being revised to a more faithful translation. I completely support that effort, and it is currently being phased in by our pastors. I'm wondering if the same translation issues occurred in other languages. I mean is there this kind of fight going on in Spanish speaking countries, or German? If so, are they, or have they, received a revised translation? If not, why have we had this trouble in English? [/quote] I've heard that the German-language missal was revised in 2002 and is up for revision again, causing some controversy. Not being competent in the language, I can't say what the details are.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 12, 2011 Author Posted May 12, 2011 We are called by God to worship Him. It is His due as our Creator. If we offer anything less than the absolute best this entire world has to offer, then we are holding something back from Him. I believe in a strict liturgy because I believe that it is the best this world has to offer. As I said, God called us to worship Him, and through the Church He also provided us with the means for doing so. It is our responsibility as rational people of faith to use this means of worship to the fullest possible extent. Love isn't always easy. That is what I believe.
Skinzo Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 It's out. Keep scrolling for the English text: http://press.catholica.va/news_services/bulletin/news/27407.php?index=27407&lang=en S.
dUSt Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 I like the part where the Libyans find them in the mall parking lot and Doc is like, "Run for it Marty!"
MIKolbe Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 see.. I didn't read it in the original latin... you always lose something in the translation....
Lisa Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 (edited) [font="Arial"][size="3"]I read it, and don't pretend to understand a lot of it, but this made me happy:[/size] [size="3"][quote][/size] [size="2"]Ordinaries are asked to offer their clergy the possibility of acquiring adequate preparation for celebrations in the [i]forma extraordinaria.[/i] This applies also to Seminaries, where future priests should be given proper formation, including study of Latin[sup]8[/sup] and, where pastoral needs suggest it, the opportunity to learn the [i]forma extraordinaria[/i] of the Roman Rite.[/size] [size="3"][/quote][/size] [size="3"]We don't have a Latin mass in our diocese, I think simply because there is an overall lack of knowledge of it. So yay if our young men learn it in seminary![/size][/font] Edited May 13, 2011 by Lisa
dominicansoul Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 what makes me sad, is how many are actually going to put this into practice? We've had the motu proprio for 4 years now, and my diocese still has only one Latin Mass celebrated in one location...and it's a very large diocese... I'm praying hard to get the FSSP to come to my diocese..hopefully they will get a parish...
Skinzo Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 [quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1305291713' post='2240809'] [font="Arial"][size="3"]I read it, and don't pretend to understand a lot of it, but this made me happy:[/size] [size="3"]We don't have a Latin mass in our diocese, I think simply because there is an overall lack of knowledge of it. So yay if our young men learn it in seminary![/size][/font] [/quote] Well don't count on Latin being in the seminaries. Canon 249 of the 1983 code actually requires that it be taught in the seminaries. . But the American bishops' norms for seminaries only state that it is "strongly recommended". And the Vatican approved that language a while ago. S.
Lisa Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 [quote name='Skinzo' timestamp='1305292430' post='2240815'] Well don't count on Latin being in the seminaries. Canon 249 of the 1983 code actually requires that it be taught in the seminaries. . But the American bishops' norms for seminaries only state that it is "strongly recommended". And the Vatican approved that language a while ago. S. [/quote] I'm going to hope anyway, though. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif[/img] That's probably the only chance that a Latin Mass ever makes it to our diocese. I think there is a general trend towards greater orthodoxy and faithfulness to the Church in U.S. seminaries.
Archaeology cat Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 [quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1305291961' post='2240811'] what makes me sad, is how many are actually going to put this into practice? We've had the motu proprio for 4 years now, and my diocese still has only one Latin Mass celebrated in one location...and it's a very large diocese... I'm praying hard to get the FSSP to come to my diocese..hopefully they will get a parish... [/quote] Same here. And the one parish that has it isn't easy for us to get to, not having a car. I try to remember to pray for our Archbishop.
dUSt Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 [quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1305291961' post='2240811'] what makes me sad, is how many are actually going to put this into practice? We've had the motu proprio for 4 years now, and my diocese still has only one Latin Mass celebrated in one location...and it's a very large diocese... I'm praying hard to get the FSSP to come to my diocese..hopefully they will get a parish... [/quote] Is that one Latin mass in that one location always crowded with people standing in the back and no place to sit? That's how all the Novus Ordo masses at my parish are (and it's a large church). The Latin mass (15 minutes away) rarely has more than 1/2 of the church filled (and it's a small church). Supply and demand.
Skinzo Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 [quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1305292872' post='2240818'] I'm going to hope anyway, though. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif[/img] That's probably the only chance that a Latin Mass ever makes it to our diocese. I think there is a general trend towards greater orthodoxy and faithfulness to the Church in U.S. seminaries. [/quote] By all means, hope and pray! And I hope and pray you are right about the seminaries. Have you requested the Traditional Latin Mass from your bishop? Regards, S.
Skinzo Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 [quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1305293021' post='2240819'] Same here. And the one parish that has it isn't easy for us to get to, not having a car. I try to remember to pray for our Archbishop. [/quote] AC, Have you tried writing your bishop and copying the letter to the Ecclesia Dei commission? That's worked for some people. C.
Brother Adam Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305294192' post='2240826'] Is that one Latin mass in that one location always crowded with people standing in the back and no place to sit? That's how all the Novus Ordo masses at my parish are (and it's a large church). The Latin mass (15 minutes away) rarely has more than 1/2 of the church filled (and it's a small church). Supply and demand. [/quote] Yes, most people will always flock towards the easiest road. That does not mean that is what is best for them.
kafka Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305290039' post='2240801'] I like the part where the Libyans find them in the mall parking lot and Doc is like, "Run for it Marty!" [/quote] iawtc. Why cant we all just read Veritatis Splendor again instead of this focusing on this?
MIKolbe Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 (edited) [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305294192' post='2240826'] Is that one Latin mass in that one location always crowded with people standing in the back and no place to sit? That's how all the Novus Ordo masses at my parish are (and it's a large church). The Latin mass (15 minutes away) rarely has more than 1/2 of the church filled (and it's a small church). Supply and demand. [/quote] I think if the supply was better well known, the demand would increase a lot. The fact that there were so many hoops to jump through just to 'get' the EF celebrated, coupled with the fact that some clergy either don't know or don't want to how to celebrate the EF; your supply is extremely (and to an extent, unfairly) narrowed. I would advance the theory that if the supply was 'free-er', more easily accessed, the demand would increase. If seminarians were taught the EF and latin (not simply reccomended to learn it), one could agrue you would at least be in a better 'position' to offer it. iono, I'm not communicating real well right now.. but these are my thoughts.... Edited May 13, 2011 by MIkolbe acronym corrections
Lil Red Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 [quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1305291961' post='2240811'] what makes me sad, is how many are actually going to put this into practice? We've had the motu proprio for 4 years now, and my diocese still has only one Latin Mass celebrated in one location...and it's a very large diocese... I'm praying hard to get the FSSP to come to my diocese..hopefully they will get a parish... [/quote] FSSP are only invited into a diocese...they will not come in unless your bishop gives permission.
Recommended Posts