Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Nihil Obstat
Posted

Thomas Woods thinks that Herman Cain is lame. After listening to his reasons I agree 100%.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl_RXM8Kt6g[/media]

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308798735' post='2257519']
Thomas Woods thinks that Herman Cain is lame. After listening to his reasons I agree 100%.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl_RXM8Kt6g[/media]
[/quote]

I know him, too, and am not a fan. But we probably have the same reasons for not liking Cain.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1308799148' post='2257524']
I know him, too, and am not a fan. But we probably have the same reasons for not liking Cain.
[/quote]
You mean you don't like Tom Woods?

Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1307478233' post='2250940']
I think she is actually dumber than Dubya.

Did you SEE and HEAR her Paul Revere stuff? I mean, how unintelligent does she sound? Beyond the fact that she is clearly ignorant of basic historical facts, she just SOUNDS dumb. I don't care about her pro-life principles--that's great and all, but you're a dumbie.
[/quote]
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/06/sarah-palin-says-paul-revere-warned-the-british.html

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308799454' post='2257525']
You mean you don't like Tom Woods?
[/quote]

Met him at the Mises Institute last summer and I am sure his books are great (I got halfway through one of them and was really turned off by his criticism of the popes' understanding of economics-- I get that popes aren't experts, but he wasn't very nice about it imho) but I just get really turned off by his attitude. Nothing against him personally I just prefer to steer clear of his materials out of personal preference.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1308800570' post='2257533']
Met him at the Mises Institute last summer and I am sure his books are great (I got halfway through one of them and was really turned off by his criticism of the popes' understanding of economics-- I get that popes aren't experts, but he wasn't very nice about it imho) but I just get really turned off by his attitude. Nothing against him personally I just prefer to steer clear of his materials out of personal preference.
[/quote]
Ooh, you've been to the Mises Institute? Lucky. I wanna go there too.
I read his book The Church and the Market, and most of his articles that relate Catholicism to economics. He does criticize what you might call the 'typical' papal understanding of economics, and I guess debating his style of doing so is more a matter of taste. However, the subject itself is critical for his thinking, as I'm sure you'd agree. He really can't go anywhere as a Catholic without first establishing that, for instance, we're not necessarily bound to believe that minimum wage laws are the best way to benefit the poor.
If you perceive his criticisms as.... I don't know, mean spirited, I'd probably tend to interpret it as aggressive, and only aggressive in order to break down many many decades of built-up inertia in the subject as it stands in the Catholic world. He's got to get the ball rolling again, to use the inertia metaphor again.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1308801358' post='2257538']
Ooh, you've been to the Mises Institute? Lucky. I wanna go there too.
I read his book The Church and the Market, and most of his articles that relate Catholicism to economics. He does criticize what you might call the 'typical' papal understanding of economics, and I guess debating his style of doing so is more a matter of taste. However, the subject itself is critical for his thinking, as I'm sure you'd agree. He really can't go anywhere as a Catholic without first establishing that, for instance, we're not necessarily bound to believe that minimum wage laws are the best way to benefit the poor.
If you perceive his criticisms as.... I don't know, mean spirited, I'd probably tend to interpret it as aggressive, and only aggressive in order to break down many many decades of built-up inertia in the subject as it stands in the Catholic world. He's got to get the ball rolling again, to use the inertia metaphor again.
[/quote]

I definitely agree with you. As you pointed out, it's just his style that I don't like. I'm sure his content is pertinent, but I have this highly inconvenient habit of despising works by people I find obnoxious :saint:

Edit: My repugnance towards people who are obnoxiously "aggressive" towards the Church is highly influenced by the role that the rad trad mentality played in my life years back. I get on the defensive when it comes to people criticizing the popes for anything, even if it's legit, because of the hatred I have seen in some people towards "Vatican II" and all the popes since then. I cried for a week when JPII died, because I never felt so close to someone I had never met. Long story short (and much more emotional than it probably needs to be): I don't handle pope-slamming well. And it's something I need to work on.

Edited by Totus Tuus

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...