An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama: Working On Gun Control Under The Radar

Lil Red

Maximilianus

I work on gun control everytime I go to the range. The closest radar is at the airfield near by so I'm not under it.

Winchester

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1306468830' post='2246524']
Huh, so I believe right originate from the Constitution? glad to know that, wasn't what i thought I believed. But you know, some dude on teh interwebz obviously knows the inner workings of my mind better than i do.

Alright I guess i better quote what i want out of the article *sigh* :

Alright, i was mainly looking at ^this

Was ignoring ^this

And this is [b]really [/b]the only reason that i posted the article, to talk about the two interpretations of the amendment. I'm not really interested in the author's opinion on the issue, sorry about that Don John. Merely injecting the different interpretations of the amendment into this discussion. I apologize for being lazy.
[/quote]
srs bzns

[quote name='Don John of Austria' timestamp='1306393871' post='2246141']
Haven't you, he's been so transparent in everything he does.
[/quote]
LOL

I like your thinking!!

Here he is accepting an award for 'transparncy' in a secret meeting...

[url="http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0311/not_a_secret_anymore_a00ccd98-0d9e-4822-8936-168f3a51b959.html"]Article here[/url]

You can't tell people that they can't live without schools, hospitals, international development, and all other kinds of institutions, and then tell them they are competent to handle guns responsibly. Violence is always committed because you are powerless, and through violence you hope to gain some kind of power. We live in a modern technocratic empire (and I'm not just referring to government). The proliferation of guns and violence is a logical consequence...we are a society of people who have been convinced that we are incompetent/powerless to do anything unless it is planned and directed for us. We do not live in the 18th century. We do not live in a society of farmers wielding rifles.

We live in a militarized police state. We have abandoned "security" to the government's institutional practitioners of violence (the military and police). Conservatives are the ones who are always calling for a "strong military" and being "tough on crime." Conservatives want to secure society through violent institutions. Okay. But when you abandon security to the government's institutions, in the name of "protection," you cannot then disperse that task of protection to private citizens who have been raised to depend on society's institutions.

That was my long way of saying: conservatives, for all their wailing against gun control, are committed to some of the key social structures that make gun control necessary.

Edited by Era Might

Winchester

I think there are a lot of people who label themselves conservative, but are really classical liberals. They just haven't thought deeply enough about it. I believe in a right to bear arms because man is prior to the state.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1306519462' post='2246831']
I think there are a lot of people who label themselves conservative, but are really classical liberals. They just haven't thought deeply enough about it. I believe in a right to bear arms because man is prior to the state.
[/quote]

I always lol when someone tells me they are a conservative, cause 99% of the time there really a liberal rotfl

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1306549890' post='2246948']
I always lol when someone tells me they are a conservative, cause 99% of the time there really a liberal rotfl
[/quote]

I am not a classical liberal, though I share many classiacl liberal beliefs. I am a conservative, but not what we call conservative in the US.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' timestamp='1306551085' post='2246952']
I am not a classical liberal, though I share many classiacl liberal beliefs. I am a conservative, but not what we call conservative in the US.
[/quote]

you're that 1% then :like:

And i'm sure my numbers are off, that was a HUGE exaggeration.

Edited by Amppax

You know what they say, 83.5% of statistics are made up on the spot.

As an aside it's always funny when someone says X is not a [i]true[/i] conservative/libertarian/anarchist/liberal. Words part of the ever-changing phenomenon we call language . . . change . . . a lot, as do the connotations attached to them. Why people have this obsession to narrow down philosophical systems and beliefs down to a simple word or phrase is beyond me. It's almost like one is trying to save one's breath, which one then proceeds to waste blabbing about how something typically called conservative is not really conservative or how something oft associated with anarchy is not really anarchist etc. Going at lengths to simplify and abbreviate things you actually make it more complicated and frustrating. Just my lulz for the day.

on topic: I would like to learn how to shoot a gun. [size="1"]but i don't really trust myself [/size]

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1306704371' post='2247502']
So Obama's been out practicing at the firing range?
[/quote]

Didn't you know he is a secret Muslim Navy Seal?

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=112957&st=0"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=112957&st=0[/url]

see posts 17 and 18

Winchester

[quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1306706723' post='2247515']
I hope he's successful
[/quote]
You hope he's successful at what?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1306392045' post='2246134']
been loving all the open debates on cspan that obama promised.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMf6kW_1Nw[/media]
[/quote]

LOL, you stole my old avatar. I love Flynn Rider. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1306519462' post='2246831']
[/quote]

I don't call myself conservative at all, though I agree with most of the Republican views. I do, however, hold the view that gun control is seriously needed. I consider myself an "independent" even though I am a registered Republican so I can vote in the primary elections. :)