CatherineM Posted June 12, 2011 Posted June 12, 2011 I also wonder how many of them have bothered to get MDiv's. Here, lay student, male and female, must have an identified ministry in order to enroll in the program. I'm pretty sure that if I said that my ministry was going to be as a woman priest, I'd be shown the door.
Vincent Vega Posted June 12, 2011 Posted June 12, 2011 [quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1307913037' post='2252869'] That's right! I completely forgot about the Orthodox [/quote] Well the Orthodox are not in communion with Rome. There are, however, 22 eastern Rites that are (here is some info on said Rites: http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/catholic_rites_and_churches.htm ).
MissScripture Posted June 12, 2011 Posted June 12, 2011 [quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1307913650' post='2252873'] I also wonder how many of them have bothered to get MDiv's. Here, lay student, male and female, must have an identified ministry in order to enroll in the program. I'm pretty sure that if I said that my ministry was going to be as a woman priest, I'd be shown the door. [/quote] I would guess there ARE some programs that wouldn't care if they were going be "women priests," and possibly some that would encourage them. But I would also guess if they're not caring much for the other "rules" about being a priest, they wouldn't necessarily give a hoot about that, either.
kujo Posted June 12, 2011 Posted June 12, 2011 Sadly, my aunt--the resident nut in the Kiernan family-- is one of these female "priests" up in Milwaukee.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 12, 2011 Posted June 12, 2011 [quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1307909943' post='2252840'] Who "ordained" them? They are just a sad splintered, broken, heretical group of women. And not really even a threat. We had a women's ordination protest at our cathedral yesterday. 6 old angry senior citizens. Inside were over 1,000 Catholics and over 100 priests to watch 3 men be ordained by our bishop. It just makes them look silly. Only the liberal media takes women like these seriously. Yes, they have already excommunicated themselves, but even if it is made public and formal the media will still ignore the true Church. I think the true Church does what is in the best interest of their souls. I remember a while back one woman repented and confessed her sin, rejoining the Church. [/quote] Afaik most of them trace their 'ordinations' somehow back to the Danube Seven. Basically, a wayward bishop tried to ordain a group of seven women on a boat in the middle of the Danube (outside of the jurisdiction of local bishops). So-called womenpriests generally try to trace themselves back to the Danube Seven to claim apostolic line.
TeresaBenedicta Posted June 12, 2011 Posted June 12, 2011 After witnessing one of my closest friends ordained to the priesthood, I can't imagine someone, male or female, grasping the priesthood for themselves. The ordination of a man to the priesthood is one the most magnificent things I've ever witnessed- it is such an amazing work of grace, even [i]I[/i] felt unworthy, as part of the faithful praying for this man!! [quote] Philippians 2:5-11 [5] Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, [6] who, though he was in the form of God, [b]did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, [7] but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. [/b] [8] And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. [9] Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, [10] that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, [11] and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. [/quote] I feel badly for these women. I'm sure they genuinely 'feel' called, for whatever reason... but the priesthood simply isn't something you can 'grasp'. It is a pure gift from God, given through the power of the Church.
OnlySunshine Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 This is so weird--I was just talking to my mom today about the "womenpriest" movement. I really is despicable what is going on.
Chamomile Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 I don't know if this has been posted recently, but for those wondering why a woman can't be a priest, listen to this lecture by Peter Kreeft: [url="http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio/09_priestesses.htm"]Women & the Priesthood[/url]
Norseman82 Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307919651' post='2252906'] Afaik most of them trace their 'ordinations' somehow back to the Danube Seven. Basically, a wayward bishop tried to ordain a group of seven women on a boat in the middle of the Danube (outside of the jurisdiction of local bishops). So-called womenpriests generally try to trace themselves back to the Danube Seven to claim apostolic line. [/quote] Except that pouring water or ketchup on a steak and saying "you were born a cow, you are now a fish" does not mean the steak is now a fish.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 [quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1307926734' post='2252929'] Except that pouring water or ketchup on a steak and saying "you were born a cow, you are now a fish" does not mean the steak is now a fish. [/quote] Hence scare quotes around 'ordination', specifying that the wayward bishop "tried to" ordain them, and referring to them as "[i]so-called[/i] womenpriests".
Lil Red Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 [quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1307928368' post='2252947'] brb.. i'm off to get pregnant. ttyl. [/quote] does your wife know?
Ed Normile Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 The only thing that these women has Defied, is reality. They are not priests nor Roman Catholic either. They can play with hosts and wine all day long and all they will ever have is bread & wine.The shame is there are those who will be fooled into celebrating the farce with them and they will be hurt too. ed
Nunsense Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 Ok - please correct me if I'm worng, but I thought only a Bishop could ordain a priest? If so, then this whole thing doesn't work anyway because these women were 'ordained' by other 'priests' not by a Bishop. So they have not only defied Canon law by being ordained as women, and some as married women, but also being ordained by other 'priests' instead of a Bishop. Or are there occasions when one priest can ordain another one? Anyway, it's all irrelevant since the Church has not said that it 'won't' ordain women, but that it 'can't' ordain women. That's pretty clear to me. I don't feel sickened by this. I feel deeply saddened.
Papist Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 (edited) [font="Tahoma"][size="2"]"The Catholic Church through its long and constant teaching holds that ordination has been, from the beginning, reserved to men, a fact which cannot be changed despite changing times."[/size][/font] [font="Tahoma"] [/font][font="Tahoma"][size="2"]"The [b][u]cleric[/u][/b] and the "women priest" are automatically excommunicated"[/size][/font] [font="Tahoma"] [/font][font="Tahoma"][size="2"] -- Archbishop Donald W. Wuerl [/size][/font] [font="Tahoma"] [/font][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][img]http://summer.wtu.edu/img/about/wuerlAtLectern-300w.jpg[/img] [/size][/font] Edited June 13, 2011 by Papist
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now