cmotherofpirl Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 They are priests in the same way as someone staying in a garage and pretending to be a car. The Church does not ordain priestesses. not now. not ever.
MissScripture Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 [quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307963982' post='2253093'] Women priests, this is fantastic. About time too. [/quote] Yeah, I think it's about time men have babies, too. I think it's sexist that they don't.
MithLuin Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 (edited) Yeah, there's nothing particularly Catholic about what happened. As the SSPX knew all too well, you can't have new priests if you don't have a bishop. So, a priest can't just ordain another priest. If a bishop were to 'ordain' a woman as a bishop, that might look like it would work on paper (to have apostolic succession, I mean), but it doesn't actually work at all, so....even if you were to follow all the other rules, ignoring the 'men only' rule invalidates everything. I mean, it's not like the event was even held in a Catholic church - it was a UCC building. So, no, having an excommunicated woman lay hands on you does not make you a Catholic priest (regardless of who you are). But yes, these women have been automatically excommunicated, and the two who gave their names to NPR might find themselves formally excommunicated as well, should their bishops find out about it. ETA: It is disheartening that this happened right down the street from me, but...I will say that Catonsville has a wonderful Catholic community with several [b][u]faithful[/u][/b] orders of women religious right there (including Little Sisters of the Poor and the Nashville Dominicans, but I think there are maybe 3 other groups as well). Just a reminder that there are plenty of people who don't support the actions of this fringe group. Edited June 13, 2011 by MithLuin
CatherineM Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 One of the things that I read about them is that they do "mass" twice a month. Real priests have to say mass every day.
dUSt Posted June 13, 2011 Author Posted June 13, 2011 [quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307963982' post='2253093'] Women priests, this is fantastic. About time too. [/quote] You're weird.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 [quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307963982' post='2253093'] Women priests, this is fantastic. About time too. [/quote] I agree. It is simply silly the Church does not have priestesses. I mean the fact that from the beginning the Church has not had priestesses means that the Church has been oppressive to women. What was the Church thinking when it opposed pagan priestesses who were basically nothing more than temple prostitutes and were treated as objects of sexual gratification?! This is injustice and not the calling of humanity to realize the dignity of every human person. Clearly, history is on the side of those who say that the Church is an oppressive, patriarchal, European male hegemony from the beginning. Finally this injustice that women were denied their rightful places as "those who guide people into the mysteries," by pushing them towards momentary senses of euphoria, will be rectified after over two thousand years and men and women will finally be equals again as they were before the Church oppressed women.
Vincent Vega Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 [quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' timestamp='1307982684' post='2253185'] I agree. It is simply silly the Church does not have priestesses. I mean the fact that from the beginning the Church has not had priestesses means that the Church has been oppressive to women. What was the Church thinking when it opposed pagan priestesses who were basically nothing more than temple prostitutes and were treated as objects of sexual gratification?! This is injustice and not the calling of humanity to realize the dignity of every human person. Clearly, history is on the side of those who say that the Church is an oppressive, patriarchal, European male hegemony from the beginning. Finally this injustice that women were denied their rightful places as "those who guide people into the mysteries," by pushing them towards momentary senses of euphoria, will be rectified after over two thousand years and men and women will finally be equals again as they were before the Church oppressed women. [/quote] [img]http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/919/27c/37f/resized/check-counts-meme-generator-i-see-what-you-did-there-_-84a230.jpg[/img]
Lil Red Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1307982811' post='2253186'] [img]http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/919/27c/37f/resized/check-counts-meme-generator-i-see-what-you-did-there-_-84a230.jpg[/img] [/quote] aw[i][/i]esome
LaPetiteSoeur Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 (edited) [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1307982811' post='2253186'] [img]http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/919/27c/37f/resized/check-counts-meme-generator-i-see-what-you-did-there-_-84a230.jpg[/img] [/quote] Although I enjoy the show [i]The Vicar of Dibley[/i], they are Anglicans. I like the Church and her traditions! Papa Benny is so great! Edited June 13, 2011 by LaPetiteSoeur
InPersonaChriste Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 Now i am uber pissed. More pissed than when I saw an anglican priestess at the Royal Wedding.
thessalonian Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 (edited) The article is mistaken. No ordinations have taken place at any of these cerimonies. No one had holy communion either. What they partook in was devil's bread. It is sad to see souls in such peril. Edited June 13, 2011 by thessalonian
FutureSister2009 Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 They look ridiculous. If you're a woman, become a Sister instead, please.
LaPetiteSoeur Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 They should read their catechism! [i]Inter insigniores[/i]: [indent]"Only a baptized man (vir) receives sacred ordination. The Lord Jesus chose men ([i]viri[/i]) to form the college of the twelve apostles, and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry. The college of bishops, with whom the priests are united in the priesthood, makes the college of the twelve an ever-present and ever-active reality until Christ’s return. The Church recognizes herself to be bound by this choice made by the Lord Himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible. " Prayers that they find their way back to the right path. It's sad that they are acting in this way. [/indent]
BigJon16 Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 I think the Ordination of women by people who claim to be Catholic is a spit in the face to those who are loyal to the Church and all of its teachings. Mind you, I am no saint and I have my own "gripes" but this is just...insulting. It really makes me upset, especially as a person who is descerning Priesthood. If I may be allowed one moment of selfishness then I might say that Priesthood is a 'guy thing', and a 'guy thing' only. It is sacred in that those Ordained [i]must[/i] be men, and not women. Women have their own place within the Church, just like Peter and Mary have their own places within the Communion of Saints. Places that are very seperate from each other. And it just doesnt [i]look[/i] right. I mean, it is just so wrong that it looks bad. Priests should only be men, not the latter sex. If you find this sexist, then go jump off a bridge. hahahaha
OnlySunshine Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 [quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1307987477' post='2253230'] They look ridiculous. If you're a woman, become a Sister instead, please. [/quote] That's part of the problem, though. They don't want to be obedient. Their whole "ministry" is based upon disobedience and deliberate disregard for the Holy Father and all the Church's traditions.
MIKolbe Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 there's a joke in there somewhere... but excellent point.
Ash Wednesday Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 (edited) [quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307963982' post='2253093'] Women priests, this is fantastic. About time too. [/quote] [img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/darth/images/thumb/a/a8/PopeLightning.jpg/300px-PopeLightning.jpg[/img] Edited June 13, 2011 by Ash Wednesday
cappie Posted June 13, 2011 Posted June 13, 2011 By staging these mock ordinations and presenting themselves as Catholic priests, the members of Roman Catholic Womenpriests are violating canon law in several different ways. But they are not violating Canon 1024, because they are not receiving sacred ordination. Suppose I throw a rock into the air, with the intention of causing it to rise forever. Am I violating the law of gravity? No. I am defying it, perhaps, but if you look at my action objectively, you realize that it is pointless, even pathetic. The law of gravity will not be broken. My rock will come back down to earth. And Roman Catholic Womenpriests will not be Roman Catholic priests. [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/otn.cfm?id=813"]http://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/otn.cfm?id=813[/url]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now