Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1308009385' post='2253370'] This is the sad part in the article: She "taught high school theology". [/quote] i don't even want to look. i was always afraid something like this would happen. if men priests would step up and do their job right this kind of thing might not happen.
faithcecelia Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='carmenchristi' timestamp='1308152887' post='2254020'] I'm speculating that there has been no formal excommunication because that would be just what the media would want: another opportunity to make the Catholic Church look evil by twisting around the truth. Anyone who is a faithful Catholic should know that these are grounds for latae sententiae excommunication. [b]This has been going on for many years, I think there must be some serious reason why Catholic bishops have done nothing. [/b][/quote] I think this is of note and would be interested to know the reasoning, its not as if these women are going about it in secret and it would take little effort to get a list of them.
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1307909943' post='2252840'] Who "ordained" them? They are just a sad splintered, broken, heretical group of women. And not really even a threat. We had a women's ordination protest at our cathedral yesterday. 6 old angry senior citizens. Inside were over 1,000 Catholics and over 100 priests to watch 3 men be ordained by our bishop. It just makes them look silly. Only the liberal media takes women like these seriously. Yes, they have already excommunicated themselves, but even if it is made public and formal the media will still ignore the true Church. I think the true Church does what is in the best interest of their souls. I remember a while back one woman repented and confessed her sin, rejoining the Church. [/quote] according t the Church they are not really ordained are they? even if they took vows.
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307919651' post='2252906'] Afaik most of them trace their 'ordinations' somehow back to the Danube Seven. Basically, a wayward bishop tried to ordain a group of seven women on a boat in the middle of the Danube (outside of the jurisdiction of local bishops). So-called womenpriests generally try to trace themselves back to the Danube Seven to claim apostolic line. [/quote] they can't be in the apostolic succession because they are women and the apostles were men.
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307963982' post='2253093'] Women priests, this is fantastic. About time too. [/quote] i don't think so! don't want a woman president either.
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1307969002' post='2253112'] Yeah, there's nothing particularly Catholic about what happened. As the SSPX knew all too well, you can't have new priests if you don't have a bishop. So, a priest can't just ordain another priest. If a bishop were to 'ordain' a woman as a bishop, that might look like it would work on paper (to have apostolic succession, I mean), but it doesn't actually work at all, so....even if you were to follow all the other rules, ignoring the 'men only' rule invalidates everything. I mean, it's not like the event was even held in a Catholic church - it was a UCC building. So, no, having an excommunicated woman lay hands on you does not make you a Catholic priest (regardless of who you are). But yes, these women have been automatically excommunicated, and the two who gave their names to NPR might find themselves formally excommunicated as well, should their bishops find out about it. ETA: It is disheartening that this happened right down the street from me, but...I will say that Catonsville has a wonderful Catholic community with several [b][u]faithful[/u][/b] orders of women religious right there (including Little Sisters of the Poor and the Nashville Dominicans, but I think there are maybe 3 other groups as well). Just a reminder that there are plenty of people who don't support the actions of this fringe group. [/quote] The Bible says that in the last days false leaders will rise up from within the Church.
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1307992208' post='2253262'] I think the Ordination of women by people who claim to be Catholic is a spit in the face to those who are loyal to the Church and all of its teachings. Mind you, I am no saint and I have my own "gripes" but this is just...insulting. It really makes me upset, especially as a person who is descerning Priesthood. If I may be allowed one moment of selfishness then I might say that Priesthood is a 'guy thing', and a 'guy thing' only. It is sacred in that those Ordained [i]must[/i] be men, and not women. Women have their own place within the Church, just like Peter and Mary have their own places within the Communion of Saints. Places that are very seperate from each other. And it just doesnt [i]look[/i] right. I mean, it is just so wrong that it looks bad. Priests should only be men, not the latter sex. If you find this sexist, then go jump off a bridge. hahahaha [/quote] Most of all it is spitting in the face of God.[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1307987477' post='2253230'] They look ridiculous. If you're a woman, become a Sister instead, please. [/quote] I would love to but I'm not acceptable because I have disabilities.[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1307987477' post='2253230'] They look ridiculous. If you're a woman, become a Sister instead, please. [/quote] I would love to but I'm not acceptable because I have disabilities.
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1307994132' post='2253269'] Why don't men ever try to be nuns? [/quote] Gross!
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='cappie' timestamp='1307994547' post='2253275'] By staging these mock ordinations and presenting themselves as Catholic priests, the members of Roman Catholic Womenpriests are violating canon law in several different ways. But they are not violating Canon 1024, because they are not receiving sacred ordination. Suppose I throw a rock into the air, with the intention of causing it to rise forever. Am I violating the law of gravity? No. I am defying it, perhaps, but if you look at my action objectively, you realize that it is pointless, even pathetic. The law of gravity will not be broken. My rock will come back down to earth. And Roman Catholic Womenpriests will not be Roman Catholic priests. [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/otn.cfm?id=813"]http://www.catholicc.../otn.cfm?id=813[/url] [/quote] Why can't all people who support women priests and the idea of it be excommunicated too?
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='cappie' timestamp='1307994547' post='2253275'] By staging these mock ordinations and presenting themselves as Catholic priests, the members of Roman Catholic Womenpriests are violating canon law in several different ways. But they are not violating Canon 1024, because they are not receiving sacred ordination. Suppose I throw a rock into the air, with the intention of causing it to rise forever. Am I violating the law of gravity? No. I am defying it, perhaps, but if you look at my action objectively, you realize that it is pointless, even pathetic. The law of gravity will not be broken. My rock will come back down to earth. And Roman Catholic Womenpriests will not be Roman Catholic priests. [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/otn.cfm?id=813"]http://www.catholicc.../otn.cfm?id=813[/url] [/quote] I bet Pope John Paul II is roling over in his grave.
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1308059024' post='2253573'] It is so good that we can see this. I am so sad for these women because they aren't doing this just to be in opposition to the Church but because they truly want this in their hearts. The problem with that is that we can't always have what we want in our hearts - sometimes God is asking something else of us. Maybe Jesus would have like to have had a wife and kids - at least He certainly didn't want to go ahead with the Passion, but He surrendered His will to God's will. These women could be serving the Church in so many other ways, but they insist on this one particular expression of their faith, which is quite clearly denied to them, just as motherhood is denied to men. It is sad, terribly sad that they can't see this because you are right, it will end in broken hearts. Or in anger and more sin.... either way it is sad and bad. [/quote] If we truly wish to follow Jesus we must deny ourselves daily and take up our cross and follow Him. Unless we are willing to give up to God all that most dear to us we are not worthy to follow Him. The Cross is the way He wishes to be followed.
Debra Little Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='carmenchristi' timestamp='1308152887' post='2254020'] I'm speculating that there has been no formal excommunication because that would be just what the media would want: another opportunity to make the Catholic Church look evil by twisting around the truth. Anyone who is a faithful Catholic should know that these are grounds for latae sententiae excommunication. This has been going on for many years, I think there must be some serious reason why Catholic bishops have done nothing. [/quote] Yeah because the bishops., a lot of them, are lukewarm themselves. And a lot of them are modernists. Why on earth would they support us?
Nihil Obstat Posted June 15, 2011 Posted June 15, 2011 [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1308172474' post='2254223'] they can't be in the apostolic succession because they are women and the apostles were men. [/quote] Hence the plethora of qualifying words, key among them being that the wayward bishop "tried to" ordain them. Also: multiquote.
carmenchristi Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1308173892' post='2254241'] Yeah because the bishops., a lot of them, are lukewarm themselves. And a lot of them are modernists. Why on earth would they support us? [/quote] Debra, I wouldn't deny for a minute that there seem to be many lukewarm bishops (I say seem, because only God really knows), but at the same time, this is a HUGE issue. I myelf come from a very liberal "modernist" diocese. Actully my Institute tried to open a community there once and was denied the possibility, most likely on the grounds of it's traditional take on the faith and religious life. I do however think that it is a heavy sentence to say that the bishops have done nothing because they are lukewarm liberals. Perhaps a few bishops scattered here and there support the issue (like mine???), perhaps even many bishops support the issue (which I doubt) the fact is, it's not a diocesean matter, its a matter of the universal Church. The very fact that there is a worldwide organization of women "priests" is a huge indicator of this. The pope himself could easily intervene, either by obliging the bishops to take action, or by taking action himself. Perhaps his corse of action has specifically been to do nothing. Is that not what happened in the early Church? When different groups arose with questionable origins they were left to their own devices because whatever is not of God is bound to fail. Why would the bishops support us? Ummm.... I think we should be supporting them. Of course not where heresy or immorality are verified, but can we honestly say for certain that the lack of action on their part is due to some sinister plot, or just plain not caring. For me, that's harsh.
Debra Little Posted June 16, 2011 Posted June 16, 2011 [quote name='carmenchristi' timestamp='1308217404' post='2254493'] Debra, I wouldn't deny for a minute that there seem to be many lukewarm bishops (I say seem, because only God really knows), but at the same time, this is a HUGE issue. I myelf come from a very liberal "modernist" diocese. Actully my Institute tried to open a community there once and was denied the possibility, most likely on the grounds of it's traditional take on the faith and religious life. I do however think that it is a heavy sentence to say that the bishops have done nothing because they are lukewarm liberals. Perhaps a few bishops scattered here and there support the issue (like mine???), perhaps even many bishops support the issue (which I doubt) the fact is, it's not a diocesean matter, its a matter of the universal Church. The very fact that there is a worldwide organization of women "priests" is a huge indicator of this. The pope himself could easily intervene, either by obliging the bishops to take action, or by taking action himself. Perhaps his corse of action has specifically been to do nothing. Is that not what happened in the early Church? When different groups arose with questionable origins they were left to their own devices because whatever is not of God is bound to fail. Why would the bishops support us? Ummm.... I think we should be supporting them. Of course not where heresy or immorality are verified, but can we honestly say for certain that the lack of action on their part is due to some sinister plot, or just plain not caring. For me, that's harsh. [/quote] You are right. It's not fair of me to lump all bishops together. I was thinking of our bishop here in our diocese. I haven't heard much good about him but I don't pay attention too much to all the talk because I don't know him personally. I'm sure there are still a lot of holy priests and bishops. Why is it, though, that the ones we hear about are the liberalist modernist bishops. My parish is modernist and when I returned to the Church I couldn't believe the change. It gotten worse in my absence. This has always bothered me and it's very sad. These people are putting their own souls at stake and the souls of their flocks. Why don't they care?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now