An Old School Catholic Message Board

Order Guessing Game

LaPetiteSoeur

sistersintigo

[quote name='rosamundi' timestamp='1309013431' post='2258588']
The first monastery of Dominican (Order of Preachers) nuns was founded in Prouillhe in 1205.

I'm really guessing on the second one - the Premonstratensian Canonesses, otherwise known as the Norbertines? Founded in Prémontré, but I can't find a date of foundation.
[/quote]

rosamundi is a WINNER and it's your turn! Correct on the cloistered Dominican nuns in Prouilhe.

see, I'm learning stuff here too. Because I had something different in mind than Premontre and the Norbertines, God bless them -- although your answer may be accurate.

The second one, here's a hint. These women, in a town of "PR-" (neither Premontre nor Prouilhe), were a community already, and already living under a very strict rule....which to the best of my knowledge, nobody uses that rule anymore....but they wanted to try supervision under this new and radical charism of men. Good luck.

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1308951588' post='2258265']
Can I add one even though I haven't guessed?

This order began in Hungary during WWII. they emigrated to Canada and later to the US. They use videos and music to teach the faith to young people. and at one time they had a convent in Reno right down the street from my house!
[/quote]

additional hint: these sisters taught religion in Hungary using puppet shows. that way, if the children were questioned by authorities they could honestly say that they had been to a puppet show, not a religion class.

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1309013949' post='2258593']
rosamundi is a WINNER and it's your turn! Correct on the cloistered Dominican nuns in Prouilhe.
[/quote]

This was the first congregation of non-enclosed Dominican women in Britain. They work in University chaplaincies, parish missions, schools and further education institutes, as well as provinding care and support for the elderly, young and vulnerable.

sistersintigo

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1309011209' post='2258574']
How about a cloistered monastic TWO-FER? It's not my turn but I will throw this in anyhow.

The place is medieval France. Which makes the time, close to 1200 AD.
Two very different groups of men are putting down the roots of two religious orders which exist to the present day, and what happens is:
a group of WOMEN, a different group for each of the masculine foundations, becomes their first monastery of CLOISTERED NUNS.
Here's the curious part: the foundations are in two different towns, but each town name begins with the letters PR-.
Remember: it's when the WOMEN were accepted by the men and became affiliated with the men's supervision and the charism of the men's order.

If you can scare up the names of these towns, so much the better, but what REALLY counts is:
what are the two orders?
[/quote]

Another CLUE is in order, as rosamundi guessed one order but not the second. Rosamundi correctly guessed Prouilhe for the cloistered Dominican nuns.

The other town also starts with PR-. No, I'm not giving you the name of the town... however,
these women formed a community in AD 611, with a VERY strict rule for the enclosure of nuns. Shortly before 1200 AD, they decided to throw in their lot with the **** Order whose foundations were all monks/men. What order did they join?

sistersintigo

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1309017581' post='2258612']
additional hint: these sisters taught religion in Hungary using puppet shows. that way, if the children were questioned by authorities they could honestly say that they had been to a puppet show, not a religion class.
[/quote]
Hey, I didn't mean to bump Linnie out of the picture -- don't know what congregation this is -- anyone else?

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1309219940' post='2259263']
Hey, I didn't mean to bump Linnie out of the picture -- don't know what congregation this is -- anyone else?
[/quote]

another hint: their founder was only 18 when the congregation began. and she is now being put forward for sainthood

sistersintigo

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1309267147' post='2259634']
another hint: their founder was only 18 when the congregation began. and she is now being put forward for sainthood
[/quote]

The Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart: letters SDSH, founder "sister Ida"

[url="http://www.sacredheartsisters.com/sisterida/sisterida.html"]Foundress Sister Ida[/url]

PS. Google scared this up right away....why did nobody else try it?!

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1309276765' post='2259700']
The Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart: letters SDSH, founder "sister Ida"

[url="http://www.sacredheartsisters.com/sisterida/sisterida.html"]Foundress Sister Ida[/url]

PS. Google scared this up right away....why did nobody else try it?!
[/quote]

wonderful order of beautiful sisters

sistersintigo

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1309278008' post='2259705']
wonderful order of beautiful sisters
[/quote]

linnie, I take it that's a Yes?? You didn't say No or Almost....

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1309281384' post='2259721']
linnie, I take it that's a Yes?? You didn't say No or Almost....
[/quote]

oops! Yes, you're correct

This is a very sweet game. It would be very fun as a board game. I am going to print some of this out for use at recreation.

If I may step in, I have one: Order that was founded by two nuns from France. A movie was based on their foundation, but with little attention to the "real" facts. The order is well and thriving today. (And there is a Sister Praxedes in the community, but I'm not her!) :)

sistersintigo

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1309283510' post='2259734']
oops! Yes, you're correct
[/quote]

This order was founded by men, to start with. The men were approached by a women's community that:
was located in France;
had initially been founded in 611 AD;
and had used the women's rule by Caesarius of Arles. They went by the name of the town "Pr--".
The women wanted to try the men's supervision, and thus
they became the first cloistered NUNS of this Order. What order is it?

Apologies for jumping in ahead, I didn't realize this question hadn't been answered. Let me try...

[size="4"][b]Candidus et Canonicus Ordo Praemonstratensis[/b][/size] ?????????

sistersintigo

[quote name='praxedes' timestamp='1309293745' post='2259875']
Apologies for jumping in ahead, I didn't realize this question hadn't been answered. Let me try...

[size="4"][b]Candidus et Canonicus Ordo Praemonstratensis[/b][/size] ?????????
[/quote]

Awwww....second time somebody has offered that answer! This may actually be a true answer,
however I had another order of men -- and later, women -- in mind! Is it THAT hard?! Aren't there enough clues?