An Old School Catholic Message Board

Order Guessing Game

LaPetiteSoeur

sistersintigo

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1309290379' post='2259837']
This order was founded by men, to start with. The men were approached by a women's community that:
was located in France;
had initially been founded in 611 AD;
and had used the women's rule by Caesarius of Arles. They went by the name of the town "Pr--".
The women wanted to try the men's supervision, and thus
they became the first cloistered NUNS of this Order. What order is it?
[/quote]

okay, okaaaaay. You need another clue. Let me spell it out:
town: PREBAYON
joined what order? around 1200 AD
originally created for women in 611 AD, and had followed the rule of Caesarius of Arles.
They are the first nuns in this order, founded by MEN roughly nine hundred years ago!!! No more clues!

no, not Augustinian, not Norbertine....

sistersintigo

[quote name='praxedes' timestamp='1309309135' post='2259994']
[size="6"]Carthusians? Oh, please tell me I'm right![/size]
[/quote]

You are right! Your turn.

(sorry to keep you waiting)

sistersintigo

[quote name='praxedes' timestamp='1309286518' post='2259779']
This is a very sweet game. It would be very fun as a board game. I am going to print some of this out for use at recreation.

If I may step in, I have one: Order that was founded by two nuns from France. A movie was based on their foundation, but with little attention to the "real" facts. The order is well and thriving today. (And there is a Sister Praxedes in the community, but I'm not her!) :)
[/quote]

It's Praxedes' turn, AND nobody has answered this guess-the-order yet, so have at it. Happy Fourth of July.

sistersintigo

[quote name='rosamundi' timestamp='1309025529' post='2258655']
This was the first congregation of non-enclosed Dominican women in Britain. They work in University chaplaincies, parish missions, schools and further education institutes, as well as provinding care and support for the elderly, young and vulnerable.
[/quote]

Dominicans!! Where are you hiding? Nobody has answered this congregation question yet! (going to let you answer it)

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1309962122' post='2263601']
Dominicans!! Where are you hiding? Nobody has answered this congregation question yet! (going to let you answer it)
[/quote]

Dominican Sisters of the English Congregation of St Catherine of Siena, Stone,

sistersintigo

[quote name='rosamundi' timestamp='1309025529' post='2258655']
This was the first congregation of non-enclosed Dominican women in Britain. They work in University chaplaincies, parish missions, schools and further education institutes, as well as provinding care and support for the elderly, young and vulnerable.
[/quote]

Rosamundi, back to you -- did Darlene get the right answer?

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1309977114' post='2263698']
Rosamundi, back to you -- did Darlene get the right answer?
[/quote]

Was my answer to the order guessing game correct? My answer was Dominican Sisters of the English Congregation of St Catherine of Siena, Stone,

[size="4"][/size][b]The Benedictines at Regina Laudis Abbey,[/b]

If I may step in, I have one: Order that was founded by two nuns from France. A movie was based on their foundation, but with little attention to the "real" facts. The order is well and thriving today. (And there is a Sister Praxedes in the community, but I'm not her!) :)
[/quote]

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1310156655' post='2264624']
Was my answer to the order guessing game correct? My answer was Dominican Sisters of the English Congregation of St Catherine of Siena, Stone,
[/quote]

Our principal house is in [url="http://www.stone-dominicans.org.uk/Stone.html"]Stone, Staffordshire[/url], and hence we are sometimes known as the 'Stone' Sisters. It was a foundation made by [url="http://www.stone-dominicans.org.uk/Stone.html"]Margaret Hallahan[/url] who, in 1845, was the first to found a congregation of non-enclosed Dominican women in Britain.

• 2 weeks later...
LaPetiteSoeur

These sisters work primarily with Mothers and babies in Europe. They wear white and work in hospitals and clinics. Who are they?

• 3 months later...
LaPetiteSoeur

Resurrecting this thread because VS needs some cheeriness! My question still stands on the above order. WHO ARE THEY?