fides' Jack Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1309238346' post='2259458'] Ooh, two-parter. I'll start from the second part. Afaik, it only occurs if there's an Asperges, which is at the High Mass, and not at Low Masses. From what I've read on the subject, you could interpret it as a public act of humiliation, almost. It's especially clear with the bishop's cappa magna, like Cardinal Burke used last year. [/quote] A-a-spe-e-erge-es-me, do-o-omi-i-ne hy-sso-o-po e-e-et mund-a-a-a-bor. Wow, it's hard to type-sing.
Debra Little Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309276055' post='2259691'] And that is the difference between participatio activa and participatio actuosa. [/quote] i would appreciate it if people would please speak english. most of us don't understand latin and it isn't used inour parihes.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1309284764' post='2259758'] Lol pride brother pride. We all do like to be acknowledged. It's hard to not want tobenoticed sometimes. [/quote] I was pretty clear that I was kidding. [quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1309284869' post='2259759'] A-a-spe-e-erge-es-me, do-o-omi-i-ne hy-sso-o-po e-e-et mund-a-a-a-bor. Wow, it's hard to type-sing. [/quote] Srsly.
Debra Little Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309284613' post='2259756'] Tell him. [/quote] Me tell our priest? I don't think he'd take that so well. Maybe he would. I don't really know him that well. But how on earth do I make myself sound humble and not condescending?
Cam42 Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1309285056' post='2259763'] Me tell our priest? I don't think he'd take that so well. Maybe he would. I don't really know him that well. But how on earth do I make myself sound humble and not condescending? [/quote] By being straightforward and honest with him. Humility does not equal meekness. To be truly humble in this instance is to expect that the Mass be celebrated not the way we want it, but the way the Church wants it. The same humility applied to the priest in question. If he doesn't take it well, that is on him, not on you. You (your parish) has a right to the Mass celebrated properly.
fides' Jack Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1309284916' post='2259760'] i would appreciate it if people would please speak english. most of us don't understand latin and it isn't used inour parihes. [/quote] There's an important distinction to be made here. Sometimes using Latin terminology is the correct way to go. I think Cam42's Participatio Activa and Participatio Actuoso are the technical terms for the meaning. Kind of how all the body parts have latin names. If he had used the English translation, "Active Participation" and "Actual Participation" (I think that's right - someone correct me if I'm wrong), then part of the meaning is lost, because the direct translation doesn't really capture the theological implications of the term in question. Like Latae Sentenciae. According to Wikipedia, it translates to "Giving Sentence", which doesn't really correspond with the meaning, which might better be translated as "Automatic Excommunication". For some of these terms, I think it's better to look them up for yourself to try to understand the ideas, rather than the words. These words specifically aren't used in Mass, and to understand them you have to have some theological training, so it applies equally to every parish in existence. Edit: The body parts are another good example, because the Latin often describes the part in question, rather than give their English names; sometimes muscle names can be translated as, "the one that pulls," or something similar. Edit: Edit: They often sound like, "Armus Extendamus," or "Punchus Himus Downamus." Edited June 28, 2011 by fides' Jack
dUSt Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1309285056' post='2259763'] But how on earth do I make myself sound humble and not condescending? [/quote] You're asking [b]Cam[/b] how to do this!? Excuse me... [size="5"]HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!![/size]
dUSt Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='vee8' timestamp='1309240323' post='2259533'] I like holding hands during the Our Father [/quote]
Cam42 Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1309286306' post='2259775'] You're asking [b]Cam[/b] how to do this!? Excuse me... [size="5"]HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!![/size] [/quote] That was incredibly uncharitable and downright mean....even if you are the owner of the site. I rarely say anything here to further my own cause or to show an aire of arrogance. All I say is for the betterment of the Church, even if some people here don't agree...
Cam42 Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1309285725' post='2259769'] [...] If he had used the English translation, "Active Participation" and "Actual Participation" (I think that's right - someone correct me if I'm wrong), then part of the meaning is lost, because the direct translation doesn't really capture the theological implications of the term in question. [...] [/quote] participatio activa = active participation (external) participatio actuosa = active participation (internal and external) There is no corresponding English translation, which is why there has been so much confusion about the true meaning of participatio actuosa. When it is translated, the assumption goes to the lowest common denominator (which is activa). It just isn't always the case. Another way to look at it is this.... participatio activa = actively participating by doing.... participatio actuosa = full, concious and active participation. Sometimes when dealing with the Church, there just is no better way or more accurate way to convey the meaning without staying with the Latin.
dUSt Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309286944' post='2259787'] That was incredibly uncharitable and downright mean....even if you are the owner of the site. I rarely say anything here to further my own cause or to show an aire of arrogance. All I say is for the betterment of the Church, even if some people here don't agree... [/quote] Does it help to know that I was laughing as I typed it? If not, I'm sorry.
Cam42 Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1309287468' post='2259797'] Does it help to know that I was laughing as I typed it? If not, I'm sorry. [/quote] No it doesn't help... and thank you for apologizing...
faithcecelia Posted June 28, 2011 Posted June 28, 2011 The first sort of preceeds Mass, as well as every time I come into the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, and that is when I look to the Tabernacle (unless its Adoration, of course) and genuflect and silently pray 'My Lord and my God'. I was stunned at how that grew more and more important to me, and became a stronger and stronger feeling while I was in Carmel, and is a big part of what I am looking forward to when I return, just knowing that each time I enter choir I am coming before my God and acknowledging Him, silently pouring out my love. The other is, as others have said, 'Lord, I am not worthy to recieve you, but only say the word and I shall be healed'. It choakes me every time, here I am, a sinner in the midst of a church full of sinners, and there is Christ ready and waiting for us to take Him into ourselves - in the form of the Eucharist and also in the form of the Spirit entering our hearts and minds.
Maria Posted June 29, 2011 Author Posted June 29, 2011 I love the way that Jesus gives Himself so completely to us that we can offer Him to the Father.
Lisa Posted June 29, 2011 Posted June 29, 2011 I love how the beginning of the Gospel reading, we say "Glory to You, O Lord," reminding us that the Scriptures are the life of the Son, inspired by the Holy Spirit, giving glory to the Father. And then when we make the crosses on our forehead, lips, and heart to keep the Word of God on our mind, on our lips, and in our hearts
Debra Little Posted June 29, 2011 Posted June 29, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1309286306' post='2259775'] You're asking [b]Cam[/b] how to do this!? Excuse me... [size="5"]HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!![/size] [/quote] hahahah to youi too. lol. actually i was very serious. a good day to all my Phat brothers and sisters. In Jesus and Mary, Deb
franciscanheart Posted June 29, 2011 Posted June 29, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309286944' post='2259787'] That was incredibly uncharitable and downright mean....even if you are the owner of the site. I rarely say anything here to further my own cause or to show an aire of arrogance. All I say is for the betterment of the Church, even if some people here don't agree... [/quote]
Cam42 Posted June 29, 2011 Posted June 29, 2011 [quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1309368435' post='2260300'] [/quote] What's that look for?
Lil Red Posted June 29, 2011 Posted June 29, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309369980' post='2260317'] What's that look for? [/quote] Probably because she is wondering how you could post that with a straight face.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now