Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Roman Catholic Diocese Of Orange May Buy Crystal Cathedral


Recommended Posts

katholikkid
Posted

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- The list of potential buyers for the Crystal Cathedral is growing.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange says it's now exploring the possibility of purchasing the cathedral.

Diocese of Orange Bishop Tod D. Brown noted there is no cathedral in the county, even though it's home to 1.2 million Catholics and the nation's 11th largest diocese.

"If the diocese can prevent the loss of this important Christian ministry and what the Crystal Cathedral has represented to so many for so long- and meet its own priorities for a new cathedral- we have a duty to at least review the options," Brown said in a statement.

Chapman University and a real-estate investment firm Greenlaw Partners LLC have also expressed interest in purchasing the site.

The Crystal Cathedral filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last year. The cathedral aims to sell the property and lease back portions for use as a way to help erase its $36 million mortgage and wipe out almost all of the $10 million in unsecured debt.

Marc Winthrop, the church's bankruptcy attorney, has said there is at least one more potential offer and expects the church's board will review the bids jointly once they are filed.

A bankruptcy court hearing has been scheduled for Tuesday to establish bidding rules for the property.

The Associated Press contributed to this story
(Copyright ©2011 KABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.) beg.gifbeg.gifbeg.gifPLEASE GOD NO! JUST NO! beg.gifbeg.gifbeg.gif




Vincent Vega
Posted

I know some organists who have given recitals there, and they say that the instrument is impossible to keep in tune since they are constantly dealing with being in direct sunlight. Between that and the fact that you have to defy death to get into the playing cabin of the carillon, I meet this news with a resounding "meh".

That aside, how can you have a diocese with no cathedral? :huh:

katholikkid
Posted (edited)

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1310089603' post='2264234']
I know some organists who have given recitals there, and they say that the instrument is impossible to keep in tune since they are constantly dealing with being in direct sunlight. Between that and the fact that you have to defy death to get into the playing cabin of the carillon, I meet this news with a resounding "meh".

That aside, how can you have a diocese with no cathedral? :huh:
[/quote]


Maybe the diocese extends beyond the county or something. Perhaps if they put in some stained glass that might be cool but I am not down with the mega-churchness of it ya know? Its not the size because I understand accommodating factor but it gives me shivers. I am a former evangelical so I am not cool with the Crystal Cathedral idea at all.

Edited by katholikkid
CatherineM
Posted

It was my understanding that they are in the process of splitting this diocese and were planning to add a cathedral there, and were looking at this as possible cost saving move by picking up a property at fire sale prices.

Chrysophylax
Posted

Wow, that would be scary. :blink: I don't think that would make the best Catholic church!!

southern california guy
Posted

Woah, I didn't know that the Crystal Cathedral was in bankruptcy. How can the Catholic church afford that? It sure would make a spectacular Catholic Cathedral though.

[img]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/DonaldDouglas/Second%20Americaneocon/DSCN1633.jpg[/img]

Brother Adam
Posted

Spectacular? No. Qualify for "Ugly as Sin" probably. I could see this being a modernist opera hall or theater, but not a Church. It looks like it belongs in the Wizard of Oz.

CatherineM
Posted

If a college does buy the entire property, it probably would end up being their concert hall.

Posted

The Cathedral of Our Lady of Cut Glass?

Basilisa Marie
Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1310095274' post='2264269']
Spectacular? No. Qualify for "Ugly as Sin" probably. I could see this being a modernist opera hall or theater, but not a Church. It looks like it belongs in the Wizard of Oz.
[/quote]

Oh, I don't know about that. Sure, it doesn't immediately scream "church" when one looks at it...but at least it's not "Christ, Hope of the World Church" in Vienna.

[img]http://www.rockwool.dk/files/RW-DK/current_architecture/Austrian_Austerity/2.jpg[/img]

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1310100506' post='2264312']
Oh, I don't know about that. Sure, it doesn't immediately scream "church" when one looks at it...but at least it's not "Christ, Hope of the World Church" in Vienna.

[img]http://www.rockwool.dk/files/RW-DK/current_architecture/Austrian_Austerity/2.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Funny thing: "ugly as sin" is not an exclusive club. :like:

Nihil Obstat
Posted

God save us from those Modernist monstrosities.

Posted

I've been there. It looks better in the picture. :|

SoonerCatholic
Posted

While I think the diocese could do better with building their own more traditional cathedral, there is something that appeals to me about the Catholic Church taking over formerly Protestant owned buildings.

Posted

To that point, I could see buying the property, tearing it down, and building something proper.

Posted

It looks like a ritzy casino.

Posted

not that I am some aristocrat when his nose in the air... but it's not that impressive on the inside...

HopefulBride
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Chrysophylax' timestamp='1310090446' post='2264239']
I don't think that would make the best Catholic church!!
[/quote]

moi non plus. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a reverent mass there.....

Edited by HopefulBride
HopefulBride
Posted

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1310100506' post='2264312']
Oh, I don't know about that. Sure, it doesn't immediately scream "church" when one looks at it...but at least it's not "Christ, Hope of the World Church" in Vienna.

[img]http://www.rockwool.dk/files/RW-DK/current_architecture/Austrian_Austerity/2.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

my eyes. my eyes!!!!!!!!! What is that?????? You kid me about this being a church right? please say you kid.

SuscipeMeDomine
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1310089603' post='2264234']That aside, how can you have a diocese with no cathedral? :huh:
[/quote]

They have a cathedral called Christ Our Savior: http://www.christoursaviorcathedral.net/ It's nothing special. I assume it was a parish church until the diocese was split off from Los Angeles in 1976. They've had plans underway for several years to build a new cathedral. I believe they're currently raising funds which I suppose could go to purchasing the Crystal Cathedral.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...