An Old School Catholic Message Board

Roman Catholic Diocese Of Orange May Buy Crystal Cathedral

katholikkid

not that I am some aristocrat when his nose in the air... but it's not that impressive on the inside...

HopefulBride

[quote name='Chrysophylax' timestamp='1310090446' post='2264239']
I don't think that would make the best Catholic church!!
[/quote]

moi non plus. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a reverent mass there.....

Edited by HopefulBride

HopefulBride

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1310100506' post='2264312']
Oh, I don't know about that. Sure, it doesn't immediately scream "church" when one looks at it...but at least it's not "Christ, Hope of the World Church" in Vienna.

[img]http://www.rockwool.dk/files/RW-DK/current_architecture/Austrian_Austerity/2.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

my eyes. my eyes!!!!!!!!! What is that?????? You kid me about this being a church right? please say you kid.

SuscipeMeDomine

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1310089603' post='2264234']That aside, how can you have a diocese with no cathedral? :huh:
[/quote]

They have a cathedral called Christ Our Savior: http://www.christoursaviorcathedral.net/ It's nothing special. I assume it was a parish church until the diocese was split off from Los Angeles in 1976. They've had plans underway for several years to build a new cathedral. I believe they're currently raising funds which I suppose could go to purchasing the Crystal Cathedral.

MissScripture

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1310128845' post='2264394']
not that I am some aristocrat when his nose in the air... but it's not that impressive on the inside...
[/quote]
Um, try, hideous beyond all reason...

Clare~Therese

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1310139603' post='2264462']
On a side note, the budget for Windex must be astronomical...
[/quote]

rotfl

Ed Normile

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1310095274' post='2264269']
Spectacular? No. Qualify for "Ugly as Sin" probably. I could see this being a modernist opera hall or theater, but not a Church. It looks like it belongs in the Wizard of Oz.
[/quote]

Yup!, resoundingly yup.

ed

Ed Normile

It reminds me of Supermans fortress of solitude, or whatever it is he calls the place made from crystals he goes to chill out.

ed

IgnatiusofLoyola

The Catholics could use the Crystal Cathedral as a device for converting people.

"If you remain a Protestant, you will eventually think buildings like this are tasteful. The sooner you become Catholic, the better." Then show them a picture of St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel. "See, this is what Catholics think is beautiful."

Personally, I think Disney should buy it and move it to Disney World (where they have extra room--Disneyland is pretty crowded). People who like that sort of thing could dress up like Snow White and get married there.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1310135818' post='2264434']
my eyes. my eyes!!!!!!!!! What is that?????? You kid me about this being a church right? please say you kid.
[/quote]

Nope, it's a Catholic church at that. I checked. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1310127559' post='2264385']
While I think the diocese could do better with building their own more traditional cathedral, there is something that appeals to me about the Catholic Church taking over formerly Protestant owned buildings.
[/quote]

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1310128035' post='2264389']
To that point, I could see buying the property, tearing it down, and building something proper.
[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. We should buy up as many Protestant properties as we can and tear down their ugly buildings, then replace it with something Catholic and attractive. Like Gothic or Baroque or the better Cistercian (because some of the stranger versions of Cistercian are borderline heretical).