An Old School Catholic Message Board

Roman Catholic Diocese Of Orange May Buy Crystal Cathedral

katholikkid

katholikkid

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- The list of potential buyers for the Crystal Cathedral is growing.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange says it's now exploring the possibility of purchasing the cathedral.

Diocese of Orange Bishop Tod D. Brown noted there is no cathedral in the county, even though it's home to 1.2 million Catholics and the nation's 11th largest diocese.

"If the diocese can prevent the loss of this important Christian ministry and what the Crystal Cathedral has represented to so many for so long- and meet its own priorities for a new cathedral- we have a duty to at least review the options," Brown said in a statement.

Chapman University and a real-estate investment firm Greenlaw Partners LLC have also expressed interest in purchasing the site.

The Crystal Cathedral filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last year. The cathedral aims to sell the property and lease back portions for use as a way to help erase its $36 million mortgage and wipe out almost all of the $10 million in unsecured debt.

Marc Winthrop, the church's bankruptcy attorney, has said there is at least one more potential offer and expects the church's board will review the bids jointly once they are filed.

A bankruptcy court hearing has been scheduled for Tuesday to establish bidding rules for the property.

The Associated Press contributed to this story
(Copyright ©2011 KABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.) beg.gifbeg.gifbeg.gifPLEASE GOD NO! JUST NO! beg.gifbeg.gifbeg.gif

Vincent Vega

I know some organists who have given recitals there, and they say that the instrument is impossible to keep in tune since they are constantly dealing with being in direct sunlight. Between that and the fact that you have to defy death to get into the playing cabin of the carillon, I meet this news with a resounding "meh".

That aside, how can you have a diocese with no cathedral? :huh:

katholikkid

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1310089603' post='2264234']
I know some organists who have given recitals there, and they say that the instrument is impossible to keep in tune since they are constantly dealing with being in direct sunlight. Between that and the fact that you have to defy death to get into the playing cabin of the carillon, I meet this news with a resounding "meh".

That aside, how can you have a diocese with no cathedral? :huh:
[/quote]

Maybe the diocese extends beyond the county or something. Perhaps if they put in some stained glass that might be cool but I am not down with the mega-churchness of it ya know? Its not the size because I understand accommodating factor but it gives me shivers. I am a former evangelical so I am not cool with the Crystal Cathedral idea at all.

Edited by katholikkid

CatherineM

It was my understanding that they are in the process of splitting this diocese and were planning to add a cathedral there, and were looking at this as possible cost saving move by picking up a property at fire sale prices.

southern california guy

Woah, I didn't know that the Crystal Cathedral was in bankruptcy. How can the Catholic church afford that? It sure would make a spectacular Catholic Cathedral though.

[img]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/DonaldDouglas/Second%20Americaneocon/DSCN1633.jpg[/img]

Brother Adam

Spectacular? No. Qualify for "Ugly as Sin" probably. I could see this being a modernist opera hall or theater, but not a Church. It looks like it belongs in the Wizard of Oz.

CatherineM

If a college does buy the entire property, it probably would end up being their concert hall.

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1310095274' post='2264269']
Spectacular? No. Qualify for "Ugly as Sin" probably. I could see this being a modernist opera hall or theater, but not a Church. It looks like it belongs in the Wizard of Oz.
[/quote]

Oh, I don't know about that. Sure, it doesn't immediately scream "church" when one looks at it...but at least it's not "Christ, Hope of the World Church" in Vienna.

[img]http://www.rockwool.dk/files/RW-DK/current_architecture/Austrian_Austerity/2.jpg[/img]

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1310100506' post='2264312']
Oh, I don't know about that. Sure, it doesn't immediately scream "church" when one looks at it...but at least it's not "Christ, Hope of the World Church" in Vienna.

[img]http://www.rockwool.dk/files/RW-DK/current_architecture/Austrian_Austerity/2.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Funny thing: "ugly as sin" is not an exclusive club. :like:

SoonerCatholic

While I think the diocese could do better with building their own more traditional cathedral, there is something that appeals to me about the Catholic Church taking over formerly Protestant owned buildings.

To that point, I could see buying the property, tearing it down, and building something proper.