An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant Pedophiles

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

Got any good sources showing that there are more Protestant Pedophiles than Catholic? Im pretty sure I have seen one or 2 on Phatmass before.

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310101348' post='2264316']
Got any good sources showing that there are more Protestant Pedophiles than Catholic? Im pretty sure I have seen one or 2 on Phatmass before.
[/quote]
is it a contest?

faithcecelia

Statistics can, of course, only show the numbers of those people who have been caught. Personally I think we should accept that throughout the Church - the whole Church - there have been those who have not lived as God would have them live, and that some children (and adults) have suffered terribly because of it, and then focus on keeping our children and vulnerable adults safe whilst praying that God work in the hearts of those who do such things to change them.

Edited by faithcecelia

havok579257

i don't know if this is something that we should be seeking out. we should not try to drag down any religion with their mistakes by their members. unless the religion supports abusing children, we can not and should not hold the faults of the people against the religion. if we have a fault with the religion it should be with the belief system and not the mistakes of their members. we are all sinners.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1310107300' post='2264348']
is it a contest?
[/quote]

LOL and then :( on this one...

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1310112878' post='2264362']
i don't know if this is something that we should be seeking out. we should not try to drag down any religion with their mistakes by their members. unless the religion supports abusing children, we can not and should not hold the faults of the people against the religion. if we have a fault with the religion it should be with the belief system and not the mistakes of their members. we are all sinners.
[/quote]

:) Well said.

CatherineM

I don't know the statistics, probably don't want to. I do know the stats for teachers is much higher. I will tell a story about one I do know about as a reflection on how different the situations can be. We used to live next door in St. Pete to a non-denominational church. It had lots of programs for teenagers, and was so tempting to want to send my boys there. Their friends went so it was hard to say no. It was very new agey, and had counselors. One was a pedophile. They hired him without checking his credentials, or his background. When a parent complained about his behavior towards her son, they hushed her up, kicked her off their version of parish council. It took them a long time to admit there was a problem and get rid of the guy. They hid it for all the same reasons that the Catholic hierarchy did.

infinitelord1

Reason why I am asking is because I'm pretty sure that Protestants like to hold that against Catholics....when the reality is they should be policing themselves up a little bit more.

infinitelord1

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1310136110' post='2264437']
I don't know the statistics, probably don't want to. I do know the stats for teachers is much higher. I will tell a story about one I do know about as a reflection on how different the situations can be. We used to live next door in St. Pete to a non-denominational church. It had lots of programs for teenagers, and was so tempting to want to send my boys there. Their friends went so it was hard to say no. It was very new agey, and had counselors. One was a pedophile. They hired him without checking his credentials, or his background. When a parent complained about his behavior towards her son, they hushed her up, kicked her off their version of parish council. It took them a long time to admit there was a problem and get rid of the guy. They hid it for all the same reasons that the Catholic hierarchy did.
[/quote]

They would have tried to drag your kids away from the Catholic Faith.

tbh, i like sites like reformation.com and others (like this https://www.facebook.com/notes/jason-salamone/worse-than-the-church-abuse-scandals/10150228151417599) because there is a misconception that this is solely a problem with Catholic Priests; ie those that would think there is a casual relationship between the priesthood and pedophilia. It's a stupid, illogical argument that needs to be beat down. This problem is everywhere, and is ultimately due to our fallen human nature, not who we associate with. (FAIAP, ATBE)

xSilverPhinx

I think the real problem here is the cover-up and the refusal of the Vatican to hand them over to secular authorities. They should be treated and judged just as any other peadophile would, with no distinction between teachers, Catholics or Protestants. if the Vatican knew about what was going on (and they did) and and didn't take the appropriate measures, they are complicit and so share responsibility.The same for any Protestant denomination or any other group or institution.

Why protect any of them?

havok579257

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1310148972' post='2264543']
I think the real problem here is the cover-up and the refusal of the Vatican to hand them over to secular authorities. They should be treated and judged just as any other peadophile would, with no distinction between teachers, Catholics or Protestants. if the Vatican knew about what was going on (and they did) and and didn't take the appropriate measures, they are complicit and so share responsibility.The same for any Protestant denomination or any other group or institution.

Why protect any of them?
[/quote]

proof?

infinitelord1

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1310148972' post='2264543']

Why protect any of them?
[/quote]

In CHURCH LAW a priest is not allowed to reveal your sins (from a confession) to anyone. If someone came to a priest and confessed that he just brutally murdered 10 people over the passed year.....the priest is still not allowed to reveal that information to anyone. So just like the mass murderer....the child molester is treated with this same dignity. So it makes sense as to why an issue like this would not be revealed to the public.

I look at the priest child molestation issue as a really good way of Satan attacking the Church. Satan could not attack the church by making church doctrine look bad because Church doctrine is infallible. He had to find another way.

Edited by infinitelord1

Winchester

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1310107300' post='2264348']
is it a contest?
[/quote]
[img]http://www.nostalgiaforinfinity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/boxer-lol.jpg[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310101348' post='2264316']
[/quote]

Even if you found a survey that showed there were more Protestant pedophiles than Catholics in America, any survey information would mean nothing for many reasons:

--There are more Protestants in the U.S. than Catholics, so it wouldn't be surprising if there were more Protestant pedophiles than Catholic pedophiles.

--It would be nearly impossible to get accurate information on ANY survey. If you ask a pedophile (of any religion) if he or she is a pedophile, chances are that they will say, "No," if only because many pedophiles don't believe they are hurting children by sexually abusing them, but that it is just a different form of "love." (I wish I was lying about that.)

--If you look at statistics of convicted pedophiles, you are only looking at the ones who got caught. And only the ones who got caught and couldn't pay an expensive lawyer to get the charges dropped.

I wouldn't believe ANY statistics I saw on pedophiles, of whatever religion, even statistics that show pedophilia is increasing. When I grew up to be an adult, I found that several of my friends had been abused as children, but never reported it because they were afraid to, or they thought they deserved it. In the past, the child often wasn't believed or was blamed, so the number of incidents reported probably HAS gone up, but that isn't an indication of the proportion of actual incidents to the total population.

So, forget trying to prove that Protestants are bad and Catholics are good. ALL pedophiles, of whatever religion, are bad. Let's work on improving the laws on reporting, tracking down, and convicting ANY pedophile. The child is harmed, whatever religion the pedophile belongs to.

This is one issue where Catholics and Protestants agree--let's work together, not point fingers at each other.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola