An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant Pedophiles

infinitelord1

infinitelord1

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1310107300' post='2264348']
is it a contest?
[/quote]

Well the [mod]MIKolbe-NEGATIVE CRITICISM OF OTHER RELIGIONS[/mod] (Protestants) like to hold this against Catholics. Yet another area Protestants are misinformed on....Child Molestation being more a problem in the Catholic Church than in their church. The reality is it is more a problem in their church. Yet its not talked about. Maybe all the news we have been seeing should have been more about Child molestation in Churches. As opposed to Child molestation by Catholic Priests.

http://www.bilerico.com/2010/04/the_other_shoe_child_molesting_by_non-catholic_cle.php

Edited by MIkolbe

infinitelord1

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310166558' post='2264722']
Even if you found a survey that showed there were more Protestant pedophiles than Catholics in America, any survey information would mean nothing for many reasons:

--There are more Protestants in the U.S. than Catholics, so it wouldn't be surprising if there were more Protestant pedophiles than Catholic pedophiles.

--It would be nearly impossible to get accurate information on ANY survey. If you ask a pedophile (of any religion) if he or she is a pedophile, chances are that they will say, "No," if only because many pedophiles don't believe they are hurting children by sexually abusing them, but that it is just a different form of "love." (I wish I was lying about that.)

--If you look at statistics of convicted pedophiles, you are only looking at the ones who got caught. And only the ones who got caught and couldn't pay an expensive lawyer to get the charges dropped.

I wouldn't believe ANY statistics I saw on pedophiles, of whatever religion, even statistics that show pedophilia is increasing. When I grew up to be an adult, I found that several of my friends had been abused as children, but never reported it because they were afraid to, or they thought they deserved it. In the past, the child often wasn't believed or was blamed, so the number of incidents reported probably HAS gone up, but that isn't an indication of the proportion of actual incidents to the total population.

So, forget trying to prove that Protestants are bad and Catholics are good. ALL pedophiles, of whatever religion, are bad. Let's work on improving the laws on reporting, tracking down, and convicting ANY pedophile. The child is harmed, whatever religion the pedophile belongs to.

This is one issue where Catholics and Protestants agree--let's work together, not point fingers at each other.
[/quote]

My goal is not to prove that Catholics are good and Protestants are bad. Its to show Protestants that they have been brainwashed into thinking that Catholics don't believe in God because of these Priest Child Molester Scandals. When the reality is that it goes on in their churches as well. This is something they have been using as a 'weapon' against Catholics.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310154249' post='2264592']
In CHURCH LAW a priest is not allowed to reveal your sins (from a confession) to anyone. If someone came to a priest and confessed that he just brutally murdered 10 people over the passed year.....the priest is still not allowed to reveal that information to anyone. So just like the mass murderer....the child molester is treated with this same dignity. So it makes sense as to why an issue like this would not be revealed to the public.

I look at the priest child molestation issue as a really good way of Satan attacking the Church. Satan could not attack the church by making church doctrine look bad because Church doctrine is infallible. He had to find another way.
[/quote]

The secrecy of the confessional is important for a number of reasons--and I don't think it's the problem.

Is the priest REQUIRED to give absolution? (I honestly don't know.) Or can the priest make absolution conditional on the pedophile turning themselves into the police? If nothing else, the priest can try to convince the pedophile to turn themselves in.

If a child confesses being molested to the priest, the priest can help the child realize that he or she is not responsible, and can help convince the child to report the incident and support the child during the reporting process.

actually, it's more of a problem in the schools, than in the churches.
http://www.brutallyhonest.org/brutally_honest/2011/07/sexual-abuse-of-students.html

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310167828' post='2264730']
My goal is not to prove that Catholics are good and Protestants are bad. Its to show Protestants that they have been brainwashed into thinking that Catholics don't believe in God because of these Priest Child Molester Scandals. When the reality is that it goes on in their churches as well. This is something they have been using as a 'weapon' against Catholics.
[/quote]

Don't lump all Protestants into one group that thinks alike.

I certainly have never felt that way about Catholics and most Protestants I know don't see Catholics as "enemies." I know some do, but most Protestants stopped "fighting a war" against Catholics 500 years ago.

Don't hold the few against the many.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310167671' post='2264727']
[b]Well the Demon Callers (Protestants) like to hold this against Catholics[/b]. Yet another area Protestants are misinformed on....Child Molestation being more a problem in the Catholic Church than in their church. The reality is it is more a problem in their church. Yet its not talked about. Maybe all the news we have been seeing should have been more about Child molestation in Churches. As opposed to Child molestation by Catholic Priests.

[url="http://www.bilerico.com/2010/04/the_other_shoe_child_molesting_by_non-catholic_cle.php"]http://www.bilerico....atholic_cle.php[/url]
[/quote]

Please read the Phorum Guidelines of Phatmass. It is against the rules to make statements against other religions, especially something such as calling Protestants "Demon Callers."

infinitelord1

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310168332' post='2264734']
Don't lump all Protestants into one group that thinks alike.

I certainly have never felt that way about Catholics and most Protestants I know don't see Catholics as "enemies." I know some do, but most Protestants stopped "fighting a war" against Catholics 500 years ago.

Don't hold the few against the many.
[/quote]

I have grown up around Baptists, Oneness Pentecostals, Non-Denominationals, etc. They do still frown upon Catholics. I have not had many good experiences around those people. They always end up being rude to me because they know they can't convert me. It's not the people that I dislike. Its the Mind set. They are rude, manipulative, and controlling. A lot of times its a power game to them. Think about it....if you are not "saved" then you are not a Christian in their opinion.

I don't believe they are all this way. I would definitely trust an Anglican much much more than a Puritan. Anglicans are very close to Catholic if I am not mistaken.

infinitelord1

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310167921' post='2264731']
The secrecy of the confessional is important for a number of reasons--and I don't think it's the problem.

Is the priest REQUIRED to give absolution? (I honestly don't know.) Or can the priest make absolution conditional on the pedophile turning themselves into the police? If nothing else, the priest can try to convince the pedophile to turn themselves in.

If a child confesses being molested to the priest, the priest can help the child realize that he or she is not responsible, and can help convince the child to report the incident and support the child during the reporting process.
[/quote]

If I were a Priest I would instruct a Murderer, Child Molester, etc. to turn themselves in as their Penance.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1310168589' post='2264738']
Please read the Phorum Guidelines of Phatmass. It is against the rules to make statements against other religions, especially something such as calling Protestants "Demon Callers."
[/quote]

With all do respect....this is not a statement against other religions. This is the Truth.

I've heard many people say that Catholic priests are more likely to be pedophiles because they can't get married. It's a very widely held ridiculous belief. I think that the Catholic clergy receives more attention by the news media because of the size and organization on the Catholic church. There was a horrifying child abuse story from a Christian church in Atlanta several years ago, but it never made national news. I always assumed that no one else noticed because it was a local church, not an international church whose leader can call the president.

In 2000 and 2001, an investigation into NY City public school teachers found a large number of sexual abuse complaints. If I remember correctly, it made page 6 of the Sunday paper. [url="http://www.nypost.com/p/news/item_IGmFG437dEYB9jg6CAY6TO"]Here's a link[/url] to one of the stories.

homeschoolmom

What is a Demon Caller? :blink: Because I can't see how that is conducive to inter-religious dialogue per the guidelines:
•NEGATIVE CRITICISM OF OTHER RELIGIONS - A post or comment that negatively criticizes a different religion in a way that is harmful to open ecumenical dialogue.

infinitelord1

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1310173017' post='2264764']
What is a Demon Caller? :blink: Because I can't see how that is conducive to inter-religious dialogue per the guidelines:
•NEGATIVE CRITICISM OF OTHER RELIGIONS - A post or comment that negatively criticizes a different religion in a way that is harmful to open ecumenical dialogue.
[/quote]

I have seen Protestants from different denominations accuse other human beings of being demons.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310173065' post='2264765']
I have seen Protestants from different denominations accuse other human beings of being demons.
[/quote]
How does that apply to Phatmass? Are you saying "Demon Callers" is the name of a Protestant group?

IgnatiusofLoyola

Thanks HomeSchoolMom--I tried to report this using my "Report" button, but got an error message, so I sent a PM to MissScripture, since she was the first mod I found.

infinitelord1

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1310174005' post='2264768']
How does that apply to Phatmass? Are you saying "Demon Callers" is the name of a Protestant group?
[/quote]

I'm saying that certain protestant sects are known for accusing people of being demons.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1310174311' post='2264770']
I'm saying that certain protestant sects are known for accusing people of being demons.
[/quote]

That was not what you said above. You used the name "Demon Callers" as another word for Protestants, specifically in your post at 6:27 pm.

[quote]Well the Demon Callers (Protestants) like to hold this against Catholics. Yet another area Protestants are misinformed on........[/quote]