Vincent Vega Posted July 16, 2011 Posted July 16, 2011 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1310841603' post='2268256'] Yay! I play flute, and usually have a great lung capacity, but I didn't bring it out here with me and consequently haven't played in 2-3 months. When I get it back, though... [/quote] Cause the flute takes so much air. Love, Trumpet players and Bagpipers (Cosigned by every other wind players except piccoloists)
Deus te Amat Posted July 16, 2011 Author Posted July 16, 2011 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1310852501' post='2268335'] Cause the flute takes so much air. Love, Trumpet players and Bagpipers (Cosigned by every other wind players except piccoloists) [/quote] The flute takes more air than Trumpet/Trombone/French Horn/Clarinet/ Oboe/ Sax etc, because half the air doesn't even make it into the instrument! Shows how much you know about wind instruments... Have you ever even tried to play the flute? I guarantee you'll be light headed momentarily. (And yes, I have played trumpet and clarinet, fiddled on trombone and sax).
Vincent Vega Posted July 17, 2011 Posted July 17, 2011 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1310852645' post='2268339'] The flute takes more air than Trumpet/Trombone/French Horn/Clarinet/ Oboe/ Sax etc, because half the air doesn't even make it into the instrument! [/quote] Two times .00005 is only .0001.
Deus te Amat Posted July 17, 2011 Author Posted July 17, 2011 How long can you hold a note on your trumpet? In tune?
Vincent Vega Posted July 17, 2011 Posted July 17, 2011 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1310867461' post='2268487'] How long can you hold a note on your trumpet? In tune? [/quote] Well after eight years and five marching seasons and an extensive breath training regime...hm, probably anywhere between 45 and 70 to 80 seconds based on where on the register the note is and dynamic level.
Maximilianus Posted July 17, 2011 Posted July 17, 2011 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1310867461' post='2268487'] How long can you hold a note on your trumpet? In tune? [/quote] Trumpet? I thought he played the carillon.
Vincent Vega Posted July 17, 2011 Posted July 17, 2011 [quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1310867631' post='2268491'] Trumpet? I thought he played the carillon. [/quote] Hush you! Carillon means trumpet in Cantonese.
Deus te Amat Posted July 17, 2011 Author Posted July 17, 2011 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1310867616' post='2268490'] Well after eight years and five marching seasons and an extensive breath training regime...hm, probably anywhere between 45 and 70 to 80 seconds based on where on the register the note is and dynamic level. [/quote] After 10 years of flute playing, marching band, lessons, etc, I can hold a tuning note, (middle A) for just over 30 seconds, and that is considered "good" or above average for a flutist that is not professional, nor able to circular breathe. Try googling it. The few articles and comments I saw seemed to agree with my stance. But you can do your own research.
Deus te Amat Posted July 17, 2011 Author Posted July 17, 2011 [url="http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_band_instrument_requires_the_most_air"]From wiki answers[/url]
MissScripture Posted July 17, 2011 Posted July 17, 2011 I was told by my band director in high school that she had read a study that, for whatever, reason, people who play clarinet can hold notes the longest on average. (That doesn't mean they use the most air, though) And sax players have the shortest life span on average. I think they were different studies...
franciscanheart Posted July 18, 2011 Posted July 18, 2011 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1310841603' post='2268256'] Thanks for the tips. Today was much better. I took deep breaths and didn't run out of breath as quickly. I need to work on the speedwalking though. Also, at the end of my half hour, I thought I'd see how long I could run. I made it 4 minutes, and I think I could have kept going. That's almost twice as much as the a similar test I did at the beginning of the week. AND I feel great. I'm happy, and when I'm not running, I'm counting down the hours til my next run (even if getting out the door is sometimes a bit difficult ). What's the Tour de Fleur? And can we do it in the winter? lol. [/quote] I guarantee you can run for a solid ten minutes if you aren't too focused on running out of breath, how long it's been, etc. Tour de Fleur is a 10k at the Dallas Aboretum. It's a good race. You should do the White Rock in December! They have a half marathon on that course.
Deus te Amat Posted July 18, 2011 Author Posted July 18, 2011 [quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1310958642' post='2269152'] I guarantee you can run for a solid ten minutes if you aren't too focused on running out of breath, how long it's been, etc. Tour de Fleur is a 10k at the Dallas Aboretum. It's a good race. You should do the White Rock in December! They have a half marathon on that course. [/quote] A 10 K?!?!?!?! HALF MARATHON?!?!?!?! Are you CRAZY?
franciscanheart Posted July 18, 2011 Posted July 18, 2011 No one said you had to run the whole half. Run/walk is good. Also: 10K will be way doable in NO TIME.
Deus te Amat Posted July 18, 2011 Author Posted July 18, 2011 Baby steps. When is the 10K? I should probably run a 5K first, don't you think? Also, did you get my text? And have you read my books yet?
franciscanheart Posted July 18, 2011 Posted July 18, 2011 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1310962696' post='2269206'] Baby steps. When is the 10K? I should probably run a 5K first, don't you think? Also, did you get my text? And have you read my books yet? [/quote] 5Ks happen all the time and you could totally run one right now. TOTALLY. Re: Tour des Fleurs - Sept 17 Re: Books - no. They're still sitting next to my bed. I should just bring them back when I go to see our SD. Re: text message - yes.
Deus te Amat Posted July 18, 2011 Author Posted July 18, 2011 (edited) Week 2, day 1: Success Although, I ran on an empty stomach (I don't have a car here, or a way to get to a grocery store, really), and now I'm STARVING. I'm getting food, soon, though. Promise. Edited July 18, 2011 by Deus_te_Amat
Maximilianus Posted July 18, 2011 Posted July 18, 2011 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1310960098' post='2269181'] A 10 K?!?!?!?! HALF MARATHON?!?!?!?! Are you CRAZY? [/quote] 10k is only a quarter of an marathon. No comment on Franny's sanity.
franciscanheart Posted July 18, 2011 Posted July 18, 2011 [quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1311008472' post='2269483'] 10k is only a quarter of an marathon. No comment on Franny's sanity. [/quote] I suggested both a 10K and a half maraton, three months apart.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now