sistersintigo Posted July 21, 2011 Posted July 21, 2011 [quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1311199546' post='2271996'] Okay, folks. This is what I know. Hutterites, along with Amish and Mennonites, and probably a bunch of others, are in the Anabaptist tradition of the Radical Reformation. Doctrinally, they are going to be similar. Adult baptism, literal seriously-not-messing-around interpretation of the Sermon on the Mount, etc. Hutterites seem to be distinct among Anabaptists by living more communally. Almost like a monastery, with most things owned in common, careers are generally chosen according to what the community needs. (We could really use some more medical care, so let's send the next young adult off to become a nurse practitioner. I met someone who lived in a Bruderhof community who had exactly that story.) Much like a monastic way of life, except people get married and you can be born into it rather than clearly choosing such a vocation. (Although through history there were lots of child oblates given to monasteries who did not ever choose such a life. That may not be SO different.) The discussion of massive farming operations and buying up land -- I don't know, but it reminded me a lot of the monasteries in the old days where the monks (or nuns) did not own anything as individuals but the community was often (and was expected to be!) quite wealthy indeed, with vast holdings. I could easily see how the Hutterites' emphasis on communal living would provide a huge economic advantage over individual families. [/quote] I own a one-volume "History of the Amish" by a Mennonite author, last name Nolt, in Indiana. I looked up Hutterite in there. Nolt confined himself to roughly one page of remarks about Amish-Hutterite interaction in central/eastern Europe during the eighteenth century. The author wrote that on one specific occation, the Amish tried moving in with Hutterites. That mixture lasted no more than a year. The author specifies that the Hutterite's "strenuous work ethic" was a bit much even for Amish households. The Amish families "left in disgust," letting it be known that the Hutterites preferred material success to anything else. Nolt observes that even though both groups have Anabaptist roots, their expression of their faith is as different as it is related. He did not bother to write about Hutterites west of the Atlantic Ocean, although there are many chapters about Amish in the Americas and their relations with Mennonites.
Laudate_Dominum Posted July 22, 2011 Posted July 22, 2011 [url="http://www.amazon.com/Best-Amish-Romance/lm/R34XUC49MCNXJ1/"]Best Amish Romance[/url]
Papist Posted July 22, 2011 Posted July 22, 2011 [quote name='IrishGermanNorwegian' timestamp='1311123310' post='2270535'] I dislike the Hutterites almost as much as I hate shellfish. I blame this cult for the Urbanization trend that has been extremely prevalent in the Midwest following WWII. You agree or disagree with me? [/quote] And they all are homophobes going straight to hell. For the Glory of God.
ImageTrinity Posted July 22, 2011 Posted July 22, 2011 I grew up in a Bruderhof community and would be happy to answer any questions. I'd prefer to do so by PM though.
Socrates Posted July 22, 2011 Posted July 22, 2011 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1311192282' post='2271869'] Also I went to the site and read the reviews. THOSE are the types of people who follow the Austrian School? Wow. (I'd post excerpts but they're not fit for a Catholic site or for mixed company). [/quote]Is that supposed to be an argument against Austrian economics? In my experience, comments and reviews sections on teh interwebz tend to bring out the most vulgar kind of people, and it looks like it was started by a non-Austrian troll. [quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1311199546' post='2271996'] Christians should never hold political office, in this view. Or serve in the military. Or be a police officer. Traditionally, Anabaptists wouldn't even VOTE. [/quote] Sounds rather like Sternhauser.
Vincent Vega Posted July 22, 2011 Posted July 22, 2011 [quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1311358374' post='2273903'] Is that supposed to be an argument against Austrian economics? [/quote] No, I don't know enough about economics to be able to form a legitimate opinion (and I don't care enough to inform myself). I was just expecting it to be mainly stuffy old guys rather than those sorts.
Nihil Obstat Posted July 22, 2011 Posted July 22, 2011 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1311362889' post='2273939'] No, I don't know enough about economics to be able to form a legitimate opinion (and I don't care enough to inform myself). I was just expecting it to be mainly stuffy old guys rather than those sorts. [/quote] There's lots of stuffy old guys, rather too many (for my taste) obnoxiously militant atheists or anti-Christians, and then many fascinating people of all sorts of backgrounds, some of whom happen to be very polite atheists, right up to devout Catholics.
Roamin Catholic Posted May 11, 2013 Posted May 11, 2013 I dislike the Hutterites almost as much as I hate shellfish. I blame this cult for the Urbanization trend that has been extremely prevalent in the Midwest following WWII. You agree or disagree with me? I miss you
Nihil Obstat Posted May 11, 2013 Posted May 11, 2013 I miss you Is he still banned? I would rather have a hundred threads like this instead of another single one on gun control.
dominicansoul Posted May 11, 2013 Posted May 11, 2013 Is he still banned? I would rather have a hundred threads like this instead of another single one on gun control. or modesty
WillT Posted May 11, 2013 Posted May 11, 2013 Is he still banned? I would rather have a hundred threads like this instead of another single one on gun control. So that's what happened? Didn't realize he was banned.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 11, 2013 Posted May 11, 2013 (edited) or modesty At this point I am more sick of people being all butthurt about modesty threads than I am of the threads themselves. :hehe: So that's what happened? Didn't realize he was banned. I think he has been banned several times under different SNs. You would have to ask someone else though. Edited May 11, 2013 by Nihil Obstat
vee Posted May 11, 2013 Posted May 11, 2013 At this point I am more sick of people being all butthurt about modesty threads than I am of the threads themselves. :hehe: Im sick of people being butthurt over others being butthurt over something :|
Nihil Obstat Posted May 11, 2013 Posted May 11, 2013 Im sick of people being butthurt over others being butthurt over something :| I am sick of everyone pretending they do not agree with me all the time. :| :| :|
WillT Posted May 11, 2013 Posted May 11, 2013 I am sick of everyone pretending they do not agree with me all the time. :| :| :| Me too.
homeschoolmom Posted May 9, 2016 Posted May 9, 2016 Another pm classic. How I miss the halcyon days of arguing with Catholicinsd.
MIKolbe Posted May 9, 2016 Posted May 9, 2016 On 7/19/2011, 8:56:47, homeschoolmom said: The Hutterites love you, though. this quote is money.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now