An Old School Catholic Message Board

Leaving The Monastery

Starets

Thank you for continued prayers and thoughts. Pluscarden is out as they do not accept candidates from outside the EC, apparently. Probably because of the paperwork involved with immigration! I had contacted Westminster in BC but have not heard a peep fromj them. O well.

InPersonaChriste

Wesminister in BC is really busy this time of year. I have two brothers who attended minor seminary there. The abbot is good and Fr. Peter is the most hardcore, happy, amazing monk I have ever met.

Well, I received a letter from my grandmother Yesterday. she was very upset about the leaving too. I hate making 95 year olds cry. So please pray for the peace of mind of my grandmother! She remembered how happy I was when I came up for her birthday party last summer. I will have to explain to her about the PTSD and how it causes me to overreact to stressful situations and such like. I will also tell her how it has also given me the strength and compassion to be a friend to some veryu damaged people over the years. she doesn't know about that.

I am fine. Still waiting for news of who the new superior of Petersham will be. That should be decided in about a week and a half.

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1316026114' post='2304656']
Well, I received a letter from my grandmother Yesterday. she was very upset about the leaving too. I hate making 95 year olds cry. So please pray for the peace of mind of my grandmother! She remembered how happy I was when I came up for her birthday party last summer. I will have to explain to her about the PTSD and how it causes me to overreact to stressful situations and such like. I will also tell her how it has also given me the strength and compassion to be a friend to some veryu damaged people over the years. she doesn't know about that.

I am fine. Still waiting for news of who the new superior of Petersham will be. That should be decided in about a week and a half.
[/quote]

Telling family and friends [i]is[/i] painful, but don't beat yourself up over it, try to remember that this is all part of your journey.

The wait must be very strange and I cannot imagine how that feels. When I was sent away I left in 20hrs and was not allowed to say goodbye to most of the sisters, so its a very different situation. What I would say, though, is routine can be extremely beneficial to stop yourself going mad, so as you are still in the monastery at present, try to carry on as normal as far as you can, even if its only going through the motions.

You remain in my prayers xx

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1316026114' post='2304656']

[/quote]
I will definitely be praying for your grandmother. Also prayers for them finding a new superior of Petersham. Hopefully things will work themselves out here soon.

• 2 weeks later...

St. Mary's in Petersham has a new superior now. It is Fr. Gregory, their only "homegrown" priest. I sent off an email to him yesterday. Today through wednesday is their community retreat so I will not hear anything for another week. But at least I am moving forward. I still have another year left on my R1 Visa. My current abbot is trying to move me onto an immigrant visa but there have been a couple snags. There have been some changes in the relevant laws since my arrival and that is complicating things. If they can be resolved before the visa expires then I can probably get permanent residency very easily. so by this time next week I should have a clearer idea of what my next step will be. I am continuing on with my prayers and intercessions, and I am grateful for your prayers in this awkward transition.

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1316785387' post='2308891']
St. Mary's in Petersham has a new superior now. It is Fr. Gregory, their only "homegrown" priest. I sent off an email to him yesterday. Today through wednesday is their community retreat so I will not hear anything for another week. But at least I am moving forward. I still have another year left on my R1 Visa. My current abbot is trying to move me onto an immigrant visa but there have been a couple snags. There have been some changes in the relevant laws since my arrival and that is complicating things. If they can be resolved before the visa expires then I can probably get permanent residency very easily. so by this time next week I should have a clearer idea of what my next step will be. I am continuing on with my prayers and intercessions, and I am grateful for your prayers in this awkward transition.
[/quote]

Prayers for you. Today begins the Novena to St. Therese of Lisieux (a special intention for you)

United in Him,
HB

AccountDeleted

[quote] Staretz, on 24 September 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

St. Mary's in Petersham has a new superior now. It is Fr. Gregory, their only "homegrown" priest. I sent off an email to him yesterday. Today through wednesday is their community retreat so I will not hear anything for another week. But at least I am moving forward. I still have another year left on my R1 Visa. My current abbot is trying to move me onto an immigrant visa but there have been a couple snags. There have been some changes in the relevant laws since my arrival and that is complicating things. If they can be resolved before the visa expires then I can probably get permanent residency very easily. so by this time next week I should have a clearer idea of what my next step will be. I am continuing on with my prayers and intercessions, and I am grateful for your prayers in this awkward transition.[/quote]

I am keeping you in my prayers. You are being very brave about it all - and are an inspiration to all of us. Visas are one of the real pains of this world - aren't they? I am not looking forward to having to go through all the visa stuff again when I go to England for good. The first time I will just go on a visitor visa, but the resident one is so complex - sigh. So my prayers are for all your visa problems as well!

I got a positive response later this mornign, as it turns out. I can either ask for my vows to be renewed, or let the expire and start from scratch. Either way I could start with the discernment and probation later this year and it would be 5 years before I would be eligible for solemn profession. The superior would like a recommendation from Abbot Philip and then would like permission to talk to my counsellor. That should not be too hard to arrange.

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1316816421' post='2309031']
I got a positive response later this mornign, as it turns out. I can either ask for my vows to be renewed, or let the expire and start from scratch. Either way I could start with the discernment and probation later this year and it would be 5 years before I would be eligible for solemn profession. The superior would like a recommendation from Abbot Philip and then would like permission to talk to my counsellor. That should not be too hard to arrange.
[/quote]

That's good news (I think?)! Continued prayers for you!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1316816421' post='2309031']
[/quote]

Oh how wonderful that sounds. Whatever you decide, our prayers are with you.