An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

I read not long ago about a new Carmel built in the UK, in Scotland I think where each nun had her own en suite bathroom. I was quite shocked at this as it hardly seemed in keeping with the vow of poverty. I thought maybe I'm old fashioned. I mentioned it to a friend and she thought the same. Nobody expects nuns to live in primitive conditions but there shouldn't be luxuries as a matter of everday living like this I don't think.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317063452' post='2310525']
See? You have that wonderful benefit of being with them! Trust me, whatever bathing customs/practices a community has will have no bearing on my discernment. I tend to have a very inquisitive mind & enjoy reading all of these postings. 'Tis great fun! I'd give you props TB, but I seem to have run out of 'em for the day...funny that. :huh:
[/quote]

Again, true! I do have the benefit of being with them. Although, I'd decided and was accepted for entrance for a year before moving in. So it's accidental that I'm learning it as a lay person instead of a religious. ;)

[quote name='GraceUk' timestamp='1317064317' post='2310536']
I read not long ago about a new Carmel built in the UK, in Scotland I think where each nun had her own en suite bathroom. I was quite shocked at this as it hardly seemed in keeping with the vow of poverty. I thought maybe I'm old fashioned. I mentioned it to a friend and she thought the same. Nobody expects nuns to live in primitive conditions but there shouldn't be luxuries as a matter of everday living like this I don't think.
[/quote]

I visited a carmel in the US where the nuns had their bathrooms in suite. They explained why (I think it but I have forgotten) I don't think it is a matter of luxury.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1317064401' post='2310537']

Again, true! I do have the benefit of being with them. Although, I'd decided and was accepted for entrance for a year before moving in. So it's accidental that I'm learning it as a lay person instead of a religious. ;)
[/quote]

I just think it is so amesome :blush: .

[/quote]

My immediate reaction to this was horror. But the community there had given it a lot of thought and decided that a simple ensuite would help them preserve not only silence but also solitude. With a new build, even a Carmel would be expected to have an adequate number of toilets and washing facilities, so I can understand why some have now done this (Malahide in Dublin have as well). I wouldn't be over keen on monasteries that are working perfectly well as they are to be altered, but I can understand the sense with a new build.

brandelynmarie

[/quote]

My only thought (if it's a new buidling) is that such an arrangement could be more conducive to "living in the [s]dessert [/s]desert" as Carmelites. :anyone:

Thanks Faith! I knew you would have a good answer!

Edited by brandelynmarie

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317064863' post='2310547']

My immediate reaction to this was horror. But the community there had given it a lot of thought and decided that a simple ensuite would help them preserve not only silence but also solitude. With a new build, even a Carmel would be expected to have an adequate number of toilets and washing facilities, so I can understand why some have now done this (Malahide in Dublin have as well). I wouldn't be over keen on monasteries that are working perfectly well as they are to be altered, but I can understand the sense with a new build.
[/quote]

That's it the solitude.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1317065163' post='2310552']

That's it the solitude.
[/quote]

Yes, its something that tends to be harder to find in modern Carmels as much of the work these days involves being with other sisters far more than in the 'old days' when needlework etc would be done in the cell.

We don't have any shower/bathing rules... everyone is responsible for herself. Of course if someone isn't very hygenically consciensious there would be some kind of encouragement/instruction in novitiate as to the european cultural norms of personal cleanliness. Most people are expected to know this when the enter the convent, however.

oh, i forgot to mention that at one dominican convent, there was a time limit, 5 mins to get in and out of a shower. Sometimes the water would NEVER heat up enuff in that short time. Cold showers became common for me... and I mean... bone-chilling cold showers...

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1317065732' post='2310558']
oh, i forgot to mention that at one dominican convent, there was a time limit, 5 mins to get in and out of a shower. Sometimes the water would NEVER heat up enuff in that short time. Cold showers became common for me... and I mean... bone-chilling cold showers...
[/quote]

ouch. 5 minutes!!! 5 minutes!!! I can barely wash and exfoliate my face in 10 minutes. However will I survive??

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1317065963' post='2310562']

ouch. 5 minutes!!! 5 minutes!!! I can barely wash and exfoliate my face in 10 minutes. However will I survive??
[/quote]

Well, you won't be exfoliating! :hehe2:

Unless you are given a rough flannel.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317066041' post='2310563']

[/quote]

No exfoliating? Not even once a week? Le gasp, le big gasp.

brandelynmarie

Most days I can be in & out of the shower, dried off & dressed in less than 10 minutes, so this may be a good thing! However, there are days when I need (want?) a more leisurely bath time....I'm going on a private retreat next week at St. Emma's & the sister who is in charge of it mentioned I will have a choice of shower or tub at the retreat house. She mentioned that the tub would be a good spot for meditation ( a good long soak!) :) . I think I may get spoiled there, lol.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317066041' post='2310563']

[/quote]

:hehe2:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317066318' post='2310569']
Most days I can be in & out of the shower, dried off & dressed in less than 10 minutes, so this may be a good thing! However, there are days when I need (want?) a more leisurely bath time....I'm going on a private retreat next week at St. Emma's & the sister who is in charge of it mentioned I will have a choice of shower or tub at the retreat house. She mentioned that the tub would be a good spot for meditation ( a good long soak!) :) . I think I may get spoiled there, lol.

:hehe2:
[/quote]

D'you know, earlier this evening I thought to myself that the only thing I would change about the guesthouse here is I would add a bath!