An Old School Catholic Message Board

Colwich Benedictine Monastery

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1317638190' post='2314484']
Can someone kindly post a link to the blog? I can't find it. Thanks.
[/quote]

[url="http://colwichnov.wordpress.com/"]http://colwichnov.wordpress.com/[/url]

Scroll down to the archives on the right side to see old posts.... years worth!

Oh they seem to be such a lovely community. I'd love to pray/visit there someday. Truly Benedictine Spirit of loving hospitality. ( with some of that Franciscan love of animals thrown into the mix!) When with the Poor Clares, we took a trip to see the Holy Father in Chicago, and stayed at another PC Monastery while there. On the way home,, when at a gas station someone was giving away PUPPIES! A couple of the nuns thought it would be great to bring one home! ( I could already see the response of some of the nuns to this) Soooo, many were thrilled and a few were NOT, and the non animal folks eventually won out)

Edited by TIWW

faithcecelia

[quote name='TIWW' timestamp='1317659386' post='2314644']
Oh they seem to be such a lovely community. I'd love to pray/visit there someday. Truly Benedictine Spirit of loving hospitality. ( with some of that Franciscan love of animals thrown into the mix!) When with the Poor Clares, we took a trip to see the Holy Father in Chicago, and stayed at another PC Monastery while there. On the way home,, when at a gas station someone was giving away PUPPIES! A couple of the nuns thought it would be great to bring one home! ( I could already see the response of some of the nuns to this) Soooo, many were thrilled and a few were NOT, and the non animal folks eventually won out)
[/quote]

Oh what a shame! Q were dead against pets in convents, but NH have 3 cats and a dog. Technically the dog is an extern, but he comes in to play in the garden.

brandelynmarie

The dog is an extern?! rotfl I think pets can be very beneficial as long as they contribute to a sense of family & are not interrupting monastery life. As I've I said somewhere else. "Peace is a prayer on the lips & a cat in the lap." [u]The Little Monk[/u] (Of course I wouldn't mind a bird &/or a dog either!) My family once had Jake, the 80+ lb. black lab, who thought he was a lap dog! I kinda miss him :sad:

faithcecelia

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317695962' post='2314986']
The dog is an extern?! rotfl
[/quote]

Yep, he was bought to keep the extern sister company :smile4:

AccountDeleted

We had five dogs at Nedlands - I think that was a bit too many.

We had three cats at Wolverhampton.

No pets at either Edmonton or Kirk Edge.Interesting how some communities like them and others don't.

faithcecelia

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317720799' post='2315062']
We had five dogs at Nedlands - I think that was a bit too many.

We had three cats at Wolverhampton.

No pets at either Edmonton or Kirk Edge.Interesting how some communities like them and others don't.
[/quote]

Gosh, I don't think i could handle FIVE dogs, but one and his friend who comes to play seems okay. Cats are easier as they fend for themselves more. We used to have a lovely cat that visited at Q, but the frogs and sheep were my friends :P

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317721499' post='2315065']

Gosh, I don't think i could handle FIVE dogs, but one and his friend who comes to play seems okay. Cats are easier as they fend for themselves more. We used to have a lovely cat that visited at Q, but the frogs and sheep were my friends :P
[/quote]

I remember the days when I had five horses! And cats and dogs etc etc... I used to own a ranch! Now I have no pets, even though I love animals. I just have been in one place long enough to make that sensible for the animal.

AccountDeleted

I'd like to ask for some VSer prayers. I wrote to Mother today to ask if we could change the guest visit next Feb to a guest visit, short break (where I would stay with my friend) and then a live-in if they liked me. The reason for this is to save money on another trip back there (at a cost of over $3000AUD) for the live-in. I would then come back to my job and flat while everyone did some thiking and praying, while saving up money to pay for another trip back to the UK if they say yes to entrance. It just seems so practical for me not to have to make three trips over there if we can do it in two.... but she might not see it that way so I need prayers that she will agree.

I can get up to a month off work for annual leave so I know we could work it out time-wise, if she is open to the idea. I know the ideal would be for me to go for the guest visit, then come back here and then later go back for the live-in and then come back again.... that is how they do it for the UK residents, but let's face it, Australia is literally at the end of the world, and the travel back and forth isn't easy, not only from a financial perspective, but also from a work-based one, as trying to get more time off again might not be that easy. Jobs aren't easy to come by in this small country town, so I can't afford to lose mine by taking time off without their agreement. The days when I could just quit a job and find another one easily are long over!

So, please, prayers...

In other news, my sister phoned me tonight and we had a long talk, including my plans for the convent. All she wants is for me to be happy, so naturally she is concerned that things won't work out for me again. She wants me to stay here and get a better job, and perhaps even move closer to Melbourne (and her), but she is so supportive of my dreams that she doesn't try to discourage me but supports whatever I choose to do -- isn't that sweet? So whatever happens, I know that she is there for me, and that really feels good. I am trying to take each day as it comes, and not to get too far into the future, or dwell too much on what has happened in tht past, but since there are practical things like booking flights to think about, and annual leave to schedule with my boss, so it would be good if I could hear back from Colwich about this.

So, keep those lovely VS prayers coming please :pray: :) :nun:

faithcecelia

Lots of prayers for you nunsense. I can completely understand the practical side and pray it will work out in a way that is sensible both financially and spiritually.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1318156659' post='2318483']
Lots of prayers for you nunsense. I can completely understand the practical side and pray it will work out in a way that is sensible both financially and spiritually.
[/quote]

Thanks faith. It would be nice if everything were able to be done on the spiritual plane, but let's face it - the world requires our responses, and we just have to be practical about some things!!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='bernadette d' timestamp='1318165789' post='2318494']
Praying for you, and sending you love. I think you are truly blessed in your sister (and she in you)
[/quote]

Yes, God has blessed me with a lot with my sister. she and I weren't all that close over the years since she and I are five years apart (she is younger) and I used to be closer to my older sister who is only a year older -- but after I got kicked out of Kirk Edge and came back to Oz, this sister stepped up and started helping and supporting me so much that we have become very close now. God obviously has His own plans. Tonight she encouraged me to watch the Steve Jobs video of his commencement speed at Standford (2005 I think) because she said it would help me to follow my dreams and she was so right! I just finished it and he said so much that was quotable and dealth with issues like facing death and being happy and following one's heart and all kinds of things.

And what was especially significant to me was his description of being fired from Apple, the company he helped to found, and how at the time he couldn't see what he can now that he is looking back, that all the dots connected to lead him to where he is today, having created Pixar and Next and meeting his wife and starting a family and then having Apple by out Next and hire him back again etc. He said we can't see how the dots connect if we look forward, but later when we look back, we can see how they all connect. Despite my trust in God, sometimes I have really wondered why everything has had to happen to me the way that is has, and yet the story isn't over yet, and one day when I look back, I'm sure it will all make sense, and all the dots will connect.

Another thing he said was that we need to keep looking at our lives as if we were going to die soon and ask ourselves if we are doing what we want to be doing before that happens. And no, I am not. So whatever fears or doubts I might have about what I hope to do, I have to push them aside to follow my heart. I also like that he told us not to worry about what others think about what we are doing, that we can't live for the opinions of others. And of course, his final quote was from the last issue of the Whole Earth Catalogue, which was 'stay hungry, stay foolish'. That pretty much sums up the attitude I want, which is to stay hungry for the possibilities God is offering me and to stay foolish enough to ignore the fears and doubts.

Then my sister wrote an email to me asking if I needed financial help to get the documents I need to go to England. I don't because I am working now, but I just thought that was so sweet of her to offer. Here is a person who is a non-Catholic (agnostic) but who completely respects my faith and shows me more charity than many nuns I have known! So, one day when I look back to see how the dots all connect, I will know for sure that one of the reasons I had to leave KE was to come here and develop a close personal relationship with my own sister and to get advice from Steve Jobs :P !!