An Old School Catholic Message Board

Live-In Countdown 2011 ^o^

the171

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1319555908' post='2326844']
If I am called I will ask to enter at my young age, though if my parents say no I will understand. This is a huge step for my parents. They are both from broken families, and my mother was a convert. I think its hard for both of them, but mostly for my mom. She has warmed up to the idea through my almost 5 years of discernment. But I can still see some cautious steps toward this calling. Which I actually find comforting. That she finds this indimidating as well.

My dad will be proud of me no matter what I do, I am so blessed to have supportive parents. One in-law found out I was in discernment, and before I left Chile she told me; "do not become a nun" . And my brother in law said that I was too beautiful and talented to become a nun. But I think he might have meant something different because of the huge language barrier.

Oh and it helps LOADS to bring the parents. God arranged for a sit in at the Visitation Nuns convent in Chile, where my married sister, her husband, and my mom were present. It really helped my mom see the beauty in the vocation. I know that she already knew about it, but I think knowing and seeing are something completely different in cases such as these.
[/quote]
My parents and siblings (my siblings are all younger than me) are incredibly supportive of my vocation, which after hearing many stories, I am very thankful for. My extended family is, on the other hand, not really supportive at all, some pretend to be "proud of me", but I am pretty sure they just think I am weird. the rest of them are not supportive whatsoever, my one grandmother thinks that I feel called to be a nun because I want to escape from reality. I argue with her a lot, and that is hard. I have come to adopt Catholic family from my Church and wherever else I find them. It is still hard though, because I will always know that my adopted aunt who is totally supportive and even hyped-up about my vocation, will never really be my aunt. And my real aunts will never be as supportive as I want them to be. I can kind of feel for you, it is so, so hard. My extended family I suppose is my cross, because that one grandmother is always challenging the Faith, and it is just hard.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1319570210' post='2326935']
My parents and siblings (my siblings are all younger than me) are incredibly supportive of my vocation, which after hearing many stories, I am very thankful for. My extended family is, on the other hand, not really supportive at all, some pretend to be "proud of me", but I am pretty sure they just think I am weird. the rest of them are not supportive whatsoever, my one grandmother thinks that I feel called to be a nun because I want to escape from reality. I argue with her a lot, and that is hard. I have come to adopt Catholic family from my Church and wherever else I find them. It is still hard though, because I will always know that my adopted aunt who is totally supportive and even hyped-up about my vocation, will never really be my aunt. And my real aunts will never be as supportive as I want them to be. I can kind of feel for you, it is so, so hard. My extended family I suppose is my cross, because that one grandmother is always challenging the Faith, and it is just hard.
[/quote]

Well your Church family [i]is[/i] your real family... you all have the same blood running in your veins - Christ's. I know what you mean though. And it's wonderful that your parents and siblings are supportive, however tentatively. So wonderful. I have that same thing with 'that one grandmother' :) ... I decided very early on to not rise to any of the baits, and just refuse to argue. For them, the religious language was going to go in one ear and out the other, so I phrased it in terms of 'this is what makes me happiest, and you've always said I should do what makes me happiest'. To my musical father, sister and aunt I made the analogy of, 'does a musician choose to be one, or is it something he can't help being?' I think they understood that. But arguing about it didn't get me anywhere, so I stopped, and lo and behold, things are slowly working out. I give thanks to God that I have had to fight to get this, and maybe look stupid in front of my family, because it means I won't take it for granted. Having to justify myself over and over has only made me want it more. So - blessings often come in disguise. I think it's great you seem so level-headed about it all :P

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319572417' post='2326952']

Well your Church family [i]is[/i] your real family... you all have the same blood running in your veins - Christ's. I know what you mean though. And it's wonderful that your parents and siblings are supportive, however tentatively. So wonderful. I have that same thing with 'that one grandmother' :) ... I decided very early on to not rise to any of the baits, and just refuse to argue. For them, the religious language was going to go in one ear and out the other, so I phrased it in terms of 'this is what makes me happiest, and you've always said I should do what makes me happiest'. To my musical father, sister and aunt I made the analogy of, 'does a musician choose to be one, or is it something he can't help being?' I think they understood that. But arguing about it didn't get me anywhere, so I stopped, and lo and behold, things are slowly working out. I give thanks to God that I have had to fight to get this, and maybe look stupid in front of my family, because it means I won't take it for granted. Having to justify myself over and over has only made me want it more. So - blessings often come in disguise. I think it's great you seem so level-headed about it all :P
[/quote]
My grandmother likes to turn my facebook statuses into something totally different, and my mom has told me several times that I could just block her from certain posts, and to that I said, "I don't post things so that I can block people, I post things because I want everyone else to see it." Are your parents not Orthodox? It is hard looking "stupid" in front of my family, but Jesus said, "If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you." So, yep. And you are right, my Church family IS my family. That helps. I am so thankful for my parents and my siblings, and that they are okay with everything that I am doing, and believe the same things I do. Oh, and your analogy was great.

Edited by FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1319575884' post='2326986']
My grandmother likes to turn my facebook statuses into something totally different, and my mom has told me several times that I could just block her from certain posts, and to that I said, "I don't post things so that I can block people, I post things because I want everyone else to see it." Are your parents not Orthodox? It is hard looking "stupid" in front of my family, but Jesus said, "If the world hate you, know ye, that it hath hated me before you." So, yep. And you are right, my Church family IS my family. That helps. I am so thankful for my parents and my siblings, and that they are okay with everything that I am doing, and believe the same things I do. Oh, and your analogy was great.
[/quote]

I think that's a good attitude. I don't have Facebook but in other situations in my life recently I had to decide whether to tell someone the whole truth or just part of the truth etc.... My parents aren't Orthodox, no. Hoping for the best for you! I will keep you in my prayers.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319615283' post='2327186']

I think that's a good attitude. I don't have Facebook but in other situations in my life recently I had to decide whether to tell someone the whole truth or just part of the truth etc.... My parents aren't Orthodox, no. Hoping for the best for you! I will keep you in my prayers.
[/quote]
Oh wow, that must be hard with your parents. Wow. Thank you, you are in mine as well.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hermanita' timestamp='1320427498' post='2331296']
I'm just stopping for gas and then will arrive at carmel. Please pray for me.

hermanita
[/quote]
Prayers!

Also 69 days (or 68 days and a wake up) till my come and see with the SMMC!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1320435870' post='2331354']
Prayers!

Also 69 days (or 68 days and a wake up) till my come and see with the SMMC!
[/quote]

this makes me squeal on the inside. :hehe2:

AccountDeleted

I have tried to avoid the old countdown thing with Colwich but it is hard not to think of these things, and I have been counting how many more work days until I go - lol!

As for actual days, I have 74 days and a wake up until I catch my flight to England and I arrive two days later (a long stop in Dubai) but with the time change, only the next day.... :P

It sounds better to me if I count paydays or something like that because I get paid every two weeks, so there are less of them than there are actual days!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1320471477' post='2331733']
I have tried to avoid the old countdown thing with Colwich but it is hard not to think of these things, and I have been counting how many more work days until I go - lol!

As for actual days, I have 74 days and a wake up until I catch my flight to England and I arrive two days later (a long stop in Dubai) but with the time change, only the next day.... :P

It sounds better to me if I count paydays or something like that because I get paid every two weeks, so there are less of them than there are actual days!
[/quote]

Oh, I know. For me 13 weeks sounds a lot less than 3 months, so that's what I call it in my head. I do cross off each day on the calendar before I go to bed - to encourage myself :) - but I haven't counted how many days are left.

74 days is only ten weeks! That's nothing at all :cupid:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1320471477' post='2331733']

[/quote]

As I got paid yesterday, I have just one more payday til I enter Notting Hill :o It suddenly felt close when I realised that.

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1320546786' post='2332112']
So 2 more weeks Faith? You are definitely between the now & the not yet... :)
[/quote]

10 days to my live-in, 79 til I move and hopefully about 90 until I enter! :w00t:

Edited by faithcecelia