An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trousseau For Carmel - What To Bring - Suggestions Welcome!

Aya Sophia

Ok, this has been on my mind. Could a community accept you and make your entrance date, say, two years or so from then? Also, doe anyone have any good, solid experience with Lafayette Carmel? I would ask Sr.Mary John, but I prefer not to call when I have questions and the Carmel is an hour and forty-five minutes away. Pax tecum :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319231105' post='2324826']
Ok, this has been on my mind. Could a community accept you and make your entrance date, say, two years or so from then? Also, doe anyone have any good, solid experience with Lafayette Carmel? I would ask Sr.Mary John, but I prefer not to call when I have questions and the Carmel is an hour and forty-five minutes away. Pax tecum :)
[/quote]

I can't help you with Lafayette Carmel, but we have had VS'ers who are accepted by a Community, but with a delayed entrance date, usually because the aspirant has debts that need to be paid off before she can enter. For example, I'm pretty sure Hopeful Bride is in this position right now. However, as with so many things, exactly how this is handled varies by Order and Community.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1319231670' post='2324830']

I can't help you with Lafayette Carmel, but we have had VS'ers who are accepted by a Community, but with a delayed entrance date, usually because the aspirant has debts that need to be paid off before she can enter. For example, I'm pretty sure Hopeful Bride is in this position right now. However, as with so many things, exactly how this is handled varies by Order and Community.
[/quote]

yes, this makes sense. I was just wondering. :) thanks

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319179735' post='2324541']
Apparently the correct way to cook frozen peas is to defrost them over night and then fry them. :twitch:
[/quote]

I'm going to have to turn in my Anglophile badge. I have heard of "mushy peas" as an English "delicacy," but never fried peas.

At least you had the comfort of knowing that this was an option that would NEVER have occured to you on your own. It's not as if there was some extra-nutritious, gourmet-quality, energy-efficient, and carbon footprint-reducing way to prepare frozen peas that everyone knew about except you.

How did you keep from moving at least a small labial muscle?

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Clare~Therese

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319179735' post='2324541']
Apparently the correct way to cook frozen peas is to defrost them over night and then fry them. :twitch:
[/quote]

[i]Fried[/i] peas?

:paperbag:

That sounds like something my father would eat.

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319231105' post='2324826']
[/quote]

Absolutely! Of course, it depends on the community since some have a set time for aspirancy, which cannot be longer than a year, but others allow 2 years or longer. My friend, who entered an active/contemplative community, was accepted in November 2007 but didn't enter until September 2009 because she was still finishing her college degree (with no debt). It's entirely possible. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319233167' post='2324847']

Absolutely! Of course, it depends on the community since some have a set time for aspirancy, which cannot be longer than a year, but others allow 2 years or longer. My friend, who entered an active/contemplative community, was accepted in November 2007 but didn't enter until September 2009 because she was still finishing her college degree (with no debt). It's entirely possible. :)
[/quote]

razzle dazzle deal :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319233770' post='2324856']

razzle dazzle deal :)
[/quote]

We'll still hope that someone turns up who can answer your questions about Lafayette Carmel!

Although there is some Internet information available on most Communities, I've been surprised that no one has decided to capitalize on the growth in vocations by publishing an "Aspirant's Guide to Religious Communities" kind of like the many college guides out there. Of course, certain sections of the guide would be omitted such as "Best Party Community." Then again, "party" does not have to mean the same thing as it does in college guides. We do know that some Communities go to more effort than others in celebrating Jubilees, feast days, etc.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1319234323' post='2324866']

We'll still hope that someone turns up who can answer your questions about Lafayette Carmel!

Although there is some Internet information available on most Communities, I've been surprised that no one has decided to capitalize on the growth in vocations by publishing an "Aspirant's Guide to Religious Communities" kind of like the many college guides out there. Of course, certain sections of the guide would be omitted such as "Best Party Community." Then again, "party" does not have to mean the same thing as it does in college guides. We do know that some Communities go to more effort than others in celebrating Jubilees, feast days, etc.
[/quote]

They do! There's a Guide to Religious vocations published every year... it has a full list of all American men and women's religious orders as well as lay volunteering opportunities.

Laffy has a site, but they don't update. :( They updated it for the first time in years in July or so for the final vows. GOSH, they need a step-by-step, detailed, intricate guide for aspirants. SERIOUSLY. haha

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1319234630' post='2324869']

They do! There's a Guide to Religious vocations published every year... it has a full list of all American men and women's religious orders as well as lay volunteering opportunities.
[/quote]

I know the basic lists are out there--and the Web sites of Orders and Community seem to get better and better. But, based on the posts of the women who post on Phatmass, there are still LOTS of questions--some of them necessary to know for discernment, and others that would be "nice to know" or even simply "fun to know." (And, that's just women's vocations! If nothing else, a man has to decide whether to be a diocesan priest, a priest in an order, or a brother--and that's even before he starts learning about different Orders!)

Plus, discerning a vocation is not like going to college--it's for life!

But then, what would we talk about? Something tells me we'd have no trouble finding topics.

AccountDeleted

How to comment on so many different topcis!

Yes, wouldn't be nice if there were some kind of publication about each and every single community - completely detailed and informative about absolutely everything!? But since this probably almost impossible, I guess live-ins are the next best thing! :)

As for the crocs - I love them! And I wore them at two of the Carmels I was in. A lot depends on the environment, weather conditions etc as what footwear is most appropriate... and of course different Orders have different ideas of what constitutes appropriate footwear.

I absolutely had to have flashlights.. but I had different kinds. I bought one that was called a booklight - very small and with a never ending battery it seems, as it is still working today - five years later. It is good to see the alarm clock in the middle of the night (although at one convent I got smart and bought an alarm clock with an inbuilt light). And since each community is different, some allow clocks and watches - others don't.

When in doubt, I always say, 'Ask, ask, ask.' It's better to know for sure and no one had ever objected to my asking permission for something before I entere.

And of course, and someone else posted, they will always supply you with whatever you dont' have or forget.

AccountDeleted

The hard thing for me is that we are heading into summer here and I will be going to the UK in the winter, so finding appropriate clothing might not be too easy! :) There might be some sales on now but I can't get to a large shopping area until at least Thanksgiving (going to Melbourne to be with family then) and by then we will be really hot here - and I'm sure there will be no winter clothes left. *sigh* And I got rid of most of my cold clothes when I went to Perth because it is really hot there.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Clare~Therese' timestamp='1319232516' post='2324842']

[i]Fried[/i] peas?

:paperbag:

That sounds like something my father would eat.
[/quote]

Well, I [i]have [/i]heard of fried corn from a friend in Missouri...You take a couple cans of corn & some flour, salt & pepper & throw it into a skillet of butter or bacon fat & fry it up. Apparently, it is a southern thing. :topsy: