An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trousseau For Carmel - What To Bring - Suggestions Welcome!

Aya Sophia

[img]http://d30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net/upload/91188307_hqBL8caF_b.jpg[/img]

This is part of the postulants habit, correct?

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1319383887' post='2325672']

If you go on [url="http://www.onehanesplace.com"]www.onehanesplace.com[/url] they sell knee socks called "The Softest Socks in the World." And they are! They are also very thick and they STAY UP! Yes, the knee socks are $6.00 a pair, but that is half their normal price!
[/quote]

I ordered a pair! :clap: Thanks for the tip!

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319387941' post='2325706']

[/quote]

oh my...................... :paperbag:

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1319386294' post='2325687']

Ah, but do you have a little old black wool shawl with ratty fringes to cover your head with? (I'd give you mine but it's on my "Using Until the Very Last Minute" list....sorry. :flowers:)
[/quote]
[img]http://www.nataliedee.com/031311/americas-next-top-babushka-cycle-158.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

I would say definitely yes. I coulda sworn I saw something like that come out of the drier at the monastery...

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319389535' post='2325710']

I ordered a pair! :clap: Thanks for the tip!
[/quote]

I'll give you your money back if you're disappointed. And, I really have seen those SAME socks on the Internet for $12! Those socks get me through the winter in Chicago, yet they are so soft and thick, they cuddle my feet--and sometimes that's the lift I need on a gloomy, cold winter day. Plus, the socks make it through the washing machine and dryer just fine (not wool, so don't shrink). Unfortunately, my "washer/dryer fairies" have stolen a few individual socks--never a pair!. I think they like them, too!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

This is a story I have told to others' individually, but I don't think I have posted. If I HAVE posted it, then just skip this post---I won't be insulted. But, it's SUCH a good story of God taking care of an aspirant that, to me, at least, it's worth hearing twice--or three times!

Last year Laetitia Crucis (now Sister Mary Catherine) entered in early October. (Yes, on the Feast Day of Our Lady of the Rosary--the perfect day for her!) In mid-September, she was still finishing her shopping for her entrance list, and needed a pair of sandals.

I'm sure that all of you have had the experience that stores stock merchandise a season ahead, so even if it's 90 degrees in September, it's pretty much impossible to find summer clothes.

But, SMC went to the shoe store, and asked for sandals. They sent her to the clearance section at the back of the store (and I'm sure the clerks were rolling their eyes behind her back).

What did SMC find? The EXACT sandals she wanted, AND in her size, AND for half price.

Now, if that isn't a miracle, I don't know what is.

The strange thing is that this isn't the only story like this related to SMC preparing for postulancy. There were a couple of other times SMC miraculously found what she needed at good prices--such as two long-sleeved plain white blouses and "nun shoes" (but I can't remember the details). The only "shopping need" that failed was her search for green English wellies. They just don't sell them in the U.S. (Well, they do in rare places, but they are usually very expensive, and SMC couldn't find them, in any case.) The NM said they'd buy SMC wellies when she got to England--and when I talked to SMC last summer she said she hadn't gotten her wellies yet because she hadn't needed them.

So, when you're shopping for your pre-convent needs, don't forget to ask God to come along shopping with you. It turns out that besides being amesome at doing things like creating the world, he is a GREAT shopper!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[/quote]

I'm sorry, but that is just HYSTERICAL! If I ever had to wear something like that, I think I'd die of embarrassment. rotfl

Oh, I sooooo want crocheted shorts now! And that hat with the beard on another thread! I really wish I could read crochet patterns but its like Japanese to me so I will have to stick with knitting!

Edited by faithcecelia

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319395308' post='2325751']
Oh, I sooooo want crocheted shorts now! And that hat with the beard on another thread! I really wish I could read crochet patterns but its like Japanese to me so I will have to stick with knitting!
[/quote]

I love these latch hook kits with a pattern and yarn. My mom bought me two a long time ago and they were a lot of fun. I think I'm going to have to buy one because I miss it!

[img]http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-page-main/ehow/images/a06/ge/o4/latchhook-directions-800x800.jpg[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319394817' post='2325743']

I'm sorry, but that is just HYSTERICAL! If I ever had to wear something like that, I think I'd die of embarrassment. rotfl
[/quote]

Yes, I think that having to wear those shorts would be the ultimate in "mortification." The ONLY reason to wear them would be for love.

Something tells me, God (and everyone else in heaven) would get a good chuckle, too--and who are we to deny them a good laugh?

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319395624' post='2325753']

I love these latch hook kits with a pattern and yarn. My mom bought me two a long time ago and they were a lot of fun. I think I'm going to have to buy one because I miss it!

[img]http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-page-main/ehow/images/a06/ge/o4/latchhook-directions-800x800.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I haven't done latch hook. I knit, do cross stitch, blackwork and dressmaking though, but crochet is one I would like to do but can't get my head around it.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1319395775' post='2325755']

Yes, I think that having to wear those shorts would be the ultimate in "mortification." The ONLY reason to wear them would be for love.

Something tells me, God (and everyone else in heaven) would get a good chuckle, too--and who are we to deny them a good laugh?
[/quote]

I love Jesus....but I don't know if I love Him THAT much. :hehe2:

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319396056' post='2325757']

I haven't done latch hook. I knit, do cross stitch, blackwork and dressmaking though, but crochet is one I would like to do but can't get my head around it.
[/quote]

The latch hook kits are a lot of fun. I've tried knitting and didn't really care for it. I used to sew for fun as a kid and got these tiny little cross stitch kits with wooden frames in the shape of hearts, bears, etc. from Wal-Mart for $0.85. I finished them and gave them to my family as Christmas presents one year. I really miss doing that, too. I really need a hobby...

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

MissScripture

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319396056' post='2325757']

[/quote]
What is blackwork? I cross stitch, sew and crochet. I've attempted knitting, but have yet to get the hang of it. But, I've also only been working on that using books. For some reason my grandma will not teach me to knit, though she does both and taught me to crochet (and she taught my sister to knit and crochet). :idontknow: