An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confirmation Dress

FutureCarmeliteClaire

FutureSister2009

I was confirmed long ago. I wore a purplish reddish dress. Looking back now, I realize I would've preferred to wear something better but I can't alter the past unfortunately!

Congratulations on your Confirmation!
I recall with mine over 50yrs ago now that I had had a beautiful First Communion dress. My nana made my confirmation dress and it was oh so very plain especially compared to my First Communion dress. I complained to her about my outstandingly plain Confirmation dress and she replied "The Holy Spirit will adorn it". I have never forgotten that. Not that I think a Confirmation dress should be plain one little bit - not at all. It was just my nan's perspective and the beginning of a lifelong devotion to The Holy Spirit.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1319384403' post='2325675']
For my confirmation we had a sea of white dresses, everything had to be white (literally from our Mantilla's to our shoes) and the boys would wear a white ribbon tied around their right arm overtop of their suits.

It was funny though because then all the english mass kids came in and none of them were wearing white...

:hehe2:
[/quote]
Good stuff. I need a WHITE mantilla, I have ivory, but it will probably stick out with my white dress. I am going to wear red shoes, though :)

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1319390160' post='2325717']
How 'bout a white skirt with a pretty, lacy white blouse?
[/quote]
I have definitely thought about that, that is kind of a last resort for me, because I wear skirts all the time, but it is hard to find dresses and I wanted to do that as something special.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319401585' post='2325803']
Here are some more modest dresses for you, ladies:

[url="http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp?catalog=Clothes&cate=solid%20dresses&productid=CL0019419"]Pleat Waist Cotton Dress [/url](really cute with a bolero)

[url="http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp?catalog=Clothes&cate=solid%20dresses&productid=CL0020197"]Pleated Frill Trim Cotton Dress[/url]

[url="http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp?catalog=Clothes&cate=solid%20dresses&productid=CL0021559"]Ruffle Neck Wrap Dress[/url]

[url="http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp?catalog=Clothes&cate=solid%20dresses&productid=CL0019022"]Ruffle Trim Faux Wrap Dress[/url]

[url="http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp?catalog=Clothes&srch=white&productid=CL0019564&pcat="]Embroidered Neck Cotton Dress[/url]

[url="http://www.eshakti.com/clothpdpage.asp?catalog=Clothes&srch=white&productid=CL0021599&pcat="]Pleated Neck Poplin Dress[/url]
[/quote]

Great suggestions! I am looking for full-length, but I will keep these in mind! Thanks!

[quote name='mme_hardy' timestamp='1319391855' post='2325723']
You have to dress in pure white, head to toe, for Temple ceremonies; hence slippers and so on. Personally, I wouldn't see buying clothing from a Mormon site for Confirmation to be any different from buying tichels/snoods for headcoverings from Jewish and Muslim sites. The clothing is not pre-consecrated; it's just that it's made for specific religious purposes. (Which, in the case of Mormons, requires covering the shoulders, hence the cap sleeves.)
[/quote]
I have a little problem with buying them too, but I prefer to be very covered, just personal modesty taste, and these may be my best bet if my HannahLise dress (http://www.hannahlise.com/embroidered-white-dress/) doesn't come in in time. If I can avoid it, than I will, but right now it seems like one of my best options.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319407447' post='2325841']

extraordinary form
[/quote]

No,

we are from the FSSP mass held there, but the Bishop would only allow us to be confirmed if we did it in the English mass with the English Kids...

Our priest was present though :)

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1319411333' post='2325870']
Congratulations on your Confirmation!
I recall with mine over 50yrs ago now that I had had a beautiful First Communion dress. My nana made my confirmation dress and it was oh so very plain especially compared to my First Communion dress. I complained to her about my outstandingly plain Confirmation dress and she replied "The Holy Spirit will adorn it". I have never forgotten that. Not that I think a Confirmation dress should be plain one little bit - not at all. It was just my nan's perspective and the beginning of a lifelong devotion to The Holy Spirit.
[/quote]
Thanks you! Yes, the one I would like is rather plain, but not at the same time. I am going to wear a sweater as well: http://www.hannahlise.com/embroidered-white-dress/ I love it. That is a beautiful story about your dresses, thank you for sharing.

InPersonaChriste

You can find some really nice dresses on ETSY

http://www.etsy.com/search?search_submit=&ref=auto&q=confirmation+dress&view_type=gallery

But be warned.. some of them are quite expensive.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1319506598' post='2326642']
Thanks you! Yes, the one I would like is rather plain, but not at the same time. I am going to wear a sweater as well: [url="http://www.hannahlise.com/embroidered-white-dress/"]http://www.hannahlis...ed-white-dress/[/url] I love it. That is a beautiful story about your dresses, thank you for sharing.
[/quote]

I think it is really wonderful to wear a white dress that is particularly lovely for one's Confirmation. It is a very big day in a life! I had a look at your dress and thought it simplicity itself (which is beautiful), lovely and elegant.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1319533778' post='2326751']

I think it is really wonderful to wear a white dress that is particularly lovely for one's Confirmation. It is a very big day in a life! I had a look at your dress and thought it simplicity itself (which is beautiful), lovely and elegant.
[/quote]
Thank you! :)

I was confirmed at fifteen. All the other confirmandi were eleven-year-olds from the local Catholic primary school. The catechists used to go into their school to prepare them, so I missed out on a bunch of stuff. The weekend confirmation classes that I did attend weren't really pitched to my level either.

For the Mass itself, I wore a pretty rose-pink blouse that I borrowed from a friend teamed with a plain black skirt. I didn't really have anything suitable of my own, as I wasn't a dressy teenager. My parents weren't very supportive of my confirmation, so I didn't dare to ask for some money to buy a nice outfit, although I would have liked one. I was happy that my (non-Catholic) friend lent the blouse to me - it made me feel cherished by her, even if I didn't exactly look like the most stylish girl in the parish.

The only guest I had at my confirmation was my sponsor. Everybody else had a pew (or two!) full of accompanying family and friends. No one had told me that there would be a 'reserved' pew for each confirmand. I felt a bit self-conscious and lonely with a whole pew just for me and my sponsor, but only for a few seconds. Then something happened.

I struggle to describe that sensation: the burning realisation that I was loved by God in a very particular way, that I had a particular part to play in this community, that I was with Him and He was with me, and that He was in everyone whom I could see and would see in the future.

I remember the final hymn. I remember glimpsing the stained glass altar windows as I went up for Communion. I remember lighting a candle at Mary's shrine afterwards. I don't remember much else. There are no photos. I received only one gift (a beautiful little prayer book) and I lost that in my first year at college. I was extremely upset at the time, as I wanted one treasured memento of that day, and I really valued that book. Now it's gone. I have no physical reminder of my confirmation - not clothes, not photos, not gifts.

I remember my confirmation as a choice. I made up my mind to do it in spite of indifference or even hostility on the part of some of my family. I did it even though my understanding of the faith wasn't fantastic. I took a leap of trust, basically. It was something I knew I wanted very badly, in my own poor muddled way, and God responded to that basic clumsy desire with such loving generosity. My confirmation was very special for that reason, even if it didn't look like it outwardly. I know some of the parishioners felt sorry for me because I didn't have any guests or a party, but they needn't have done. That's not what it's about.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a special dress. Just don't become so caught up with all the beautiful symbolism that you forget the meaning, if you get my drift. These are extras. Externals. What matters the most is the state of your heart.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1319551308' post='2326815']
I was confirmed at fifteen. All the other confirmandi were eleven-year-olds from the local Catholic primary school. The catechists used to go into their school to prepare them, so I missed out on a bunch of stuff. The weekend confirmation classes that I did attend weren't really pitched to my level either.

For the Mass itself, I wore a pretty rose-pink blouse that I borrowed from a friend teamed with a plain black skirt. I didn't really have anything suitable of my own, as I wasn't a dressy teenager. My parents weren't very supportive of my confirmation, so I didn't dare to ask for some money to buy a nice outfit, although I would have liked one. I was happy that my (non-Catholic) friend lent the blouse to me - it made me feel cherished by her, even if I didn't exactly look like the most stylish girl in the parish.

The only guest I had at my confirmation was my sponsor. Everybody else had a pew (or two!) full of accompanying family and friends. No one had told me that there would be a 'reserved' pew for each confirmand. I felt a bit self-conscious and lonely with a whole pew just for me and my sponsor, but only for a few seconds. Then something happened.

I struggle to describe that sensation: the burning realisation that I was loved by God in a very particular way, that I had a particular part to play in this community, that I was with Him and He was with me, and that He was in everyone whom I could see and would see in the future.

I remember the final hymn. I remember glimpsing the stained glass altar windows as I went up for Communion. I remember lighting a candle at Mary's shrine afterwards. I don't remember much else. There are no photos. I received only one gift (a beautiful little prayer book) and I lost that in my first year at college. I was extremely upset at the time, as I wanted one treasured memento of that day, and I really valued that book. Now it's gone. I have no physical reminder of my confirmation - not clothes, not photos, not gifts.

I remember my confirmation as a choice. I made up my mind to do it in spite of indifference or even hostility on the part of some of my family. I did it even though my understanding of the faith wasn't fantastic. I took a leap of trust, basically. It was something I knew I wanted very badly, in my own poor muddled way, and God responded to that basic clumsy desire with such loving generosity. My confirmation was very special for that reason, even if it didn't look like it outwardly. I know some of the parishioners felt sorry for me because I didn't have any guests or a party, but they needn't have done. That's not what it's about.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a special dress. Just don't become so caught up with all the beautiful symbolism that you forget the meaning, if you get my drift. These are extras. Externals. What matters the most is the state of your heart.
[/quote]
Wow, that a beautiful but somewhat sad story. I'm sure it would have been nice to have those extras, but you are so right, that is not what it is about. I am not having a party even though a lot of people have suggested it, I don't want one, because I feel that it would detract from the Sacrament in a way, if all everyone was worrying about was the party afterwards. I am going to dinner with my sponsor, my Godparents, my parents, and my grandparents, and that is all I want. I want the sacrament most of all. I am the youngest in my Confirmation class because I requested permission to do it a year early, I wanted this really, really badly. I am very thankful that my parents have been so supportive of my decision to do it early, but several people are not happy about it. One of my CCD teachers from last year (not my sponsor) was very hostile towards me once she found out I wanted to do it early, and several friends were not too fond of the idea. My parish usually does Confirmation in 9th grade when the kids are 14 or 15 years old. I am 13 and in 8th grade. I am doing just fine in the classes, so I am happy about that, but it is hard to have people not supportive of me wanting that sacrament. That is absolutely beautiful about how you felt that God loves you so much, which He does, He loves every one of us. Amazing.