An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Us Hopeful Religious...

FutureCarmeliteClaire

FutureCarmeliteClaire

And for those of us being Confirmed or have been Confirmed, how did the fact that you feel called to the religious life affect who you chose as your sponsor who would thence help you carry on the Faith for the rest of your life.

I know that it probably did for me. I decided not to choose my Godmother because I wasn't sure if I'd be totally comfortable asking her about matters of concern or spiritual help that I might want. Plus, I felt to an extent that it was my turn to choose a Godparent.

The woman I chose has been supportive of my vocation since day 1 of when she found out about it. I am so thankful. Before I met her, I had been praying for someone to come into my life to be my sponsor and also who would be supportive of my vocation. The Holy Spirit answered my prayers and St. Therese (my Confirmation saint) definitely interceded for me. My Confirmation sponsor, Angie, was my CCD teacher last year. Last year was a really hard year in CCD for me, though the other girls didn't know it, they made me feel bad because I know a lot about the Faith. I felt SO out of place, and then my amazing teacher came into my life and we started e-mailing, and the rest is history. How does something like that even happen without God making is happen? Exactly, it doesn't happen unless God makes it happen. In regards to her tremendous support of my vocation, she has given me much advice and help.
I love hearing other people's stories, what is yours?

Edited by FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1319508059' post='2326651']
And for those of us being Confirmed or have been Confirmed, how did the fact that you feel called to the religious life affect who you chose as your sponsor who would thence help you carry on the Faith for the rest of your life.
[/quote]

When I was Confirmed at age 13 I barely knew anything about the faith, didnt know enough about any saint to pick one for a Confirmation name, had my mom as my sponsor by default since I think the last time I met my God parents was when I was baptized, I cared more about guys than anything, and religious life was the furthest thing from my mind. I remember putting up a fight to not even go to Confirmation class!

When I started discerning, years after being Confirmed because Im slow, I had no one to help but God provided with a couple of very tenacious saints for God parents as well as a God sister, and some amazing real life friends too. Ok my story is over so wake up!!! :P

yes God definitely provides!!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

That is wonderful that you have come such a long way. I am 13 and being Confirmed this year and I am so thankful to have the people in my life that I do have.

I have chosen my SD/confessor, Fr.Long. He knows my soul best. Why not choose him? :)

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1319509677' post='2326667']

When I was Confirmed at age 13 I barely knew anything about the faith, didnt know enough about any saint to pick one for a Confirmation name, had my mom as my sponsor by default since I think the last time I met my God parents was when I was baptized, I cared more about guys than anything, and religious life was the furthest thing from my mind. I remember putting up a fight to not even go to Confirmation class!

When I started discerning, years after being Confirmed because Im slow, I had no one to help but God provided with a couple of very tenacious saints for God parents as well as a God sister, and some amazing real life friends too. Ok my story is over so wake up!!! :P

[/quote]

We're not allowed to choose parents... but I chose mine either way.hahaha GET IT??? xD

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319510010' post='2326672']
I have chosen my SD/confessor, Fr.Long. He knows my soul best. Why not choose him? :)

We're not allowed to choose parents... but I chose mine either way.hahaha GET IT??? xD
[/quote]
That is great! I am asking my Confessor to be my SD on Wednesday if I get him in Confession that day...

Noice, well, Pater Longus isn't at my parish. He's the secretariat of Christian formation and he runs the men's discernment house. He's a g. He sings the bed intruder song and the song from Charlie the Unicorn. He's so weird hahahah

LaPetiteSoeur

I think I was 13 when I was confirmed. Either 13 or 12. At that point, I had told myself that I WAS IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS [b]NOT [/b]GOING TO BE A SISTER. I picked my grandmother, since we had always had a great relationship and she'd been my spiritual guide. She still is!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

That is hilarious! Is he a young priest? I bet he is :) My Confessor is the associate pastor at my parish. My pastor is way too liberal, in fact, we have been having some problems with him. He wants to get rid of the beautiful Latin chant and music that our Music director uses, and sing "old" hymns (I'm guessing "old" meaning the 70's and he wants a Marty Mass...) Anywho... You have to watch this, Stanford reminds me of my pastor :):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1FOOto-JpU&feature=youtu.be There are more of these if you like them. Wow, I went really off topic...

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1319510601' post='2326685']
I think I was 13 when I was confirmed. Either 13 or 12. At that point, I had told myself that I WAS IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS [b]NOT [/b]GOING TO BE A SISTER. I picked my grandmother, since we had always had a great relationship and she'd been my spiritual guide. She still is!
[/quote]
That is great that she is still a good spiritual guide for you! I am glad that I am feeling this call now...

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1319510846' post='2326692']
REminds me of mypastor...
[/quote]
Really? Well, I guess it could remind a lot of us of our pastor...

MissScripture

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1319509677' post='2326667']

[/quote]
We weren't allowed to pick parents. I thought that was an actual rule, like you can't be a Godparent to your own child. :idontknow:

Out of curiosity, are religious allowed to be confirmation sponsors? Or is that something that depends on the order? I suppose that cloistered religious couldn't be, but can active? I'm just curious, because I chose my confirmation sponsor because she was the sort of person I wanted to be, a holy wife and mother. And now, I'm at least a wife and mother, doubtful on that holy part...but I'm working on it! lol.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1319511019' post='2326695']
We weren't allowed to pick parents. I thought that was an actual rule, like you can't be a Godparent to your own child. :idontknow:

Out of curiosity, are religious allowed to be confirmation sponsors? Or is that something that depends on the order? I suppose that cloistered religious couldn't be, but can active? I'm just curious, because I chose my confirmation sponsor because she was the sort of person I wanted to be, a holy wife and mother. And now, I'm at least a wife and mother, doubtful on that holy part...but I'm working on it! lol.
[/quote]
Yes, it is an actual rule, hm... Like a Canon Law rule... Yes, Religious can be sponsors. One of my friend's sponsor was our Deacon, and I ahve heard of nuns being sponsors.

[/quote]

I chose a priest. Yeah, from what I understand thye can be,

[/quote]

Its only practicality that would prevent a cloistered religious being a sponsor (or godparent). I know of cases where the confirmation or baptism has taken place at the monastery, with religious as godparents/sponsers.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319534303' post='2326757']

Its only practicality that would prevent a cloistered religious being a sponsor (or godparent). I know of cases where the confirmation or baptism has taken place at the monastery, with religious as godparents/sponsers.
[/quote]
WOW, that is definitely amazing, Is suppose it is not very common, though.