An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Us Hopeful Religious...

FutureCarmeliteClaire

NovemberFourth

I am horrified to admit I cannot be sure who my sponsor was. I suspect it was my Grandmother. I checked with my Mother and she cannot remember. :(

N4

Edited by NovemberFourth

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1319591481' post='2327085']
Huh? Sorry, I am slow, I don't get the G's and H's :) Lol.
[/quote]

I am glad a young un like you asked, I thought I was just too old to understand! :hehe2:

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='NovemberFourth' timestamp='1319607140' post='2327176']
I am horrified to admit I cannot be sure who my sponsor was. I suspect it was my Grandmother. I checked with my Mother and she cannot remember. :(

N4
[/quote]
My sponsor doesn't even remember if she had a sponsor, she didn't know her saint until last week when she called the Church and they gave her that info, but they didn't mention a sponsor. She is very mad at herself.

My godmother was my Confirmation sponsor, but, now, I wished I had chosen someone more active in the faith. At the time, though, I really didn't care about what Confirmation really meant as I am a cradle Catholic who reverted to the Church in Dec. 2007. Before that, I was very much lukewarm. If given the choice again right now, I probably would choose my mom because she and I are much closer than I am to my godmother. But I know my godmother was very honored when I was confirmed in April 1998, so I can't say I fully regret my decision. It's just that I don't feel like I can talk to her openly. :blush:

i<3franciscans

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1319510601' post='2326685']
I think I was 13 when I was confirmed. Either 13 or 12. At that point, I had told myself that I WAS IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS [b]NOT [/b]GOING TO BE A SISTER.
[/quote]
Same... but I picked my grandfather.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1319628021' post='2327206']
My godmother was my Confirmation sponsor, but, now, I wished I had chosen someone more active in the faith.
[/quote]
I can relate (kinda). My godmother stopped going to Church (for an unknown reason) when I turn 4 or 5. She was a great Catholic and I still love her very much... but I get zero spiritual help from her.

MissScripture

Neither of my Godparents go to Church anymore. :( And they're kind of anti-religion now. While it makes me sad for them, it really makes me sad for my cousin who is also their Goddaughter. I've been meaning to do more for her as "Godsister" but I always forget. :( But I will definitely be sending her a nice gift when she gets confirmed this year.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1319654589' post='2327368']
Neither of my Godparents go to Church anymore. :( And they're kind of anti-religion now. While it makes me sad for them, it really makes me sad for my cousin who is also their Goddaughter. I've been meaning to do more for her as "Godsister" but I always forget. :( But I will definitely be sending her a nice gift when she gets confirmed this year.
[/quote]
It is a hard situation to be in I know. I want to do SOMETHING for her, but it is not "my place" exactly. My God parents aren't married either so I would not have any support from anybody if I did try to do something. I do pray for her though. I often try to tell myself that God made her my godmother so that I could take care of her soul. :) It is a nice way to look at things instead of thinking how sad it is all the time.

I'm a convert so my Godmother/friend is my sponsor. So thus our relationship is a little different than "normal" (she is actually younger than I am by about 3 months!). She is a really close friend and so I feel comfortable sharing stuff with her. Before I asked to be my Godmother/sponsor she had helped me through some rough times. She was also one of the first people to inspire me to discern a religious vocation.
Now that I am an RCIA sponsor myself (and I guess Godmother eek!) I will share little things with her that are going on. For example they never tell you that you will lose sleep sometimes over your catechumen/candidate. She just laughs and tells me that she went through the very same things with me.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1319749829' post='2327894']
I'm a convert so my Godmother/friend is my sponsor. So thus our relationship is a little different than "normal" (she is actually younger than I am by about 3 months!). She is a really close friend and so I feel comfortable sharing stuff with her. Before I asked to be my Godmother/sponsor she had helped me through some rough times. She was also one of the first people to inspire me to discern a religious vocation.
Now that I am an RCIA sponsor myself (and I guess Godmother eek!) I will share little things with her that are going on. For example they never tell you that you will lose sleep sometimes over your catechumen/candidate. She just laughs and tells me that she went through the very same things with me.
[/quote]
How wonderful! I love your story. Mine helped me with some rough times spiritually as well, even before she was my sponsor, and now that she is, she has taken on her role even more. I am very, very happy about it :) I was thinking in a few years maybe I will be an RCIT sponsor... Wow, I hope my sponsor is not loosing sleep over me, lol! She doesn't remember her own Confirmation at all, so she says she likes to call my Confirmation "our" Confirmation :) She said she feels like she is being Confirmed as well, but with me as her sponsor, lol.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

My godmother was my Confirmation sponsor, but, now, I wished I had chosen someone more active in the faith. At the time, though, I really didn't care about what Confirmation really meant as I am a cradle Catholic who reverted to the Church in Dec. 2007. Before that, I was very much lukewarm. If given the choice again right now, I probably would choose my mom because she and I are much closer than I am to my godmother. But I know my godmother was very honored when I was confirmed in April 1998, so I can't say I fully regret my decision. It's just that I don't feel like I can talk to her openly. :blush:
[/quote]
[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1319653561' post='2327362']
I can relate (kinda). My godmother stopped going to Church (for an unknown reason) when I turn 4 or 5. She was a great Catholic and I still love her very much... but I get zero spiritual help from her.
[/quote]
[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1319654589' post='2327368']
[/quote]
I'm sorry for all of you. My Godmother is still Catholic, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable asking her for spiritual advice, and how I feel totally comfortable asking for spiritual advice from my now-sponsor who I've only known for almost exactly a year, I do not know. I suppose you could say that God put her in my life, and it was His will.

Little Flower

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1319511019' post='2326695']
Out of curiosity, are religious allowed to be confirmation sponsors? Or is that something that depends on the order? I suppose that cloistered religious couldn't be, but can active? I'm just curious, because I chose my confirmation sponsor because she was the sort of person I wanted to be, a holy wife and mother. And now, I'm at least a wife and mother, doubtful on that holy part...but I'm working on it! lol.
[/quote]

i suppose orders might have their own rules, but theres no canon law that says religious can't be sponsors. My uncle was a MC priest and he was my and my older brother's sponsor. He was gonna be my younger bro's sponsor but he passed away several months before his confirmation.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319534303' post='2326757']

Its only practicality that would prevent a cloistered religious being a sponsor (or godparent). I know of cases where the confirmation or baptism has taken place at the monastery, with religious as godparents/sponsers.
[/quote]
Actually the practicality wouldn't matter. My uncle wasn't able to come to either my or my brother's confirmation, we had proxy's stand in place. My brother had my dad as his proxy and I had my godmother as my proxy.

[/quote]
I know what you mean... my godmother is Catholic, and I think she goes to church every Sunday, but she isn't super religious if you know what I mean. I went to visit the Summit Dominicans while we were visiting at her house, and so she obviously found out that I want to be a nun. She wasn't rude or anything but she was asking me questions about it and you could tell that she had absolutely no idea why I would ever want to do something like that... she was very nice about it, I could just see she didn't understand. I've never received any spiritual help or anything from either of my godparents actually.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1319770465' post='2328031']

I know what you mean... my godmother is Catholic, and I think she goes to church every Sunday, but she isn't super religious if you know what I mean. I went to visit the Summit Dominicans while we were visiting at her house, and so she obviously found out that I want to be a nun. She wasn't rude or anything but she was asking me questions about it and you could tell that she had absolutely no idea why I would ever want to do something like that... she was very nice about it, I could just see she didn't understand. I've never received any spiritual help or anything from either of my godparents actually.
[/quote]
I just got back from camping with my Godmother, and I had like the same experience as you. She just did not understand why I would want ANYTHING like that, and it made me kind of sad, but I still have my amazing Confirmation sponsor who can and has helped me through anything and everything. I sent her an e-mail after talking to my Godmother and I said, "I learned that not everyone is as excited and happy for me as you are, and I will not take that for granted. Thank you for always being there for me."